New SL-C owner

Firstly as a new SL-C owner I must confess I didn’t build this car – I purchased it already completed. Total respect to all those who do build these themselves, I don’t have the skills, time or patience to undertake a build.
Secondly a HUGE shout out to Fran for the massive amount of time he’s spent assisting me via email regarding this car, especially as I’ve only spent a relatively small amount of money with RCR on a direct basis. I’m massively impressed with Fran’s response time and the fact he helps me no matter how annoying my question might be. Not being the builder of the car puts me far behind the 8 ball on car knowledge and there was no build detail/log provided with my car. Been doing a lot of reading, looking and learning!
I’ve also had excellent assistance from John Gare of ETB Instruments regarding the Digidash and from Jay Harris from ISIS.
Also thanks to Craig Young in NZ who supplied me with lovely alloy CNC machined SL-C lettering…these are not installed as yet!
All of these people have provided a faultless service

I purchased the car with 150km on the odometer and I’ve managed to add 1,600km since then but all mainly ‘shake down’ driving and all minor issue are sorted now. Looking forward to starting to explore this cars potential which I’m sure will far exceed my talents!

Here are some pictures of the car:

cheers
Stuart

Nice car.

Last year I was thinking of duplicating the front end paint treatment from a pic of your car- it is something I hadn't seen before on an SLC.

Thanks Jack, Mike and Will.

Mike, it’s an industrial area and very quiet but I’ll have to credit the defacement to others…I’ve not driven the car in anger as wanted to make sure all the systems were operating correctly.

Will, The white striping is actually a vinyl wrap and thus you can change it easier than paint.

Jack, Mike and Will.
I was wondering whether any of you have had your car weighed?
Anyone else with a completed SL-C I would be interested to hear the final weight?
Mine’s running an LS376/480hp and Ricardo with all creature comforts of a modern car.
Mine with a full tank for Petrol weighed in at 1,300kg or 2866 pounds and I’m interested to see what other finished cars are weighing in at?

I also have a a couple queries (for now) and hope other owners might throw some advice/insight my way.

1. As you can see (pic's above) the vents in my rear Clam, behind the engine window, haven’t been cut open.
I know most of the USA cars run their air filter over the top of the transaxle and thus have the vents cut open. Mine has a closed air intake directing air from the roof turret (see first picture below).
I’m thinking I should cut open the vents to allow hot engine air to be forced out the rear of the car. Would you agree?

2. When the sun shines through curvature, at the top of the side windows and strikes me in the head its rather intense, almost like being subjected to the sun’s rays as if coming through a magnifying glass.
My understanding is these windows can’t be tinted as they are not glass.
Has anyone got any ideas I can implement to prevent this occurrence?
I suppose a swinging internal sun visor could be the solution?

I’ve also added an interior picture.
[/URL

Very nice looking car. I was looking at them before I got my gt40. I would think of getting one if it was in Canada and complete ,love cars don't have the ability so I need to get ones that are finished.

I think opening the vent is a good idea. It will no doubt aid in helping move air out of the engine compartment. Some builders have used fans to suck the hot air out of the compartment, especially useful when the car is idling and doesn't have forced airflow.

I also note you don't have the taillight covers. Is that a design decision, or is there something else operating here?

Light coming through the window is something I've been thinking about. Moveable visors is a possible solution. Another might be to try to "fade" in some spray tint made for Lexan. I've though about that, but am afraid to do it on a window I own. :). I'm still pondering.

My car is much lighter than that, also with an LS and Ricardo, but with a dry sump and no interior yet. It would be interesting to know where the weight came in.

Nice interior, BTW!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Stuart,

Very nice car! I've seen pictures of it previously and thought it was very well done. one of the nicer interiors I've seen - love the center console.

Here's an option for tinting windows - plastidip smoke: https://www.dipyourcar.com/Plasti-Dip-Smoke/. Youtube video: PlastiDip Smoke - Review on Tail Lights and Chrome - DipYourCar.com - YouTube
I'd probably do the inside of the window, as it's a matte finish. If you don't like how it comes out, peel it off. I've got a can, maybe I'll try it on one of my windows and see how it works.

:eek: EDIT: Nevermind the plastidip suggestion. I just tried it on some scrap Plexiglas I had in the garage. It tints it, but it also has a frosting effect where you really can't see through it anymore.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul!

Will,
- I certainly will get the rear vents cut open then. I actually thought it rather strange it wasn’t already done given the obvious benefits!
- Can’t comment on why it doesn’t have the taillight covers…it came like it is. I like the individual LED setup though and wouldn’t change it.
- I think a movable visor might be easiest due to occasional use only.
- I was really surprised when the weight came it at what it did. I know the car has big side intrusion bars in the doors and that air intake weighs a few kg’s . But other than that I don’t know what it would have that’s different to cars with similar setup.
That why I asked for other SL-C weights… as I feel mine is a little porkie!
I will take it to another weigh bridge for a second opinion!

PeteB & Will.
The interior blew me away when I first saw it because having seen some other kit cars this we very close to OEM quality. I will take some more pictures and post up.
One more pic for now

Last edited:
G'day Dimi!
Over N beaches way. I watched your gt40 build and Peter D took me for a spin in his years ago. Keen to meet up with you blokes!

Stu -- would you happen to know who manufacturers your "back up" camera. That's exactly where I need to mount one- re: rear roof area and it looks good -- Mike

Hello Stu, I have not pulled the trigger yet but am interested in your side intrusion bars in the doors. I note that you said that this is not your build, but do you have any info?
Thanks, Mike

Hello Stu, I have not pulled the trigger yet but am interested in your side intrusion bars in the doors. I note that you said that this is not your build, but do you have any info?
Thanks, Mike

The side bars are a regular option on the car. They bolt in, but preclude the optional door panels.

Let's not confuse the roll cage side bar option with the flimsy Australian intrusion parts for AU compliance.

I will look into the static window tint, thanks!

Mike, to remove the camera I have to remove the entire air intake system which I don't have time to do at present. I can tell you the sticker on the back says:
SD Licence Plate CCD
1.7mm MIR 1142
NTSC DC12V 180mA

Perhaps google that info see if anything comes up! ?
I will post pic next week as only have mobile phone this weekend

The side intrusion bars are not the RCR ones, they are for aust side impact regulations.

Back