Charlotte Autofair- and 6 SLCs?

The Charlotte Autofair is coming up again this spring- actually April 4-6 -- at Lowes Motor Speedway in Concord, NC.

This year the Autofair will host what is probably the single biggest gathering of SLCs in one place, thus far.

We are planning to have 6 SLCs there, starting with the famous factory 01 race car. Also present will be a new Superlite LeMans completed by the team manager for the Robertson Racing Ford GT that podiumed at LeMans (with RCR parts, BTW), an SLC that many of you have seen on the forum, built by Rumbles, Mike S' SLC, a new SLC built by Martin Motorsports, and my SLC as well.

We will all be exhibiting in the vendor area, and all together in one spot, so once you find us, there will be plenty to see.

The show draws about 150,000 visitors over the weekend, and consumes both the inside and outside of the speedway, so it is big.

The weather report looks good, so bring plenty of sunscreen, and come out to see the cars!

This is a great way to get a close look at several different approaches to building the SLC, in all its variants- there will be cars with street tails, race tails, and the completely open-top LeMans.

Hmmm, that sounds like a party and I know just the place to have it:pepper:

Are there any other SLC builders planning to attend the April 4-6 Charlotte AutoFair?

Sure wish I could go.
Make sure to take lots of pictures Will. Not just overall, from afar shots, but close up differences in details between cars.

I'll be there :) My car will be one of the ones on display for the BMWCCA group on Saturday IIRC. Look for the Yellow M3. I spoke to Fran about the autoshow and can't wait to see an SLC in person. Might be the final push I need to make me sell the M and build my own car. Why? Because RACECAR.

I'm nowhere near being able to buy one right now (just bought an S2000, and getting divorced), but I might make the trek down there to check them out! Not everyday... you get the rest.

Martin Motorsports will be there Thursday through Sunday. Location is the NASCAR garage area to the left of the gas station behind pit road. See you there.

I plan on having my SLC there all day Friday & Saturday. Sunday is an unknown at this point since I have to get back home at a reasonable hour.

Mike S.

I'll be there all day Saturday as well. Hope you guys like to talk about your cars and build process cause I got many questions to ask.

See you folks then. :)

The Charlotte AutoFair is advertized as the "World’s Largest Automotive Extravaganza"! It completely fills the the interior field of the Charlotte Motor Speedway, plus much of the track surface, and many acres outside the track as well. It is not possible to see the whole show in a single day, and trying to do it in 2 days will wear you out :sweatdrop:

Here are some numbers to give a sense of size:
  • 9,500 vendor spaces to buy parts
  • 10,000 collector vehicles will be on display. About 3,000 of those vehicles will be for sale. There is also a 2 day auto auction.
  • 100,000 attendees are expected

Here is more information on the event:
view3_md.jpg

img_0256_lg.JPG

Charlotte_Auto_Fair_2010_1.jpg

From what Fran tells me, the SLC display should be somewhere within the area circled in red below.

Note: The photo is a few years old and a couple more buildings are now in the infield.

Attachments

• 2014 Sping AutoFair SLC location.jpg
    2014 Sping AutoFair SLC location.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
May I ask a favor?

Those who'll be attending: if you happen to spot a '59 Impala, 348, tri-power (or 283 "Fuelie" clone), 4-speed that either is or could be for sale, would you 'jot down' the particulars and shoot me a P.M.?

'Been trying for over a decade to find a '59 that has trim tags and vin #s that actually match the car's original factory configuration. ('Have seen about every mis-match there is...'an original "green/green" car that's now "red/red"...6 cyl automatics that are now 348 4-speeds, you name it.) CLONES are fine as long as the trim tag & vin match the darned car.

'Prefer red/red or black-over-red...but at this point.........?

Thanks in advance, guys...

('Sorry for the "drift"...but, this seemed like a logical place to make the request since those who may be going are likely to be reading this thread... :confused: )

Looks like a great event, I wish I could be there for it. Please take many pictures for the first annual SLC show.

Now that more SLCs are being completed, it would be great to organize a yearly event in Detroit since it would be more central and a logical venue as it's RCR's home base.

Back