The SLC Clubhouse RCR SLC Build Logs and Technical Questions

Old 13th March 2013, 05:38 PM   #61
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

GT40: SL-C LS7
Re: Grant's SL-C Build tread

Hello Ricardo,
No I haven't even started the wiring yet. I wanted to have all my hardware installed first. I
have been busy working on a cold air intake system which I should have buttoned up shortly just waitng for some more water jet cut parts to show up. It should work on any SL-C with a street tail with side or rear exhaust. Currently working on a new interior which should be pretty cool being I am bigger then the car lol, I had to start from scratch I have to sit right on the floor to fit in it. I am hoping to make it look like a space ship when Its done. The seats, console, sides and back will all blend into each other. I am carving and shaping everything out of stryofoam and them glassing right over it all. I have found a fiberglass resin that doesn't eat it. The stuff is awesome no smell and cleans up with soapy water, non toxic flows out very nice not much for air bubbles, its nice to use.

Last edited by deadshot; 13th March 2013 at 06:45 PM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2013, 04:32 PM   #62
Guy Walters
United States

Grant, what is the name of the resin? Sounds like fun!
Guy Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 12:51 PM   #63
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Guy it is called Ecopoxy systems it is manufactured in Canada.
it is nice to work with, I am using a Medium grade hardener it says 15 to 20 minute pot life but it more like 1 hour plus, If I were to do it again I would use Fast I so it would harden up a lot quicker.

Last edited by deadshot; 17th March 2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 9th April 2013, 09:26 PM   #64
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

I haven't posted anything in a while so I thought I would blow the dust off my build thread and show a few pic's of what I've been up to, this may help some others out with the seat problems if your a larger person such as myself. It is still in the works so things will change a bit before Its done but it will give you some ideas if you find yourself facing the same problems as I was. everything is craved out of styrofoam then shaped by hand sanding with very coarse grit sandpaper. After everything is fitted I am glassing directly over the foam with eco-epoxy glass systems which does not melt the foam, great stuff for this type of work. Once I have everything 1/4" thick and very solid it will go for custom upholstery. The foam between the seats and the doors will shaped to make a smooth blended transition right now Im just waiting for the Focal 130 component speakers so I can mold them into the kicker panels under the dash should look very cool and function very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6265-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6269-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6271-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6272-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6280-jpg  

Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6279-jpg  
Old 9th April 2013, 09:34 PM   #65
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Here a pic of the new console it is narrower and concaved in the sides for a little more leg room.
Attached Thumbnails
Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6268-jpg  
Old 9th April 2013, 09:40 PM   #66
TheJimer
2 Tenths
United States

GT40: SL-C Unfin4Sale

Grant, very nice, I can only imagine how much time went into that fabraction. I can't wait to see the finished product! What if anything is going to go in the piece between the center counsel and the bottom of the dash?

Jim
TheJimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:41 PM   #67
Stage7
6 Tenths
United States

GT40: SLC

Great work Grant. Very creative process. I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Stage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 09:54 PM   #68
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Thanks guys yes it was a fair bit work but it nothing compared to the mess I have to clean up lol there will be styrofoam dust coming out of there for years.

Jim I am going to put a transition filler piece in there you can kinda see the design Im thinking of in one of the pic's it will be hollowed out and my remote fire arrest system pull handle will be sunken in there.
Old 9th April 2013, 10:16 PM   #69
dlindemann
Lifetime Premier Supporter
United States

GT40: Lotus

Grant - I love the ingenuity and the craftsmanship! Even though I'm sure it is a lot of work, it has to be less frustrating than trying to find an aftermarket seat that will fit properly. What's your plan for the finished product as far as your custom upholstery?

When you glass the parts you may want to consider vacuum bagging if you haven't already (IMHO). Especially if you're going for 1/4" thickness - it may have to be done in stages but it will drastically reduce the resin weight of the finished product - but I'm sure you know that already.

Excellent work!
Dave L
dlindemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013, 10:50 PM   #70
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Hi Dave I gave up on looking and spending money on seats that didn't work. The time and money I spent on this alone would have paid for all my foam and FG products and they would have be finished by now. This was so far the biggest hurdle once this one cross off the list the rest will be a breeze. They fit my body like a glove you can't tell from the pic's but I am seating right on the floor there will be 1" of HD foam under my butt when the seats are done I will be seating pretty much up right with 2" to 3" of headroom, As for the upholstery you'll have to wait and see :p
Old 9th April 2013, 11:00 PM   #71
Yos
slc4yos
3 Tenths
United States

GT40: SLC-LS9/G96.50

I really like that Grant...great job!!!
slc4yos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 07:21 AM   #72
Stage7
6 Tenths
United States

GT40: SLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlindemann View Post
Even though I'm sure it is a lot of work, it has to be less frustrating than trying to find an aftermarket seat that will fit properly.
Dave L
x2...I just went through a 3rd set of seats that don't fit.
Stage7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013, 10:41 AM   #73
TheJimer
2 Tenths
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Jim I am going to put a transition filler piece in there you can kinda see the design Im thinking of in one of the pic's it will be hollowed out and my remote fire arrest system pull handle will be sunken in there.

Grant, I curious: what brand fire suppression system are you using and what is the extinguishing agent?

Jim
Old 10th April 2013, 01:27 PM   #74
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Hi Jim heres what I have
Firecharger AFFF Racing Fire Suppression System
Cheers,
Old 10th April 2013, 01:50 PM   #75
TheJimer
2 Tenths
United States

Thanks Grant!
Jim
Old 21st April 2013, 11:31 AM   #76
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

I got back to work on the adjustable pedal slider, if any one bought this particular slider. you've probably figured out by now it doesn't work with the tilton pedals.
I worked out a new adapter that replaces the top piece, and now it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6297-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6293-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6294-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6295-jpg   Grant's SL-C Build tread-_mg_6296-jpg  

Old 21st April 2013, 12:16 PM   #77
rumbles
6 Tenths
United States

I have one of these pedal sliders as well. I don't plan to use it and would like to sell it for 1/2 price.

PM me if you are interested.
rumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 12:02 PM   #78
Mark F
Rookie
United States

GT40: SLC #132

Nice work Grant! I appreciate the lumbar support you've built into your seats, most race seats I've seen have none whatsoever. Any plans to make the head rest adjustable?
Mark F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013, 04:07 PM   #79
deadshot
7 Tenths
Canada

Hello Mark,
Thanks, I am bouncing around a few different ideas right now haven't nailed that part down yet. I was thinking about standing them off the bulkhead so they would look like they were floating but if I ever got hit in the ass end, the stand offs would most likely be pushed through the back of my skull so Im still thinking about this one.
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:23 PM   #80
xlr8tr
Rookie
Canada

GT40: none yet: cobra

Hey grant, how tall are you (coming from a 6'7" guy this thread is very appropriate!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
Hi Dave I gave up on looking and spending money on seats that didn't work. The time and money I spent on this alone would have paid for all my foam and FG products and they would have be finished by now. This was so far the biggest hurdle once this one cross off the list the rest will be a breeze. They fit my body like a glove you can't tell from the pic's but I am seating right on the floor there will be 1" of HD foam under my butt when the seats are done I will be seating pretty much up right with 2" to 3" of headroom, As for the upholstery you'll have to wait and see :p