In-Tank Fuel Pump

Has anyone tried an in-tank fuel pump solution? An in tank pump has a few advantages.

1)Runs Cooler and pump last longer
2)Quieter
3)Let clutter on the outside of the tank

I can't imagine it being that hard, and should only require cutting an access port for the fuel pump.

The Mclaren F1 used an in tank fuel pump, and as far as I know, it didn't have too many issues with fuel starvation.

Yes, you can still run a swirl pot, and a high pressure external if you want.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I run an in-tank fuel pump. It's a fuel module from a 2002 Camaro. The stock pump in the module was upgraded to a Walbro 250. The internal electrical harness was also upgraded to handle the extra current the pump draws. The top of the tank needs to be modified to fit the module.

The Aeromotive "phantom" system will also require the top of the tank to be modified as it's too narrow.

Has anyone tried an in-tank fuel pump solution? An in tank pump has a few advantages.

1)Runs Cooler and pump last longer
2)Quieter
3)Let clutter on the outside of the tank

I can't imagine it being that hard, and should only require cutting an access port for the fuel pump.

The Mclaren F1 used an in tank fuel pump, and as far as I know, it didn't have too many issues with fuel starvation.

Yes, you can still run a swirl pot, and a high pressure external if you want.

guitaraholic, here is a link to a thread I started when I was considering an in tank fuel pump.
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/39871-fuel-pump.html
After receiving much helpful feed-back, I decided not to go that route!

Jim

I'm currently installing an in-tank system in my SL-C. The fuel pump assembly is from tanks.com. This fuel pump setup is nice because you can use the fuel tank as is and simply cut the required mounting pattern in the top surface of the tank. I've cut my tank apart though and I'm installing fuel safe check balls in a new baffle wall.

I'm using the GM style filter/regulator which I will mount above the fuel tank.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 226
Back