Shock Spring Rates and/or Length Changes

A lot of recent activity on springs lately got me thinking about my tire to body rub slight issue (outer/upper tire edge) and figured a new thread on this topic may help to condense this info versus piggy-backing within someone's build thread.

My body inner wheel lips appear cut back appropriately, my ride height is about right and I have increased my shock settings from 7-8 to 12-13 click range. I have noted that on the rear I'm running out/low on rear spring compression - the springs are pretty bound up, not much more turnbuckle adjustment left. I have the "stock" supplied shocks/springs and do not use the front lift kit. I have about road 1,800 road miles at this point. I'm getting a little tire rub on all four corners at the upper-top areas of the body wheel openings. I guess I could raise the body height further, but then the wheels wouldn't sit as nicely within the body wheel openings as they do now.

Can anyone give me a drivers opinion on their spring swap-changes or other areas that I need to look at. I know that several have swapped springs, but some are still under build and may not have many/any road miles yet. All opinions are welcome though - road-track-completed or not cars - Manuf. size and part numbers? or should I just connect with Fran/RCR.

Thx - Mike

"Quotes:

"Let us know how the 750 lb springs look. Are you using 7" - 750 lb? I'm getting ready to order mine and I want to see examples before I order. Your transmission is heavier than mine? How much more weight? I'm coil bound too. "

If you look at the picture in post #382 you can see that I am almost out of travel with the stock 650lb spring. With them in the picture as shown I still don't have enough ride height. I and others have elected to go with 8" springs instead in the back. The Ricardo is just over 200lbs I believe. It might be 20lbs heavier than the Graz but I'm just guessing. Quote"

Last edited:
I have 750 lb springs, the adjustment is about 2/3rds up for ride height. My motor is around 300 with everything on it, the tranny not sure what it weights, 5 speed mendeola.

Seems ok, have plenty of room in between coils. 650 verses 750

I have 750 lb springs, the adjustment is about 2/3rds up for ride height. My motor is around 300 with everything on it, the tranny not sure what it weights, 5 speed mendeola.

Seems ok, have plenty of room in between coils. 650 verses 750

Garry - did you go with the 7" or 8" spring? That's a light motor.

I use the Porsche G96.50 box btw. It supposedly weighs in the 175lb. plus range.

You shouldn't have any rub at all - I went w/ 7''x650f, 750r, but it will depend on your rim size. I tried 8'' but with 18'' rims it looked like a monster truck.

I ended up setting my suspension based on having a 2 finger gap between the tightest point of the tire and the body. This gave me adequate clearance, about 4 1/4'' front ride height and 3 1/2'' rear ride height .... i know running negative rake is bad, but at 4'' rear ride height I could fit 4 fingers through the wheel gap, and at the factory recommended 4 1/2'' rear, um, lol, well over a fist.

You shouldn't have any rub at all - I went w/ 7''x650f, 750r, but it will depend on your rim size. I tried 8'' but with 18'' rims it looked like a monster truck.

I ended up setting my suspension based on having a 2 finger gap between the tightest point of the tire and the body.

Yep, got about 2 finger gap also. I noticed more rub (I could smell the rubber) when I had the shock compression settings softer - less so now but still get some rub under certain road conditions re: dips/depression in road surface or under hard cornering. I'm using the standard Z06 sizing 18" frt. & 19" rear. Pictures are of my L-S Rear tire and then R-S Rear.

What springs are the cars shipped with - front and rear?

Sizes:
Lbs.:

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 242
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 254

Ken Roberts

Supporter
My car was shipped with 650lb 7" springs front & rear.

This afternoon I'm installing in the rear the 750lb 8" springs.

Sorry, here are the pictures, before with 650 lb and after with 750 ride height the same, might be a couple hundred lighter then a LS motor

Attachments

• DSCF0727.jpg
    DSCF0727.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0724.jpg
    DSCF0724.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 279

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Before and after pictures. Went from a 7" 650lbs to 8" 750lbs. I'm using the heavier Ricardo box.

The black springs are made by SWIFT. Part number is 080-250-750

I am just thankful that Warren and Fran let me know about the spring bind, I would of never thought about looking for that.

Thanks to both of you.

Another disaster diverted, WHEW.

If I get another set, I would get 8" length.

Before and after pictures. Went from a 7" 650lbs to 8" 750lbs. I'm using the heavier Ricardo box.

The black springs are made by SWIFT. Part number is 080-250-750

Ken, my springs look just like your before photos. Thank you for the part number. I initially wondered why you went with the swift part - just checked the QA1 site and see that they do NOT appear to list any 8" springs. Too bad - the QA1 springs look to be about 1/2 the price of the swift parts. THX-Mike

Ken - been looking at the swift spring. Most the websites show the spring in a gold/copper color (fugly) without drop-down windows for color choices. Where did you find yours in black.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Ken - been looking at the swift spring. Most the websites show the spring in a gold/copper color (fugly) without drop-down windows for color choices. Where did you find yours in black.

I bought them from Alex. You'd need to ask him where he purchased them.

I'm thinking about swapping to the 750lbs as well.

My SLC is for the street, and I was wondering if the ride feel is much stiffer with the 750lbs.

My SLC is for the street, and I was wondering if the ride feel is much stiffer with the 750lbs.

If you can wait till next weekend I'll let you know. I'll probably order the Hyperco's later tonight.

If you didn't want to go to 750lbs., they also have 8" in 650lbs. & 700lbs.

Dont know why but mine has 550 lb with Ricardo and ls7 441ci, rides real good but borderline bottom out. Probably why mine really hooks up. 1st gear you can really lay into it pretty hard before it breaks loose. I would like to try 650lbs and see what happens to the ride.

Back