SLC at Thunderhill?

Hey guys,

Does anybody know who owns the white SLC wearing the #18 on the sides? I was at the Nor-Cal Shelby Club track event over the past weekend and it was running there. The corner workers told me it was a shakedown run in preparation for the 25-hours race to be held there the first weekend of December.

It was AMAZINGLY fast, and equally unreliable. They told me it had broken down several times before I got there; it eventually blew the engine and liberally coated the track with oil. :sad:

Here are a couple of photos...I have quite a few more, taken from the same vantage point, if anybody is interested....

DSC_7256.jpg

DSC_7257.jpg

Not sure who owns it, but it sounds like it's still having the teething issues that it had last year at the 25.

Wow, that sux. If I remember that was a Panoz engine in there. I think the owner is from the Reno area. The car has had some electrical issues over it's short life, I hope the guys get it sorted with a fresh engine and can have a go at the 25 again.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Nice pics Mike.
This car is very very fast and is just having the usual growing pains and is doing it in full view of others...much like we did with the green 01 car earlier this season...

This is actually the first time the car has done any serious testing since last years 25 hr race...The "Bosch MS4 sport plus" ecu has proven to be a bear to integrate into the flat shift system.
The engine mapping has also proven to be tough as this engine is now running unrestricted and there was no data available for tuning in this config.

I just spoke with Troy, one of the test drivers and during their three days on track they only had two reliability issues, one was a CV joint that failed due to a split boot from what I hear...they were trying lots of new systems and their integrationto the car....Troy said it was actually a very succesful test...right up until the engine failure....but thats racing...you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs...

There were many shock adjustments as the two drivers got used to the car....right before the engine failed Troy said he felt pretty comfortable and was running times in the 1.47 -48 range..."over the top"...the longer course config.
He feels there are at least 3-4 seconds left in the car , with more familiarity behind the wheel.

Last edited:
I have to say, when it was running, that SLC was FAST, and I mean way, WAY faster than anything else on the track. It looked really formidable too.

I went and looked at it in the pits, and stared at it for about 20 minutes. Every angle on it seems so well thought-out. It seems to have enormous potential (although I'm a little unsure about the idea of having the gas tanks in the cockpit???) :stunned:

I do hope they get the thing squared away; it would be nice to see it show its taillights to everything else at the 25 hours of Thunderhill!

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The fuel bladdder is inside a double skinned aluminum case ...one more layer than is required by the rules....and also one more layer than a GT40/Lola etc has if you think about it...and there are two tanks on a GT40, Lola etc etc .....and you sit between them...so the SLC is actually safer
The SLC one is a monster too 42 gallons....
The rules state 44 gallons max and with such a thirsty engine we need all the fuel we can carry....
I know the owner of the car has a lead on a replacement engine , so hopefully it comes through for the him...

We are running the 13 hr of VIR next weekend ...so no 25hr for us this year....but next year watch out....

We are running the 13 hr of VIR next weekend ...so no 25hr for us this year....but next year watch out....
I was just up at VIR last weekend for the first time.

**Edit, I just looked and it is the weekend after this coming. You guys will be there for sure? If so I will be seriously looking into going.

You are talking about VIR right...? So there will be a couple SLC's there i assume?

Team Superlite Cars is bringing the green 01 car- in enduro trim. The 01 car is running in the Charge Of the the Headlight Brigade enduro at VIR on Saturday October 29.

Ron Earp is also entered with the RCR Lola T70, and should be fast and steady.

I don't think there are any other RCR or Superlite cars that are showing up.

The 18 car is in CA and is trying to be ready for the upcoming 25 hour race at Thunderhill.

You East Coast SLC guys cant handle 25 hours :) But so far the West Coast SLC cant handle it either :shrug:

I'll be there to see them finish the 25 hour this year. :chug:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Hey Mesa, lets go watch again. Damn I was going to spring my SLC on those NORCAL Shelby guys next year. This is the group I run with the most. So much for the surprise.

Well it least mine won't be white.

I like too! I guess thats what a 60k box can do for you. Is that the off the shelf steering rack?

Interesting to note that the lap times are on par with a full blown Superbike running the exact same layout. I would have thought the 18 would blow away a bike. Me thinks there must be more speed to be had in there. Pity the 'other' guys when that comes to pass.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
That car has lots more time left in it...and I mean lots...just like my green 01 car...:stunned:

Standard rack ratio....just like my green 01 car.....

Back