Big Block V8 In SLC Possible?

Welcome to the forum Garland, I'm sure Fran could answer your questions. Enjoy!
I'm using an LS engine in mine (LS1), no issues with the LS7 or derivatives either.

Welcome, Garland

Jack's right, Fran is the man to answer that question, but I believe he designed the engine bay to handle just about whatever engine/transaxle combo you want to run.

FYI, you can get 720 HP from a much smaller engine relatively easily, perhaps even for less money. You might want to take a look at some of the engine builders, unless having a 572 is part of how you want to make your SL-C special.

Eric

I can just see Fran rolling in his chair thinking 'I've got one nutbar who wants a carb'd LS and doesn't care if it sticks out the window, now i've got somebody who wants a big block in an exotic' :laugh:

Without knowing anything about anything, I'd ask Howard his thoughts - he has a SBC and would be able to give you an idea of any mods needed to accomodate it (or Fran since he's probably got a few kicking around in the shop)

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
The SBC I put in mine fit fine. If I did it again I would use a electric remote waterpump and be done with it. There is also at least one other with a SBC it it. BBC typically fit where SBC do. The difference to be concerned about it height. Your are not going to fit a tunnel ram in there but I think a RPM performer and a Holley will fit with a custom air filter. Watch my build log I am going to install a carb this year and make something up for a air filter then.

The SBC I put in mine fit fine. If I did it again I would use a electric remote waterpump and be done with it. There is also at least one other with a SBC it it. BBC typically fit where SBC do. The difference to be concerned about it height. Your are not going to fit a tunnel ram in there but I think a RPM performer and a Holley will fit with a custom air filter. Watch my build log I am going to install a carb this year and make something up for a air filter then.

I thought you ran into clearance issues with the rear crossbeam?

If you elongated your engine 3'' would everything still fit?

Btw, something to consider for an air filter is a carb plenum - that's the direction I'm leaning towards.

865_mfr.jpg

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The only issue I see is the induction system height....but there is an SL-C owner that has generously offered to cover the cost of special tooling to make a "carb" style rear scoop to replace the rear window...

The only issue I see is the induction system height....but there is an SL-C owner that has generously offered to cover the cost of special tooling to make a "carb" style rear scoop to replace the rear window...
I'd like to know if stuffing an IC under this scoop may be an option.

Btw, that'd be awesome if you could stuff a big block in here. Mmmm, big block torque just can't be beat!

I'd like to know if stuffing an IC under this scoop may be an option.

IC = intercooler?

That would be an unusual place to stick one, but I don't see it wouldn't work? (especially with your engine - if I recall the last picture I saw it looked tiny inside that massive engine bay)

The Australian car has a type of air-box setup in the scoop that is functional, so I guess anything is possible.

Thanks for all the info guys and the warm welcome. I'm probably going to end up going with a 572 or similar engine. I know that the LS's will fit, make the same amounts of power, etc.

But the engine choice is really part of how I want to make my SLC special and standout from the huge masses of owners :p

Howard Jones

Supporter
Great! We would love to have you in the build log area when you move forward. I am trying to fully document my SLC build there so that others can use it for some reference. I know others are doing the same. Together we can really help a new builder with his/her build and get to know each other.

Good luck, have fun!!!!

Ron Earp

Admin
Good choice and interesting. LS motors are in so much stuff they practically ship and install themselves. Nice to see a change of pace.

Transaxle is going to cost a lot more than the motor though. 572 inches (not the GM crate engine I hope, you can build something better for the money) will produce a lot of twisting force, all through the rev range.

For the transaxle I was thinking of tracking down the guys who did the tranny for the monster MT900S with the Nelson Racing twin turbo engine in it. Anyone got any leads on them?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Carquip did them....the boxes were seriously expensive though ...Custom G97/50...997 twin turbo units....There is a sequential gearset available but it needs refreshing every 30 hours...race only obviously.

I am sure there will be another box available in the not too distant future that will meet your needs...other than a Ricardo that is.

Last edited:
Back