Can't go anywhere without this happening...

Went out for dinner tonight and it was a good time to take my SL-C out for a drive. Of course we sat at a window table to keep an eye on all the people that would stop at the restaurant to look at the SL-C. At least 25 people stopped for pictures and you could read their lips asking each other what it was.
The owner of the restaurant asks us to park towards the road to attact people.

Tonight we attracted this. After looking at the SL-C the poor guy had a bad case of buyers remorse. Then when I told him how much he could have saved it just made it much worse.

Allan I just went to take out my recycling to the curb and a guy stopped me for 20 minutes to talk about my car and what it was. he was trolling the neighborhood and was waiting to talk to me for 2 weeks. He told me he lives 2 blocks away and can hear it every time I start it up. he did not believe that it didn't cost over half a million.

I feel for that guy with the McLaren. He probably left his house with a young girl friend on his arm and thought he was the sh-t until he made the mistake of parking next to you.

Reminds me of a Gray Poupon commercial....

I love the SLC but the MP4-12C is a favorite of mine too. What kind of remorse was he having? Was he unhappy with it or did he just really appreciated the SLC and the money he could have saved?

Sorry for the hijack.......but are there any new videos coming? particularly the one with all of the Gold in the engine bay :thumbsup:.

This brings up a hypothetical that I've been pondering. Let's say a skilled builder such as Allan builds a street legal SLC with either an LS7 or LS9 crate motor, and gets it sorted out. You then take the car to a roadrace track with long straight(s) like Road America, where the speed advantage of a GT comes into play, as opposed to a Caterham or Atom. A skilled racing driver turns his best time in the car.

My question: What is the LEAST EXPENSIVE road legal production car that would be able to equal or exceed the SLC's on-track performance?

Here are the rules:
1. Same type of tires on both cars. Not necessarily the exact same size, but same model--Pilot Sport, Hoosier R, etc.
2. Production car must be a similar streetable GT that will comfortably seat two adults i.e. McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, Pagani, Mosler, Koenigsegg, etc., no Caparo T1 or the like.
3. SLC is set up to be driven on the street--no race splitter, 1" ground clearance, or other things that would make it less street-friendly than its competitors.
4. No megabuck one-off motor in the SLC. LS crate motor with a warranty.
5. Same driver (a good one).

Thoughts?

Edited to add: My best guess for least expensive production competitor would be McLaren 650S.

JR

Last edited:
This brings up a hypothetical that I've been pondering. Let's say a skilled builder such as Allan builds a street legal SLC with either an LS7 or LS9 crate motor, and gets it sorted out. You then take the car to a roadrace track with long straight(s) like Road America, where the speed advantage of a GT comes into play, as opposed to a Caterham or Atom. A skilled racing driver turns his best time in the car.

My question: What is the LEAST EXPENSIVE road legal production car that would be able to equal or exceed the SLC's on-track performance?

Here are the rules:
1. Same type of tires on both cars. Not necessarily the exact same size, but same model--Pilot Sport, Hoosier R, etc.
2. Production car must be a similar streetable GT that will comfortably seat two adults i.e. McLaren, Ferrari, Porsche, Pagani, Mosler, Koenigsegg, etc., no Caparo T1 or the like.
3. SLC is set up to be driven on the street--no race splitter, 1" ground clearance, or other things that would make it less street-friendly than its competitors.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: My best guess for least expensive production competitor would be McLaren 650S.

JR

First, congrats to Allan. I've seen firsthand the kind of attention his car attracts in the wild. I can just imagine the McLaren driver's look after talking to Allan...

As to John's query, my guess is that there aren't many production cars that could keep up with a well setup SLC with a big engine.

If you take the 01 car's times from 2011, it runs faster than any production car I've ever seen. Why that car at that place in time? Because it was (1) well driven, (2) similarly powered as to your hypothetical, though possibly a bit under powered compared to a hot LS9,, (3) had about the same aero as a stock SLC at the time and (4) actually weighed much more than the specified SLC in your query.

So looking at the lap times for that car at that time, what is faster? We raced and beat Ferrari Challenge cars, race-prepped Vipers, Corvettes of all flavors, several ex-IMSA 911s (one well-driven example with over 700 HP), and many others. But these were race prepped, and not really a stock production car by any means.

That leaves the DSR and CSRs, but we are excluding the sports racers (as they are one-seaters, and not a production car by any means).

The next faster cars are the ALMS-spec GT cars. These cars are several seconds a lap faster than the 2011 championship-winning SLC, but they really aren't the production car you were looking for either, as they are to a stock production car as NASCAR cars are to stock production cars.

So what is there out there that can really compete?

The problem is that we really don't have comparable times for a McLaren, or an SLS AMG, or any of the other cars you mention. I don't think any of them have run at Summit Point or at VIR or Mid O. There was one Lamborghini that I think ran at one of the UTCCs, but was slower than the SLC ran there in 2011, with street tires, a very mild motor (for economy) and several hundred pounds of extra weight that a real street car wouldn't have. A comparable SLC would no doubt clobber it on the track.

I imagine that you'd have to get to McLaren P1 territory, or the Porsche 918 range before the SLC would start losing.

But that's pretty rarefied air, and I doubt that most of us will ever even see one of those cars up close and in person.

I don't think it's too much to think that an owner with a well-built SLC with a big engine and the skills to drive it is unlikely to meet up with a car that is actual competition on a road course.

But that's just a guess. Until we get a matchup with a good driver running both of them on the same road course at the same time, we'll probably never know for sure.

I'm sure Ryan would make himself available under the right circumstances to help set the record straight, though. :)

Last edited:

Here are the rules:

Thoughts?

JR
I thought that the Viper ACR could and the 991GT3 RS might have a chance :lipsrsealed:
After Will's comment, I'm not so sure haha

Will, thanks for the thoughtful response. Why was the 2011 car much heavier than my hypothetical?

Matt, My Supermod class winning '96 Viper had Porsche endurance brakes and 315mm front tires. The current Viper ACR has ABS (but narrower front tires) and 200 more HP than mine did. Would that be enough to negate a 700 pound weight penalty on an LS9-powered SLC?

JR

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Matt...not even close.
Our GT40 replica has proven to best the cars you mention and the SLC is the next generation when it comes to track time....

John,
more cage, air jacks, heavier wing mounts, larger rotors, larger fuel tank..etc ..it all adds up

Will, thanks for the thoughtful response. Why was the 2011 car much heavier than my hypothetical?

Matt, My Supermod class winning '96 Viper had Porsche endurance brakes and 315mm front tires. The current Viper ACR has ABS (but narrower front tires) and 200 more HP than mine did. Would that be enough to negate a 700 pound weight penalty on an LS9-powered SLC?

JR

Perhaps paradoxically, the race car is much heavier than a "regular" street car. Part of that is due to the elaborate cage, some is due to extra race prep things (fire system, extra batteries, air jacks, etc) and part of it is just the result of being the first car. A new race car could be significantly lighter still, now that we understand more about how to reduce weight. There are of course differences in sprint and endurance trims, which affect weight as well.

The relatively low weight of the SLC compared to the "normal" production car is where a big part of the performance comes into play. Sure, the SLC has great brakes, tremendous suspension, etc., but so do the other cars. The problem is that those other cars typically have to drag around another 600-1600 lbs of extra lard around every turn, down every braking lane, and along every straight. It makes a big difference.

Superlite, FTW. :)

Matt...not even close.
Our GT40 replica has proven to best the cars you mention and the SLC is the next generation when it comes to track time....

Can't be certain considering the 991 gt3 rs isn't even out yet ;) but clearly, I have misjudged the SLC's track prowess.

You could always ship an SLC to the Ring and compare times...
Ring times are a bit of a publicity stunt at this point but it would at least give a definitive answer on one track.

I love the SLC but the MP4-12C is a favorite of mine too. What kind of remorse was he having? Was he unhappy with it or did he just really appreciated the SLC and the money he could have saved?

He just really liked the SL-C, especially how exotic it looked. He was unhappy that he didn't have anymore room in his garage.

Sorry for the hijack.......but are there any new videos coming? particularly the one with all of the Gold in the engine bay :thumbsup:.

Soon...
And for everyone that asked I'll be making one about putting together the door actuators and installing them.

Soon...
And for everyone that asked I'll be making one about putting together the door actuators and installing them.

Allen,

Watched them both. I greatly enjoy seeing unique modifications, fabrication and ideas become working products. :thumbsup:

It is crazy the level of attention these cars get. I went out to dinner with a few friends and in the group, we had a Ferrari FF, a 430 Scud, a Ford GT Gulf Edition and a few Lambos...EVERYONE was checking out the SL-C...no love for the other cars.

Attachments

• IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    388.8 KB · Views: 413
Back