SLC race lineup...

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
*** For immediate release ***

January 30, 2011

Team Superlite Cars selects driver for 2011 season in sprint and endurance racing

Team Superlite Cars (TSC), the racing entity of Race Car Replicas (RCR) and Superlite Cars (both of Clinton Township, MI), announced today that it has selected Ryan Ellis of Ashburn, VA, to drive a new Superlite Coupe..(SL-C) in National Auto Sport Association (NASA) and Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) events for the 2011 season.

In an interview at Daytona International Speedway during the Rolex 24, TSC team principal Fran Hall said “We are extremely pleased to announce the selection of Ryan Ellis to assume driving duties for this year. We are confident that he will continue to show the speed, poise and success he has shown throughout his career, including his win this week at the Rolex Continental Tire race in the ST class where Ryan, in his first race for APR Motorsports LLC (Birmingham, AL), captured pole position, shattered the existing lap record by 2 seconds, and with his co-driver Ian Baas, took the new APR Volkswagen GTI to a convincing win. We expect he will continue his winning ways in the new 2011 Superlite Coupe from Superlite Cars “. Ellis will race for APR at all 2011 GrandAm events in the Street Tuner (ST) class in addition to his efforts for TSC.

Team Superlite Cars will contest sprint and select endurance races this year with the Superlite Coupe.(SL-C), a car that resembles the current crop of Le Mans Coupe style cars. The Superlite Coupe is already a successful street and track car, with over 50 examples sold. The car that TSC will campaign with Ellis this year is a spec. Superlite Coupe with the race package installed. Superlite Cars manufactures the car- with all racing options installed, but without a drivetrain- available to all customers who would like to experience the unalloyed joy of racing at very high levels of performance, but at an affordable price.

About Superlite Cars: Superlite Cars, part of Race Car Replicas, is based in Clinton Township, MI, and manufactures a wide range of replica and original component cars. Its replica range includes Ford GT40, the Lola T70 Spyder and Coupe, Porsche 917 ,962, and 330 P4 along with the Jaguar XJ13. Its original cars include the Superlite Coupe which pays homage to Le Mans style race cars, the Superlite Nemesis, an open wheel, Suzuki Hayabusa-powered single seat, paddle shifted track weapon design for racing schools and track day fans plus a two seat exoskeleton car called the Superlite Razor.
RCR and Superlite cars are known for their unique approach to chassis and suspension fabrication, which features aluminum construction with extreme rigidity and quicker assembly..

See more at www.superlitecars.com and www.race-car-replicas.com

About Ryan Ellis: Ryan began racing at age 4, and has progressed from Quarter Midgets, through Legends, many wins in Spec Miata cars, and most recently, two successful seasons in the Volkswagen TDi Cup. He was twice selected for the Red Bull Drivers Challenge, and is the resident pro at AllsSports, an indoor professional kartiung facility in Dulles VA. He is also a full-time student at George Mason University, in Fairfax, VA. You can visit Ryan’s facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=50885468847&v=wall or follow him at his personal website: http://www.ryanellismotorsports.com/ryanellismotorsports/Home.html

Last edited:
After meeting Ryan at Daytona, he seems a very good choice. Although quite young, he has his head on right and should be a valuable asset for the team. IMO.

Unless the new driver is a soaking wet drunken Australian, I'd say your Facebook link above is directing others to the wrong Ryan Ellis.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Daytona race on Speed
Friends and supporters of Ryan Ellis Racing,

Just a reminder, our team's big win this past weekend in the Daytona Grand Am race will be aired on SPEED this Saturday at 3 pm eastern. And for future reference, each Continential Tire race is generally shown on SPEED on a tape-delayed basis the weekend after the event. Check out the complete TV schedule at http://www.grand-am.com/schedule/index.cfm?series=k&cat_id=148.

More info can be found on www.ryanellismotorsports.com, or at www. goapr.com/race/.

Running a Superlite Coupe in the crucible of competition, not just track days, should be very helpful to all SLC owners.

The Team Superlite Cars SLC will be using data acquisition, so there will be track-specific data collected that should directly result in improved track setup data that can be shared with other SLC drivers.

One of the most interesting aspects of this effort is that it is based on a car that can be duplicated for any prospective owner. In other words, you can buy an SLC with a legal race cage, and with whatever bits came on the car TSC will race. This is not the case with other component cars like the GTM, which cannot be ordered from the factory as a legal race car.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Race Schedule for 2011
Date........... Location..........Region/Provider................................. TSC Driver(s)
March 4-5.... Miami............Grand Am
April 7-9........Barber............Grand Am
April 8-10......Mid-O.............GL
April 20-21....VIR.................DM Track Days.............................Ryan Ellis/Ric McCormick
May 13-14.....VIR................Grand Am
May 27-28.....Lime Rock.....Grand Am
June 3-4.........Wat Glen......Grand Am
June 12-13.....LeMans
June 18-19.....SPR................MA. HyperFest...............................Ryan Ellis
June 23/24.....Road Amer....Grand Am
July 8-9...........Lag. Seca......Grand Am
July 15-17.......Mid-O...........GL...................................................Ryan Ellis
July 22-23.......NJMP.............Grand Am
July 22-24.......VIR.................NASA & UTCC (SL-C & Nemesis)...Ryan Ellis/Ric McCormick
August 12-14..Mid-O............GL...................................................Ryan Ellis
Sept. 8-11.......Mid-O............NASA National Championships......Ryan Ellis
Sept. 16-18.....Mid-O............Grand Am

Last edited:
That's great news, it should put rest to any questions of 'will it handle', it's not proven is it' etc.

Not sure the need to mention the GTM though?

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Ben, the car is already way past the "will it handle,its not proven line" of thinking...unless you read Pistonheads of course.....sigh.

The comment about the "other car" is very relevant as no other manufacturer of this genre of street/track/ self build supercar is actually stepping up to do anything serious for the track, for their customers....

Oh sure, you know that, I know that, it's just the naysayers and the other brand fanboys who won't believe it until they see some 'proven hard facts' against other cars and even then they probably won't believe it.

I still just think it was quite unnecessary to mention the GTM.

ETA: You have a great car, you don't need to put others down to make yourself look good, that's why I felt it was unnecessary :)

By all means mention "the is no other manufacturer of this genre of street/track/ self build supercar who can provide this" or something along those lines, just don't single out the GTM :)

I'm looking forward to the upcoming events! It's fantastic news for you.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I am not putting anyone down...I welcome the competition without question.

I am sure the GTM comment is due to the fact that the car is tuoted as a race car..which it is but it bears no resemblance to the car you or I could purchase from the factory...the SL-C is the exact opposite and that fact needs to be made plainly obvious to any potential street/track customer showing any interest in a purchase....or at least doing their due diligence homework.

This development can be nothing but good for the owners and future owners of SLCs. If something is going to break, or need reengineering, or need anything.....or need nothing. This is how to find out.

Great news.

July 8-9...........Lag. Seca......Grand Am

I'll be there that weekend so if you need a driver, which I can see there are none scheduled, I am available :)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Congratz Fran & RCR....

Youth and Talent are no match for old age and treachery - When you're ready to swap drivers, let me know! :)

So does that mean no stop up here for us at Mosport?
Well at least the Robertson' should be here this year again.
Cheers Ray

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Both of the Robertson cars will be at Mosport with ALMS....with the stickier Michelin tyres too....watch out Flying Lizard and Corvette... http://www.mosport.com/roadhome.htm

I am very lucky , and happy to have both Ryan and Ric as the Team Superlite drivers....it should be a great year.

Ryan and Ian drive a great race at Daytona and considering all the cars are dynoed right after the race and the range was from 210-270hp...the APR VW came in at 220hp...so their great result was clearly not all about HP.

Last edited:
Both of the Robertson cars will be at Mosport with ALMS....with the stickier Michelin tyres too....watch out Flying Lizard and Corvette... Mosport International Raceway

I am very lucky , and happy to have both Ryan and Ric as the Team Superlite drivers....it should be a great year.

Ryan and Ian drive a great race at Daytona and considering all the cars are dynoed right after the race and the range was from 210-270hp...the APR VW came in at 220hp...so their great result was clearly not all about HP.

So, uh, this means that you're going to have a lot more time for coming out w/new models, refinements, production oversight, sleep, etc?

Back