Real Names, Rule #2

Ron Earp

Admin
Guys,

GT40s.com has had the long standing tradition of members using their real name to identify themselves. The use of a name instead of a handle might be quaint and old fashioned, but I firmly believe it generates a sense of community and improves the quality of the site. And in fact, we have made this tradition into Rule #2 of the forum, which means you must use your real name as your Display Name. Your Display Name can be changed in your User Control Panel and is different from your login ID.

The use of your "real name" means that you'll be using your given name, not an abbreviation. You know, the name on your birth certificate, John, Bob, Fred, and the like - not RT, LB, John2998, Fred666, and so on. Ain't nobody's mama scrawled RT on a birth certificate after carrying you around for nine months.

I know that some of you feel like you still have privacy in 2014, so if it makes you feel better then abbreviate your last name with a letter. Doesn't even have to be your real last name either, for example, I might choose Ron P. But I don't choose Ron P, because I'm Ron Earp. And, I realize if the thin veil of privacy this forum offers is all that stands between me and the long arm of the law, or my employer busting me for wasting time on the internet, then I've got bigger problems in life.

So if you see a fellow poster on GT40s.com not using their name, you know their display name is a handle like BANNED, SUPPRESED, THE STIG, GP, CAPTIAN CRUNCH, etc., and you happen to enjoy their company, then you might want to drop them a PM and ask them to comply with Rule #2. Because I'm not sending any more PM's asking people to comply with a rule they agreed to comply with when they signed on. It's far easier as a moderator to simply delete the user, and I'll be asking the moderators to do just that.

Thanks,
Ron

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Seeking Information

I ask kindly and respectfully for assistance to help me better understand the concern about real names.

Perhaps my assumptions are in error. People join the forum by filling out a form. Anyone could use a fictitious name in that process. For those of us who joined and used are real names, then the Forum owner and staff already have access to that information.

It may be more polite, and possibly a more friendly atmosphere for viewers to see so called real names, but they could be fictitious none the less. It may discourage people from making very outrageous statements, but probably not.

I tend to believe it should be an all or nothing effort. People should provide proof of the real name before they can join, and everyone should use that name. However, that would cause many not to join or halt their participation resulting in a lose lose conundrum.

I am not paranoid, but do have security concerns like most others do. And, with that in mind, remember that all non member viewers can see the real names, locate valuable car owners, and well, hopefully I've made my point.

I truly love the Forum, and I know it's a lot of hard work to maintain. I'm happy to help support it and for the owner to make a profit. I would hate to see another person start a competing Forum that may fracture or split the wonderful momentum and camaraderie we now have and enjoy so much.

No one has informed me what the benefits or need is to publish real names.

Thank you so much in advance for any additional information.

Robert

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Robert,

The point of "Rule #2" is to have an atmosphere that is friendly, cordial, social, and a notch above the average forum. I think we've achieved that goal and disallowing "handles" goes a long way toward making that a reality.

Now to clarify, while we encourage the use of your real name, what is actually encouraged is to use a proper name. We don't care if it is actually your real name.

You can be Fred, Bill, Jon, and so on, even if your name is Robert.

But you can't be The Stig, FinkBoy34, soulcoaxer, or 2Fast4U.

I thought I explained that in the first post but maybe I didn't get it right. At any rate, GT40s.com has long required the use of "real names", probably since around 2003, so I don't think we're putting too many people out with the requirement.

Best regards,
Ron

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi all.

In this day and age I find it incredible that anyone thinks or actually believes that they have any privacy or confidentiality.

I own and run an Electronic Security Installations business and the amount of personal information available through all the possible sources, Govt, council, businesses, credit card agencies, banks, etc which the majority of people don't about would make your hair turn grey.

Just for example think about every time you have applied for credit, bought a house, car, boat, gone to the doctor or hospital, changed jobs, etc you have given out all manner of personal details which is now on a database and available to all.

There are a multitude of companies that make money from passing on database information to anyone that wants to buy it.

When you buy, build, or renovate your house you get inundated with trades contacting you with their services because the council has sold them the lists of building approvals they have done to earn more revenue.

To be worried about your real name being attached to a forum like this in the interest of "privacy" is akin to sticking your head in the sand and believing the world does not exist.

Think about it.

Dimi

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Hi Robert,

The point of "Rule #2" is to have an atmosphere that is friendly, cordial, social, and a notch above the average forum. I think we've achieved that goal and disallowing "handles" goes a long way toward making that a reality.

Now to clarify, while we encourage the use of your real name, what is actually encouraged is to use a proper name. We don't care if it is actually your real name.

You can be Fred, Bill, Jon, and so on, even if your name is Robert.

But you can't be The Stig, FinkBoy34, soulcoaxer, or 2Fast4U.

I thought I explained that in the first post but maybe I didn't get it right. At any rate, GT40s.com has long required the use of "real names", probably since around 2003, so I don't think we're putting too many people out with the requirement.

Best regards,
Ron

In the box surrounding my avatar pict, It does say Soulcoaxer, but it also says Robert. I changed it to Robert S. I cannot locate the area within the CP to erase Soulcoaxer. Can you please direct me. Robert

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
From the user CP you can see where you put your real name.
I choose to not use my full last name. Randy V. Is it here.
I also choose to not show my date of birth as it is considered to be confidential / sensitive information (I deal with such things daily at work). Yes I do know it is embedded in the image I provided here - but can not be easily harvested by automated means.

You are not given the option to change the "Handle" you may have originally registered with (like I had back when it was still an acceptable practice here).

Do I have anything to hide? Maybe? Maybe not? Is it anyone else's business even if I do? No.

Robert, I think your name is fine and Soulcoaxer should be fine as well until such point in time that the software allows us to change it.

That said, maybe there is a place in the Administrator Control panel, but users don't have access to that here.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
In the box surrounding my avatar pict, It does say Soulcoaxer, but it also says Robert. I changed it to Robert S. I cannot locate the area within the CP to erase Soulcoaxer. Can you please direct me. Robert

Robert, I think you're worrying about much of nothing with the names on GT40s.com.

You have "Robert" as your Display Name. That is fine. Your login ID is "soulcoaxer". That is perfectly fine. You're good.

The rules require your "Display Name" to be some sort of real name, Joe, Bob, Fred, Robert, and so on. I like to use the name my mother gave me, you might want to use something other than Robert to preserve your internet anonymity, but I think you'd be grasping at straws.

If you'd like to start another GT40 forum where people aren't required to use their "real name" I can give you some points and tips as to software to avoid and so on.

There's an easy solution, small tweak to the rule:-

You must enter a sensible name, Bert, Fred, Bill, Ron, (we will accept non-abbreviated).... but this name must NOT be your real name, therefore satisfying both perspectives.

Regards Beth (why not).

Ron Earp

Admin
You must enter a sensible name, Bert, Fred, Bill, Ron, (we will accept non-abbreviated).... but this name must NOT be your real name, therefore satisfying both perspectives.

...except then the majority of us who prefer to use our given name would be prohibited from doing so.

I don't have any issues using my real name even though I don't post her very often. I think my full name is in there anyway, but if its not it will be shortly.

Best,
~Earl J

Back