You're not a hot-rodder unless you own a Sawzall... JR's Build Thread

Friday we trailered the SLC 21 hours from St. Louis to Connecticut and delivered it to Allan for completion. I had to face the fact that my long torso results in my head hitting the roof structure in any normal seating position, even sitting on the floor with no seat or padding in the car at all, and no helmet.

I bit the bullet and owned up to the fact that the car has to have a "Gurney Bump" to be usable, especially on track days.

Here we have some action shots of Allan cutting the hole in the roof and door, and cutting out the left roof bar, which will be replaced by a longer re-arched tube that sits higher and more toward the center of the cockpit.

Stay tuned...

JR

Attachments

• Allan1.jpg
    Allan1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Allan2.jpg
    Allan2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 522
  • Allan3.jpg
    Allan3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 491
I'm running an 8 port Jenvey system on the 5000, and the only advice I can give, is you MUST invest in a quality carby balancer, as they are so very sensitive to the slightest adjustment, the tube in you ear trick is nowhere near accurate enough.
and believe me once there balanced, its instant throttle response, so hold on.

john

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I'm running an 8 port Jenvey system on the 5000, and the only advice I can give, is you MUST invest in a quality carby balancer, as they are so very sensitive to the slightest adjustment, the tube in you ear trick is nowhere near accurate enough.
and believe me once there balanced, its instant throttle response, so hold on.

john

Looking at their website (Jenvey), just choosing & putting the pieces of a 'system together properly in the 1st place would be too far above my pay grade! :stunned:

I imagine that's one of the main reasons engine shops exist... :D

Don't worry larry I've been a mechanic all my life and I got lost initially, an assembly manual would have been very helpful.

john

Re: You're not a hot-rodder if you don't own a Sawzall... JR's Build Thread

It's not how tall John is, it's a packaging thing...I am sure he will elaborate in his usual reserved style lol

Okay, here goes. In college I was six feet (72") tall. Thirty-five years later, I am a bit shorter, 5'11" to 5'11 1/2", depending on the time of day when I get measured.

Here's the problem: I have short legs and a long torso. The inseam on my pants is 29". That's the measurement you'd expect on a man with a height of 5'3" or so.

If I sit down on a hard surface like a park bench next to some guy that's 6'6" tall, there's a good chance the top of my head will be at least as high as his, because he probably has a 36" inseam, and therefore ALL of his height advantage is in his legs.

As an example, I cannot sit comfortably in the driver's seat of many "normal" vehicles (such as the Jeep Grand Cherokee) if the vehicle has a sunroof. Headroom with the sunroof option is reduced to where my noggin is scraping the headliner in a normal driving position, even with the power seat lowered to its lowest position.

In some cars I can address this problem by reclining the back of the seat. In the SLC, that puts your head farther back where the roofline is even LOWER, so I have to recline the seatback to a ridiculous angle where my sightline is so low I can't even see the pavement for the first 50 yards in front of the car.

Out came the saws...

JR

'Would really be interested to find out how difficult that setup was to PROGRAM and how well it RUNS once you've gotten it dialed in...and just how much of a PITB/challenge 'twas to GET IT THERE.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have no idea. Brian Thomson built the motor and dialed it in on the dyno. When Allan finishes the car, I'm trailering it back home with a stop at Fran's/Brian's to have them do a final tune on a chassis dyno.

The cheapest way to pay for anything is with money...

JR

In case you missed it, here's some info on the motor:
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/slc-clubhouse/39271-preliminary-dyno-results-my-slcs-engine.html

Back