Emergency Brake actuator

Hello I have been pondering the thought of using a small Electro-mechanical Linear actuator instead of the hand lever. Has any one used anything like this on an SL-C or other hot rod that has worked and is small? I know it may have it's draw backs eg: battery go's dead and you can't move the car but it may save some space?
Cheers,
Grant

I'm doing this on my car. The LA will push on a master cylinder to drive a single caliper on a transaxle-mounted dedicated parking brake disc. The same approach could be used to pull cables for those using traditional systems. In fact, the dolts at The Hoffman Group sell a LA-based solution to do exactly that.

ISIS can be used (with the motor controller) to learn the motion limits if you want to build a home-grown solution for less.

A couple of key advantages are that (1) there is no traditional hand brake lever to take up space in the cockpit (just a small button), and (2) it can be programmed to pop off automatically when the brake is on and the engine is on, so you can't drive off with it engaged. Not that that has ever happened to anyone. :)

As far as the battery going dead, I assume most SLCs will have a pair of battery ports hidden on the car but accessible from the outside. That should solve that and the host of related problems associated with a low or dead battery.

Thanks Will, I figured someone had looked into this already :), do you have any pic's of where your at with it?
Cheers,
Grant

Hi guys
I would surgest you give this some real thought as I would not trust a hydraulic handbrake to hold over a long time, in fact they may not be legal, to my knoledge they not here in Oz.

Darrell DBR #46
LS1 G50

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
There are a number of cars sold i the UK that now use a push button for their handbrake. (Current Vauxhall cars do this)

I have driven a few and to be honest do not like it.

Press the button and it locks the wheels (It sounds like a motor on a winch tightening a cable)

Start to pull away and the system unlocks itself. Ok but what happens when it thinks the normal weight of the car on a steep hill is the driver trying to take off and auto releases and you see your car heading down the hill!

Perhaps a push for activate and pull to release type switch would work but then again how much constant battery power is needed to keep the car from rolling?

Ian

Would this work?
If you used the normal cable style E-brake calipers or inboard drum or inboard caliper setups. Then at the point where the normal handle would be use a solenoid or small electric motor or inline linear actuator to pull or release the cable. Then use either a push button or toggle switch to operate the e-brake.

I will try to draw something up this evening after I get home from the City.

Hi guys
I would surgest you give this some real thought as I would not trust a hydraulic handbrake to hold over a long time, in fact they may not be legal, to my knoledge they not here in Oz.

Darrell DBR #46
LS1 G50

Darrell, It's not hydraulic it's a mechanically driven push / pull shaft,

It replaces your hand brake lever and pulls the ebrake cables for you.

Ian, I think Will is using a switch on his brake pedal to deactivate it, it wouldn't move unless someone pushs the brake pedal.

Will, how long of a stroke are you using?

GTPVette

Supporter
Grant,,,
I don;t have an SLC (wish I did) but have this going in my GTM.

Ebrake-4.jpg

Ebrake-1.jpg

There is nothing real fancy. It's a Spal 4" Linear Actuator, a Spal window switch, a Lokar emergency brake cable kit and also the Lokar Corvette clevis kit. Make sure you order long enough e-brake cables, then just cut them to length.

I hit the window switch to activate the e-brake. It does take a couple of seconds for the actuator draw down all of the way,,, but it does seem to work just fine. Time will tell.

The biggest issue was building the housing as it does double duty as the cable shifter mount.

There are a number of cars sold i the UK that now use a push button for their handbrake. (Current Vauxhall cars do this)

I have driven a few and to be honest do not like it.

Press the button and it locks the wheels (It sounds like a motor on a winch tightening a cable)

Start to pull away and the system unlocks itself. Ok but what happens when it thinks the normal weight of the car on a steep hill is the driver trying to take off and auto releases and you see your car heading down the hill!

Perhaps a push for activate and pull to release type switch would work but then again how much constant battery power is needed to keep the car from rolling?

Ian

I highly doubt this, I had an XJR with the same system, it would complain at you immediately if you started to move with it on and then only after a certain speed would it release it.

At that point if it has managed to get to that speed in the first place it's not going to make the blindest difference if it then releases it because you're screwed anyway.

Hi Grant
Sory if I got your intentions wrong. I was going by Wills quote that reads as below.

(I'm doing this on my car. The LA will push on a master cylinder to drive a single caliper on a transaxle-mounted dedicated parking brake disc.)

Darrell DRB#46
LS1 G50

Yos Thanks I like this unit, I have Emailed the company for more info I'll have to see how much there worth.

Ok Darrell I see what you are up to now do you have any pic's?
Thanks,
Grant

Grant I have only managed to confuse you more, I pulled that statment out of Wills comment second from the top.I do not have a hydraulic hand brake.

Darrell

Yos I just spoke with Tom at CCI and this unit will to big for my application, it is 2.5" x 6" x 12" Tom said they do have a smaller unit but will take a while to get back to me with the info.
Cheers,
Grant

Yos I just spoke with Tom at CCI and this unit will to big for my application, it is 2.5" x 6" x 12" Tom said they do have a smaller unit but will take a while to get back to me with the info.
Cheers,
Grant

Grant,

If you have the ISIS system, why not get the SPAL unit and use them together in the way Will mentioned?

Ben It's most likely the way I will go if CCI doesn't have what I am looking for.
I was hoping for something small. I like this Linak unit but it still to long.

Attachments

• Linak LA.jpg
    Linak LA.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,236
Back