BBares SLC build thread

imagejpg2_zps1234de36.jpg

imagejpg5_zpsdff56bb7.jpg

imagejpg6_zpsd1fccd88.jpg

imagejpg3_zps5d5e6c75.jpg

Been awhile since I posted last. Besides the SLC in the shop, we are doing some race prep on a 356 Porsche, and some very custom work on a different 356 "outlaw" Porsche.

From the information I have gathered on this website, the fans are effective up to about 30 mph at which time, if a full coverage fan shroud is in place, backpressure begins to build. "Spring flaps" are suggested to be placed in the shroud to relieve the backpressure as it builds. Also, directions recommend rubber mounting both the radiator and the condenser in this car.

The pictures represent our interpretation of a solution. Here's a quick summary: Four aluminum mounting plates or brackets have been made and attached (fixed) to the radiator. the round part you see in the pictures are an Audi S4 rubber suspension bushing that has been aligned and welded into the bracket. A nut and bolt then affix the the rubber bushing to the RCR aluminum radiator supports. The radiator is now fully suspended, or floating, on the rubber suspension bushings. this should be more than adequate (more like "overkill"), but I believe it will be very reliable and easily maintained.

Our solution for rubber mounting the condenser is less complicated, but not as readily visible in the pictures. At ridge of aluminum was milled so that it just fits inside the existing slot of the condenser. The aluminum ridge was attached to the floor in front of the radiator (all with countersunk bolts) and a 1/8" of rubber was glued to it. The condenser is set on top of this so that the bottom of the condenser is stabilized. From the pictures you can see the bracket we have made that attaches to the RCR crossbar and fit into the existing slot of the condenser. Careful insoection and you can see the piece of rubber that is placed between our bracket and the condenser itself.

This process took more time and figuring than I would like to admit, but I am satisfied with its outcome. Many other hours have been spent sanding the body to prep for paint, along with laying out otheer SLC systems. The Vintage A/C system is almost completed. Again, to get it right the first time, and as tight a fit as this system requires. a chunk of time had to be dedicated to this process. I will post these pictures and results very soon.

Hi Bill
Great looking work there... Very tidy
I will enjoy following this build thread.
Thanks for posting.

Cheers Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4600.JPG
    DSCF4600.JPG
    413.9 KB · Views: 216
imagejpg10_zps4f68c3d7.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsfeb242eb.jpg

We were able to get the Vintage Air System attached under the dash. This is a very tight fit, not much room for error. As with the radiator and condenser mounting, this took more time than expected too. I can't say enough to say "Thank you" to the many who continue to add their information and their experience. Much of my motivation and inspiration is a result of the postings on this website. Cheers to all of you!

Back