What do you guys know about these fuel pumps?

I am looking for the Bosch 044 fuel pump which are readily available but there are others that pop up that look identical for half the price. What pumps are you guys running? What regulators and how many microns on the filter?

You guessed it, I working on the fuel system. I have been sidelined many times as a result of the fuel system. Foe pumps going out, for filters not filtering enough or regulator changing pressure as the unit heats up in the engine bay.

What systems have been working for you guys?

dean;

A1000 aeromotive with holley low pressure. i wish i went then bosch, the a1000 is overkill. the holley is pretty loud. otherwise, they work great. 100u prefilter then a 10u fine filter.

Kevin Box

Supporter
Bosch 044 Fuel Pump Specs:
Bosch Part Number: 0580254044
Minimum Current: 12 Volts
Operating Pressure: 72.5 PSI (5 Bar)
Minimum Flow @ Outlet: 80 GPH (300 LPH)
Fuel Pump Location: In-Line
High Temperature Reduction: 8 GPH (30 LPH)
Weight: 1030 Grams (2.27 Pounds)

Fuel Pump Connections:
Inlet: M18 x 1.5
Outlet: M12 x 1.5
Electrical: Positive M6 / Negative M5

I have used these pumps before and recommend them.
Alternative is the Walbro 255 which has very similar specs

Cheers

Kevin B

Dean, you had me going there for a minute.
Skimpin on a fuel pump?
You could always go to Pep Boys and buy three HP pumps for that money, you'd really be saving then.

COME ON- buy the Bosch (or 2) and be done with it.

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Dean, at that price, it has to be a Chinese version of the Bosch.

I've not seen the real 044 pump come with a banjo outlet. Some of the smaller pumps do, but not the 044 (and I have a brand new one on my workbench at the moment). For the fitting interchange, Pegasus, Racer Parts, etc. all sell conversion fittings to change from the M18/M12 to AN's.

If you're going to use it in tank, make sure you get a high quality sock with internal bracing, or if you're going external, make sure you have a good upstream filter that's intended to be on the suction side of a pump.

These pumps really suck, literally, and can easily collapse a cheap sock or nonreinforced inline filter. Most inline filters are intended for positive pressure, not negative, so you have to ensure it's rated for the suction side.

Pegasus sell a plastic adapter setup for the suction side that fits right into one of their reinforced socks, and it has "feet" on it, which help to keep the sock from collapsing.

Hi Dean I don't know what you are using for an engine or if your injected or what HP you will have. I have used Holley, Bosch, and Aeromotive they all worked well. the Holley was noisy and rather big but it was very affordable , Bosch was the smallest but again a bit noisy, I like the Aeromotive the best but it was also expensive also there filters are very good. You may want to look at Magnafuel, Barry Grant, Carter, Edelbrock. What Cam said for a filter set up 100u prefilter then a 10u fine filter is a good way to go. I will be going that way with my SL-C as well.<!-- google_ad_section_end --> A friend of mine lost his engine last year because a microscopic piece of crap plugged one injector leaned out a hole and squeaked the engine. I will be using Aeromotive filters as they are very well made, handle big pressure and flow high volumes of gas with no restriction.

Owming a couple of 20yo Jap turbo racers (ricers?) Ive had a bit if experience with Bosch, Walbro Sard and Aeromotive pumps. The bosch pumps have been great, the 044 external and 040 internal ( I have the internal piggy backing straight into the rear of the 044 for 58 psi base pressure) havent let me down in 10 years. Neither of them have a banjo fitting, the only time I rrmeber seeing a bosch external pump with banjo fitting is the 910 pump, found under my 300SEL benz and in pairs on 500 and 560 benz's IIRC. The early Walbro's I had fitted (GSS of some sort) were rather noisy, and the flow tapered off jnder the requirements of high boost (27psi plus turbind pressure, 60+ Psi fuel pressure required).

I say, dont skimp on something that is 'cheap' in the grand scheme of things. I run three of the 040 pumps in an internal tank hanger, a
probably something a lot of US Supra owners have.

The Bosch 044 pumps are used quite a lot over here in the UK and in Europe. I have used them on other cars I have, and have always found them to be excellent pumps.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Make sure the Bosch pump never runs dry - they start making wierd noises after a few seconds of dry running and after that will continue to scream but still work!

~I know as I have one on the GT40 and my Pollack change over valve bust so ended up running a tank completely dry very quickly as the LP pump transferred all the fuel from the right tank through the swirl to the left tank. Whole tank in about 10 mins!

Ian

Dean,
Design your fuel system for Bosch 044's, best and most reliable EFI pump out there. Not an area you want to skimp on.

Yes, there are Chinese copies so beware! I believe the authentic ones are built in the Czech Republic. My pump boxes are back in Colorado, so someone correct me if I'm wrong on where they're made.

Jay Racing (Jay Racing) sells the authentic ones. I've attached the Bosch 254044 flow/current draw chart for your records.

Tom

Attachments

• Bosch 044 Chart.jpg
    Bosch 044 Chart.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 592
Thumbs up on the bosch 044. Have used them on many cars and have never had one quit on me. One of my f-cars ran poorly and I changed plugs, rotor, filters, injectors, warm up regulator, ecu, etc....all to no avail. Put an 044 on there and viola, ran like champ.

That chart shows a max flow of 5ltrs/minute @ 1 bar, or am I reading that wrong???
Oops my bad... 300ltrs per hour = heaps of fuel.......

Last edited:
^^ Hmmmm, returnless? Either way, I've seen prefabbed tanks with feed ports for -AN fittings facing FORWARD!

Its a weird world out there nowadays...Looking forward to your plans Mesa.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
The 01 car has a pair and they are trouble free...we use Walbro pumps to feed the surge tank and the 044 to the fuel rail..

Fran-
FYI, we have had Walbros fail under "tough" circumstances (partially clogged filters etc).

Since it is a race car you probably have redundant feeds, so its not an issue.

Back