"Like" button?

On another forum I frequent, (advrider.com), they swapped their forum to a newer version that allows people to "like" a posting. Ive noticed that in some build threads, people will comment just for "liking" the way the car is being built and not really adding anything to the conversation. Of course, if there are questions about the original poster's build, they ask; and thats fine.

Im wondering if you guys have considered swapping to a newer style forum to be able to "Like" a post instead of cluttering up threads with posts that don't add anything to it? If not, thats ok. I like the simplicity (kind of "old school" forum) that you have here.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Ron Poast

Supporter
Hi Everyone.
I have a pacemaker, Can I safely tig steel with a non high freek machine? If so , what would be the top amps I could use?
Ron

Keith

On another forum I frequent, (advrider.com), they swapped their forum to a newer version that allows people to "like" a posting. Ive noticed that in some build threads, people will comment just for "liking" the way the car is being built and not really adding anything to the conversation. Of course, if there are questions about the original poster's build, they ask; and thats fine.

Im wondering if you guys have considered swapping to a newer style forum to be able to "Like" a post instead of cluttering up threads with posts that don't add anything to it? If not, thats ok. I like the simplicity (kind of "old school" forum) that you have here.

Thank you. :thumbsup:

Hmmm. If we "Like" something, we tend to state it - in words. If we don't like something, we tend to state it - in words. If you believe that is "old fashioned" and "cluttered" then that's your view but mine is that it is the mature and correct way to respond. A Like/Dislike button is fodder for the anonymous and this is very much a community..

That's my opinion. I'm sure there are others. Please Like/Dislike in an analogue fashion (for now) :laugh:

I'm with Justin.

Having a "like" button allows you to show appreciation without having to add a separate post. Much less cluttered...you don't have to scroll through a bunch short posts saying "good job" "nice work" "I agree" ect, just to get to the ones where someone actually wanted to add something substantial.

It's not about "community" or minimizing conversation...it's simply a more efficient method of bookkeeping and communication.

Keith

Oh bugger. An "improvement" then... we're screwed.. :)

Hmmm.. I'm singularly unmoved but it's up to our dear Leader. I hope we can generate more opinions though - an interesting development.

I have to say, I quite like seeing who approves or disapproves. I would be irked seeing "unlikes" or whatever you call the damned things and I didn't know who or why.

I believe what you suggest is possibly more relevant to an opinion based forum and "likes" etc are used for agreeing or encouraging the post, subject matter or OP. I can't imagine a situation on a technical forum where you might not "like" someone's method of folding aluminum and pressing a "dislike" button. What's to be learned from that? Or even "liking" the way he crimped the bushings - he might be doing it wrong! If you say, well they can still chime in verbally anyway then it rather defeats the point of being super efficient on a hobby forum...

Last edited:
Keith,

The one other forum I frequent with regularity is ClubCobra, virtually identical in format and tenor as this one, except that it is focused on .....Shelby Cobras. Nevertheless, there is a lot of crossover in attendance between the two.

I'm sure that those who visit both forums will have ample opportunity to chime in. Really, it doesn't much matter to me if anything changes here, it's not like its a deal-breaker.

Then again, maybe I'll start my own forum who's sole purpose is to allow its members to hit the "like" button with impunity. Finally, my life has purpose!

Keith

You have a point! But it my case, it's bound to be the 'dislike' button gets worn out first.. :( Maybe, just maybe, if I leave off the 'dislike' button though...hmmmmm

As you say though, interesting to see what others think..

I wouldn't mind a 'like' button. I've used it on other forums. I chime in from time to time with a short comment on forums without a 'like' button. Not trying to gum up threads or boost post count, but think sometimes it's nice to comment on someone's work since they took the time to document and post something worthwhile.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I have no interest in a "like" button.

Cheers!!

Doug

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I'd prefer a "like" button -- keeps the threads cleaner. You would be free to pontificate on why you like something if you wanted. However, if you want to dislike, you have to explain why.

What I have seen is that you can "like" a post, and you can "un-like" something you've previously "liked". But, I haven't seen an option to "dislike" anything.

When you "like" something, your name gets added to a list of all the others that have "liked" a particular post. This is all tabulated in a kind of footer at the bottom of the original post. That way, you don't have to add an additional post with a smiley face, thumbs up, or brief message of support. If you change your mind later, you can remove your name from the list by "unlike-ing" the post.

Clear as mud.

Keith

I am loath to support any idea that was spawned by Zuckerbrook. Ron - only my posts will have a dislike button...Sorry, I meant "Unlike" :) :thumbsdown:

Back