Which alternator for LS3?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Which alternator should I get for a crate LS376/480 using the RCR pulley kit?

Last edited:
Be aware that if goggle GM8247 you'll get a lot of references to 105 amp units (mostly showing multiple years of gm trucks). The front access. kit verbiage from several sites and jegs mentions the following: 150Amp Alternator, Kit uses OEM 2006-2007 Cadillac CTSV components.

It appears that the alternators run the gamut from 105 amps, some say 130, 145 & others say 150 amps etc. Pretty damn confusing when you search via GM model year/type and/or specific model #'s. To be honest I do not know which unit came in my frt. access. kit part # 19155066 (tall & narrow).

Examples:

Powermaster 8247 Powermaster GM AD Style Alternators - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Chevrolet Performance 19155066 Chevrolet Performance LS Engine Serpentine Belt Drive Systems - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS

Last edited:
Speaking of alternators, the one the factory sold me makes a tick tick tick noise if I spin the pulley (no belt on it) ... I would NOT say it's a squeeling noise, but a ticking like something is knocking against something else .... the pulley spins freely and doesn't go into bind or have any wobble in it .... are the bearings shot and I need to replace it or what?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Speaking of alternators, the one the factory sold me makes a tick tick tick noise if I spin the pulley (no belt on it) ... I would NOT say it's a squeeling noise, but a ticking like something is knocking against something else .... the pulley spins freely and doesn't go into bind or have any wobble in it .... are the bearings shot and I need to replace it or what?

Mine makes the same noise - must be normal.

Turns out its bearings were shot - Pete, if yours is making a knocking/ticking noise when free spinning something is wrong.

I bought a GM oem one, figured an extra $100 was worth it rather than a pos china reman one, guess time will tell. if anybody wants, it's 105amp, 8247 alternator, gm part # 19244731

Back