GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > >

Notices

Site Questions, Suggestions, & Comments Need help with the forum? Look here!

Old 17th May 2018, 08:06 AM   #21
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.
Re: GT40s Forum Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
What I was asking about was whether or not we could "include" or "exclude" certain forums (such as those I listed above, which I seldom read) and in essence create our own "forum" from the options Ron has already provided.
I hear you but I don't think GT40s.com gets so many posts we need to selectively show only a select few subforums. I could see that on some forums I visit with literally 1000s of posts a day but here we probably average 30 new posts per day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ron Earp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2018, 09:30 AM   #22
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

I agree Ron....
Also - with added features comes complexity which can bite you really hard sometimes..
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 07:22 AM   #23
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

Alright folks, no other requests? Overall I'd say we don't have many features on the "to do" list. Sure there aren't cool things you've seen on other forums you'd like to see here?

Old 18th May 2018, 09:49 AM   #24
IanAnderson
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United Kingdom

GT40: Dax 40 Mk1 (Rov

Better search facility?

With search also covering the paddock

Can you it ignore the political religious and guns sub forum?

Ian
Old 18th May 2018, 03:01 PM   #25
YerDugliness
United States

GT40: 1/24 scale MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAnderson View Post

Can you it ignore the political religious and guns sub forum?

Ian
Ian, that's what I've been asking about (sort of...read on) ...a way for each of us to "customize" the forum content that is visible and "hide" what isn't interesting. I'm not a programmer, but considering the magic programmers can create this shouldn't be a difficult task...but, then, I've never run a forum so I wouldn't know what the "limitations" are.

I read the technical boards on a fairly limited (but regular) basis...and there are some I do read every day (I particularly enjoy building engines).

I kinda like Ron's idea....make the Paddock availability subject to request to a forum admin...and if you get what you want and still piss and moan, you're OUT!

That wouldn't do what you want, though...nor would what I was suggesting. I don't know what Ron and the rest of the admins could do to enable us to "hide" just certain threads on a sub-forum (such as the climate change thread)...perhaps there does exist a method whereby that can be accomplished, too.

I use to look at new posts as soon as I signed on...now I just look at the various forums and pick and choose which posts I'll read based on the information on the screen.

One thing's for certain...this forum gets 90% of my attention on the net.

Cheers to Ron and his crew of Admins!

Doug
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 03:52 PM   #26
IanAnderson
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Ian, that's what I've been asking about (sort of...read on) ...a way for each of us to "customize" the forum content that is visible and "hide" what isn't interesting. I'm not a programmer, but considering the magic programmers can create this shouldn't be a difficult task...but, then, I've never run a forum so I wouldn't know what the "limitations" are.

I read the technical boards on a fairly limited (but regular) basis...and there are some I do read every day (I particularly enjoy building engines).

I kinda like Ron's idea....make the Paddock availability subject to request to a forum admin...and if you get what you want and still piss and moan, you're OUT!

That wouldn't do what you want, though...nor would what I was suggesting. I don't know what Ron and the rest of the admins could do to enable us to "hide" just certain threads on a sub-forum (such as the climate change thread)...perhaps there does exist a method whereby that can be accomplished, too.

I use to look at new posts as soon as I signed on...now I just look at the various forums and pick and choose which posts I'll read based on the information on the screen.

One thing's for certain...this forum gets 90% of my attention on the net.

Cheers to Ron and his crew of Admins!

Doug
Doug
I used to really like the paddock, jokes, dilemma thread, discussing which truck to buy, etc.

There are a couple of threads that have chased people away. They polarise people and in my mind deflect from this fantastic forum. I doubt anyone’s posts on these threads will change anyone else’s opinions. More name calling, and other derogatory comments are on these threads than the rest of the forum put together.

I hate to say this but that section has wound me up so much that for two individuals I would not cross the road and put them out if they were on fire. One I would just carry on walking and the other perhaps I would urinate on him but that would be as far as I would assist.

Look back and see how I and others have assisted people around the world, complete strangers, so what? They needed a hand and it got sorted! But these threads are so antagonistic These sections have driven a wedge between good people and chased a number of them away!

Just my 2p worth (UK currency)

Let’s leave some stuff .........and get back to cars, engines, transaxle discussions and fantastic builds. After all that is what brought us to the forum.

Ian
Old 18th May 2018, 05:13 PM   #27
jac mac
I Have No Life
New Zealand

Absolutely agree Ian, and the list of missing active posters continues to grow. I occasionally view the paddock politic and gun threads, but its not because of an active interest in the topics, but more because I recognise the individuals and think what is this tosser dribbling on about now, and usually after reading a couple of sentences left click outa there! Back in the early days of limited bandwidth maybe even Ron might have not tolerated such continued useless rubbish.
Old 18th May 2018, 06:02 PM   #28
Big-Foot
Administrator
United States

GT40: Gulf Cart

Politics & Guns in the Paddock are no longer an issue thanks to a couple of guys that just had to continue spewing their venom....
Keith and I did the best we could with it.
GT40 RCR40 #45 G50-331-Weber IDAs ((Sold))
My build site:
Big-Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 12:13 AM   #29
Bob Woods
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: Tornado GT40

I look at the new posts every day. I read the ones I'm interested in and pass on the others. I'm glad that the paddock is not listed on the new posts (or if they are there I guess I don't even notice them). I have zero interest in the paddock but as long as their posts are not shown on the new posts I have no objection if you keep it. Those people that want to read it can go directly there. To me it doesn't exist. No big deal either way. I don't think you need to make it restrictive.

I too wish the search feature was better. For example I searched for swirl pot and found a good thread on the second page. Maybe if I put quotes around the word sequence I wanted it might be more explicit. That might be a feature now but I haven't tried it. If it is not then that would be a good feature to add. My search should exclude the paddock. Maybe they could have their own search.

An automatic rescaling of photos would be nice so I don't have to do it myself.

I think the forum is just fine as it is. I'm not a fan of change and I don't like change just for change's sake. I like the format and feel of the forum now.

Bob Woods
Tornado GT40 in Texas
Bob Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 02:58 AM   #30
IanAnderson
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
Politics & Guns in the Paddock are no longer an issue thanks to a couple of guys that just had to continue spewing their venom....
Keith and I did the best we could with it.
Randy,
Thank you for all your time and patience in moderating this forum, I know Keith Brett, Ron and the other mods have also spent hours keeping us in line. You guys really took on a thankless task, and I for one appreciate it.

Jac and Bob thanks for the agreement.
Bob, I too read threads daily, in fact I believe I have read every post on every thread on this forum since I joined in 2003. I need to get out and drive my DAX more

Ian
Old 19th May 2018, 06:09 AM   #31
Jkviper
Rookie
United States

GT40: SLC on order

Hi, I’m relatively new to this forum but enjoy many other forums so here are a few comments.

1)From a functionality standpoint Hellcat.org I find is one of the best, you can upload pictures directly without an external image service and you can provide feedback to threads similar to Facebook.
2)I use an iPad to view gt40s and when I view a picture and then hit the back arrow to navigate back to the thread it takes me to the top post of the page instead of back to the thread I was reading. Then I have to scroll back down to where I was, sort of annoying when you want to view each attached picture in a thread.
Jkviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2018, 11:51 AM   #32
harvs
2 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: BuildingGTForté

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
Alright folks, no other requests? Overall I'd say we don't have many features on the "to do" list. Sure there aren't cool things you've seen on other forums you'd like to see here?
Hi Ron

Bit like Joel's point - for posts which have lots of photos...

At the minute, you need to click on a photo, which opens a new page with just that photo. Then to view the next photo you have to clink on back and then select the next photo etc.

On some forum sites, you can click on the fist photo, which loads in a bit of a viewer and you can just click on right/left icons to cycle though them. Pretty handy for any posts which have loads of photos

Cheers
harvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 06:43 AM   #33
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

In the meantime, if you want to see those pictures easily right click on them and select "Open in New Tab". That way you can remain where you are on the forum. This technique comes in handy on anything in a web browser window.

Old 20th May 2018, 01:54 PM   #34
mbrooks
A Tenth
United States

I get on here, click new posts, read the stuff and call it good. Think the forum is good the way it is. And the reason is there is not a lot of shit flashing at me and the page moving up and down while the stuff is loading.

Cheers.
mbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2018, 08:18 AM   #35
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

Hi Folks,

The new forum upgrade is up and running in Beta now. Probably be two to three weeks before it goes live but I wanted to let you know there is progress.

Thanks,
Ron

Old 9th June 2018, 01:13 PM   #36
Howard Jones
Gold Supporter
United States

GT40: GTD

Dr Bob and Ian have nailed it! 100% agree.
Howard Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2018, 06:13 PM   #37
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Woods View Post
An automatic rescaling of photos would be nice so I don't have to do it myself.

I think the forum is just fine as it is. I'm not a fan of change and I don't like change just for change's sake. I like the format and feel of the forum now.

The new forum has auto resizing and much more. We're not changing the forum for change sake - the software that runs this site is twelve years old and requires a lot of work to keep going. We're switching to new forum software that is heavily supported and has open source along with a huge community of developers.

Tags
forum, forums, ron, time, upgrade