Cruise control with LS3?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
My wife and I were discussing details of my planned build and she mentioned cruise control. Many times I wished I had cruise in my Cobra, so I'd really like to install in my SL-C. But...how do you do it with the electronic gas pedal? :huh: Anyone do this yet?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
My wife and I were discussing details of my planned build and she mentioned cruise control. Many times I wished I had cruise in my Cobra, so I'd really like to install in my SL-C. But...how do you do it with the electronic gas pedal? :huh: Anyone do this yet?

Hi Pete
I fitted an aftermarket cruise control to my 40.
All you need to do is fit the magnets to one of the rear drive shafts and use the vacuum servo to connect to and pull on the accellerator pedal.

If your car is manual you will need a switch on the clutch pedal as well.

Works a treat.

Dimi

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Ken - thanks, I'll check that out.

Dimi - I'm hoping for an electronic solution, but it not, trying to rig up a cable connection to the throttle pedal is my back up plan. Dakota Digital has a unit with an electric motor rather than vacuum for the servo so I'd probably go with that.

If it's an electronic throttle then surely it's an option on the ECU as I can't for a second believe no cars with LS3 had cruise control?

In the case of the RX-8 (another drive by wire throttle) there are a few extra connectors on the ECU, connect up the correct switch and as long as it's not been disabled by firmware updates[1] you get cruise control.

[1] A few people did this then a year or so later Mazda disabled it for all UK models that hadn't had it fitted at build (and I'm not even sure it was an option in the UK).

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
As Ken alluded to above, on Corvettes and Camaros with LS3s, the cruise control is part of the body control module, not the engine ECU. However, all the parameters needed for cruise (speed, rpms, etc) are available from the ECU, so I would have thought the aftermarket would have come up with a plug and play cruise control for LS3/7 by now.

Last edited:
There is an available solution. The solution ties into the ground and reference voltage at the DBW pedal. Essentially it tricks the PCM in to thinking you are pressing and releasing the pedal.
Check out:
brandondist.com they resell a rostra cruise control computer for hot rod / universal applications.
Call their rep Joe at 877-402-3944….
part # is 2501848 - $258.08 minus credit for their lever controller - $35.22 credit if you don't use their switch (I found it ugly)
You can see the wiring diagram here on page 21. Look at the normally open control switch.
http://www.rostra.com/manuals/250-1223Form4565G.pdf

You can make your own control switches with two momentaries (accel / decel) and a latching (on / off)
Or maybe tie them in to switches on an OEM style wheel.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Fly by wire has really interested me and I discussed this with a friend who is a GM master tech, I think some LS motors use a separate cruise traction control module, and there should be away to interface with the ECU. And while your add it put some sensors on the rear tires and add traction control. :)

I drove 685 miles in one day in my 40 ONE time, about 200 miles into the trip my thoughts where "cruise control would be nice"...... when I rolled out of the car I started shopping.

BTW - this would be used in the 08+ DBW GM applications which use the e38 PCM (power train control module). (not sure which computer the LS3 crate motors use). Mine (aluminum 6.2L L92) is a take out from a 2008 Escalade.

The speed and tach info can be pulled off from the CAN, which are two of the wires on the OBDII plug. Dakota Digital makes a device (STA-1000) which plugs in to the OBDII port and pulls the tach and speed info off of the CAN and outputs a sine wave, which increases frequency linearly vs. speed and engine rpms. Essentially, it emulates the analog tach or speedo signal.

If you don't have another speed signal available, you can use that to drive the cruise control computer from Rostra or old school style gauges.

I'm using the Dakota device to drive my tach and speedometer, but it has extra outputs.
Doug

Street and performance in Mena, AR, has a system that is designed for the crate GMPP controllers and can be made to work with the XLR column. It's not on their website so you'll have to call but it is available.

Back