GM Air Intake Kit

Is anyone using the standard GM Air intake kit for their LS engine installation?

e.g. 19301246 - Universal Air Inlet Kit

Is there sufficient room under the street tail for this kit?

With all the fresh air coming through the various inlets into the engine compartment, I am considering leaving the intake unmodified and just using the standard GM kit without any additional ducting to the outside. . .

By "put on", I assume you mean aluminum welding?

I'm not set up for welding aluminum, so a bolt-on solution would be good. Based on the setup Alan is suggesting, it looks like the standard GM kit should work . . . (?)

Looking at some photos in my collection, the MAF is held on by through screws and is not welded. I cannot speak for the style of fasteners that hold the screws.

IMHO: If you have a good dyno-tuner and don't plan on any further minor engine mods it's a viable option. My last LS6 motor was speed density tuned, had quick throttle response and ran great. Any major mods should require a dyno-tune anyway.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Looking at some photos in my collection, the MAF is held on by through screws and is not welded. I cannot speak for the style of fasteners that hold the screws.
The aluminum MAF mounting boss must be welded to the round aluminum tube. The MAF has a flat mounting surface and can't be directly bolted to the round tubing.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
By "put on", I assume you mean aluminum welding?

I'm not set up for welding aluminum, so a bolt-on solution would be good. Based on the setup Alan is suggesting, it looks like the standard GM kit should work . . . (?)

You could always epoxy the mounting boss to the tubing with the correct type of epoxy.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Is anyone using the standard GM Air intake kit for their LS engine installation?

e.g. 19301246 - Universal Air Inlet Kit

Is there sufficient room under the street tail for this kit?

With all the fresh air coming through the various inlets into the engine compartment, I am considering leaving the intake unmodified and just using the standard GM kit without any additional ducting to the outside. . .

$390 for this kit is extremely expensive. Also the curved 4" tubing has the small PCV extension tube in the side. It won't work because you need that extension tube in the long straight 4" section between the MAF and throttle body. That kit is designed to have the curved 4" tubing bolted right in front of the throttle body.

With the parts Allan linked to and a GM MAF mounting boss epoxied on it would be closer to $200 final price.

Spectre also sells rubber grommets and adapters to install in the side of the tubing for the fresh air line/tube that is mounted between the MAF and throttle body.

Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
In this street tail photo you can see that the tubing must aim down at the back so that the air cleaner can clear the hood.

Last edited:
$390 for this kit is extremely expensive. Also the curved 4" tubing has the small PCV extension tube in the side. It won't work because you need that extension tube in the long straight 4" section between the MAF and throttle body. That kit is designed to have the curved 4" tubing bolted right in front of the throttle body.

With the parts Allan linked to and a GM MAF mounting boss epoxied on it would be closer to $200 final price.

Spectre also sells rubber grommets and adapters to install in the side of the tubing for the fresh air line/tube that is mounted between the MAF and throttle body.

Thanks, Ken/Allan!

Just coming back to this now after a long break away.

Does anyone have the part numbers handy for the Spectre grommets/adapters that Ken mentions above? Is the mounting location for the MAF or the tube critical? (in terms of how far along the aluminum tube they are mounted?)

Thanks for the help!

Columbia River Mandrel Bending will make you a tube to your specs, inexpensively too!
Aluminum or stainless steel, etc.

I used flat head cap screws to attach my mass air flow mounting bracket to the intake tube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 229
Back