New User Registrations

Ron Earp

Admin
Starting immediately all new users will have to be approved by an admin. We've had a rash of spammers lately, all with Pac Rim/Russian domain registrations, so having a human approve them should take care of the problem.

New users, make sure you click on the registration email for verification and then be patient while we get around to approving your registration.

Thanks,
Ron

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Thank you... I can't tell you how many spammers I have booted in the last few days...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Off topic...but maybe not. I see on many of the forums I frequent "spammers" advertising various health supplements, etc...most often they clearly do not understand English or speak it, otherwise their "language" would not be so disordered.

One has to wonder if they make a living spamming like this...it can't be easy if they do, they are sort of like the telemarketers that bother us at dinner time and want us to answer a 45 minute survey (they describe that as a "short" survey).

...oh, well...onward through the fog!

Cheers to you mod's for keeping the forum free from this unnecessary distraction!!!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Randy,

Just booted another one! We are being attacked at a furious pace!

I have deleted at least twenty in the last few days and that does not count what you and the other Mods have put a bullet through!

Spammin' basturds! I do notice all are for "live streaming" sports events so perhaps we can I.D. them via that.

Effectivly one cannot imagine the work all the "forum mod team" is doing "behind the pits ":worried:
Thank's a lot to all MODs and to Ron to keep the forum so "clean" and ..... pacefull !!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
Update:

Approved three new users today based on a) seemingly logical info in their profiles, b) email addresses that didn't look computer generated, c) registration came from US/UK/Euro/Aus/NZ/Japan.

Deleted a few based on a) seemingly computer generated email, b) no info in profile or bio, c) registration came from Russia, Brazil, and some Eastern Euro country, countries where the spammers were seen coming from before. Hate to profile but something has to be done. If they are real users, and I doubt it, they'll re-apply, I'll apologize, and we'll move on.

Why not require all new registrations be approved via a moderator before being able to join/post? If they have to wait to be approved so be it.

Ron Earp

Admin
Happy Thanksgiving!

Another update: We are getting about one real registration in ten at the moment. There is no doubt that a bot has "GT40s.com" targeted. We're getting eight or so spam registrations a day and they all have a similar pattern to how the bot registers them as well as IP addresses. Easily deleted, just a pain in the ass to deal with.

What I'll probably do is change the question that you have to answer to register. Someone has told the bot "real name" so we'll switch back to a common GT40 bit of trivia that anyone would know.

Pat

Supporter
How about "What's the best GT40 replica?".

That should put the BOT into a circular loop and crash it.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I just now nuked anothe spammer. Carmen something or other...

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone who deletes spam - make sure you are deleting the thread AND banning the user. No reason need be given to the user.

Only one in the line today.

MilamEvajde

I approved it but think it's a spammer. Watch for them.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I make sure that when I delete Spam, I click the button to remove all that the user has posted and then invoke the never-lift ban with "Spammer" as the reason.

I am not receiving any requests for approval via email. Should I be? Please feel free to share them with us moderators.
Or do I need to be in the Administration site to see them? Not even sure I have that level of access myself..

Back