Traction control sensor mounting

If you've installed a traction control system such as the Racelogic system, how did you mount the rear wheel speed sensors? Did you use the CV joint bolts as pickups or did you install a toothed trigger wheel? If so, where did you mount the trigger wheel and sensors?

I need to use VR sensors, not Hall, and my leading candidate for a mounting solution is to use a toothed trigger wheel on the transmission-side CV joint mounting flange along with a bracket that attaches to the transmission housing.

Any part ideas, mounting ideas, pictures, thoughts?

Thanks,

Tim

My '04 SVT/Cobra (Mustang) has the tothed wheel on the inner side of the inside CV Joint with the sensor mounted the IRS center section. This sounds just like you describe.

I am counting bolts on the two-piece rotors I am using.

If I were using the stock stuff, I'd make up a wheel with holes or teeth. More is better, to give a finer resolution at lower speeds, anyway.

I've got a parking brake rotor and caliper at the inner CVs, or that would be another good place for them.

My '04 SVT/Cobra (Mustang) has the tothed wheel on the inner side of the inside CV Joint with the sensor mounted the IRS center section. This sounds just like you describe.

Like this?
copy_of_gto_9_inch_003.jpg

Picture is from Drive Shaft Shop. Been emailing with them and I can get those wheels from them to tap onto the SLC CV joints. Double checking a couple things, but this could be a great option. I'd just fab mounts that go onto the transmission housing. Here are pictures of some nice ones that I won't be able to replicate with the tools I have access to (bottom of page): Racelogic - Traction Control - Fitting

Tim

I am counting bolts on the two-piece rotors I am using.

If I were using the stock stuff, I'd make up a wheel with holes or teeth. More is better, to give a finer resolution at lower speeds, anyway.

I've got a parking brake rotor and caliper at the inner CVs, or that would be another good place for them.

Do you have any pics of this? Have you tested the system at all? I've been asked to stay away from counting bolts due to the round edges not being well defined, but obviously lots of people use it.

What system are you using? Racelogic or ECU-based?

Tim

Do you have any pics of this? Have you tested the system at all? I've been asked to stay away from counting bolts due to the round edges not being well defined, but obviously lots of people use it.

What system are you using? Racelogic or ECU-based?

Tim

Can't find pics but they are pretty boring- just a small bracket to aim the sensor with minimal gap at the bolts.

I am using the Racelogic system, and they say it's OK to use the bolt method I have fabbed up.

OTOH, those wheels on the axles really appeal, and they have better resolution that the 12 or so bolt holes I am counting. Maybe I need to call the DSS. :)

Thanks for the pics!

If you use the toothed wheel on the half-shafts in back, what would you use on the front? Can the Racelogic system handle wheel speed sensors which have a different number of cogs/counts on each wheel?

Also, is it possible to split the output from one sensor to both the traction control system and to the speedometer, or does that degrade the signal to the point where it would confuse either the traction control or the speedometer?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is my Racelogic sensor mounting for the back wheel. I would have used the inner cv joint location but my heat shields prevented it. The outer cv joint location turned out just fine. It's even easier for maintenance. The signal wire just follows the handbrake cable back to the frame.

Here is my sensor mounting for the front wheel. It's just reading the back of the studs.

The counts don't need to match between front and back.

The brackets were made out of 1/4" thick aluminum angle.

Here is a picture of the toothed wheel from "The Driveshaft Shop". I asked for reluctor rings and the guy on the phone thought I was from outer space. He had no clue what I was talking about. They refer to them as "ABS rings". Two of them shipped was $115.78 last year (2013).

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
If you are running the rear exit type of exhaust then the inner cv joint location for the sensor and ring could possibly be too hot. Something else to consider as these type of sensors are very expensive.

Two more close up views of the front sensor mount and rear.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm using the factory speed sensor in the Ricardo transaxle.

Be careful when laying out the wires for the wheel sensors as they are sensitive to interference. Don't run them parallel to high current wiring. Also I wouldn't advise bundling them up with other wires. Keep them separate .

Personally I'd keep the racelogic sensor separate from the speedo sensor. Just make two sensor mounts on one upright. One on the front side (as in my picture) and one on the back side.

Last edited:
I exchanged emails with the guys at Racelogic and asked if they had any tips or thoughts for installing their system on an LS7 engine.

They said that the LS7 may have misfire detection and that this would need to be disabled.

I have the GM aftermarket ECU. Does anyone know if this ECU has misfire detection and/or the best way to disable it? (I've never messed with trying to change settings on an ECU and don't have any equipment to do it with - yet).

Ken: Have you had a chance to try out your front wheel sensors? I'm wondering if the holes adjacent to the wheel studs cause any problems with the sensor count? Is this something that can be adjusted out with the gap to the sensor?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken: Have you had a chance to try out your front wheel sensors? I'm wondering if the holes adjacent to the wheel studs cause any problems with the sensor count? Is this something that can be adjusted out with the gap to the sensor?
I haven't had it operational yet but it seems to be a popular way of mounting the sensors though.

Back