How to get the windshield to fit???

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
On the first test fit, the windshield was touching the body on the top and on the bottom in the middle, but I had about a 1/2 gap on both sides. I then put spacers between the top of the footbox and the body to spread the sides out. Now I've got a 1/4 gap on the sides and a 1/4 gap at the top middle. What am I doing wrong?

If you place spacers under the a and b pillar locations between the body and chassis the windscreen will fit very nicely
I am
Out of town otherwise I would send you pictures
I am back on Monday and can demonstrate how little needs to be adjusted to get a great fit
The windscreen need to be in place during the bodyfit and mounting
As described in the build manual

Mine fit just the oppsite, just at the bottom I had a 1/2 gap, so I just pulled the body out on each side. It was around 3/16 on each side and the installer just use urathane to fill it in.

Just took the center section off after running all summer, Fran said you can do it without taking the windshield out, which I found out nobody will touch it to remove it. Takes 2 to lift the body off, but did it without breaking it so WOO HOO.

Put the windshield in before you line up everything, I painted mine off the car, which when I put it back together this next year after the interior is done, I will repaint it with the body on the car, had a hard time adjusting my doors from hitting as they lifted up the top of the front section, so I will repaint after the body is all lined up this time.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I've tried spacers, pulling on the @#$! thing, moving the body around, and it just won't fit. I'm about ready to roll the #$!$$!% out in the driveway and light it on fire...

I guess I'll try filling the gaps with urathane, but we're talking about a 1/2" gap on each side. I can push down on the windshield and close the gap to about 1/4", but I'm a bit concerned about the windshield cracking eventually if I install it in a stressed condition.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well, got the windshield in. I got the sides pulled out, then put a suction cup on the top of the body right in front of the scoop. Kept the top pulled up by running a rope through the suction cup handle tied an eyehook in the ceiling.

Isn't forcing the windshield to keep the body shape going to cause it to crack?

My original glass windshield just fit in place as is. Perfect fitment on sides and top w/o any fancy fidgeting needed.

My opinion and others can chime in... you should fix the shape of the body by mounting it to the rollbar and the chassis with welded tabs. You use the windshield as a guide to create the shape needed with a quarter inch gap from the windshield to the body. At least this is what I'm planning to do.. This will keep the body from moving when driving and reduce squeaks as well..

Pete:

I fit my windshield tonight and found that the fitment is good. I added 1/2" spacers between the body and the top of the chassis at the A-pillar. Allan talks about adding spacers and fixing the body at this location in You Tube interior video #81.

My only concern is that using 3/16" spacers makes the glass look too far off of the body. It looks like Yos's car on Allan's You Tube video. This is the furthest I've seen the SL-C windshield away from the body. All of Allan's other cars look much closer. Any comments from anyone else that has actually installed a windshield in a SL-C?

If you study the video you'll see...

Attachments

• Yos windshield.jpg
    Yos windshield.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 307
My only concern is that using 3/16" spacers makes the glass look too far off of the body. It looks like Yos's car on Allan's You Tube video. This is the furthest I've seen the SL-C windshield away from the body. All of Allan's other cars look much closer. Any comments from anyone else that has actually installed a windshield in a SL-C?

If you study the video you'll see...

The windshield isn't attached yet in this video or pictures, it is held on with double sided tape temporarily.

Installing the windshield is a combination of shimming out the body between the roll bar and drawing the lower corners in gently.

Allan:

Do you use 1/4" windshield adhesive tape or do you dispense a bead of adhesive from a caulking gun? How much space between the windshield and the body?

The windscreens are manufactured for me by an OEM glass company, the shape of the SLC glass is pretty complex although it may look simple enough.
The tolerance that the glass company holds as a standard is +/- 2mm so there is a potential for a 4mm range.
They are pretty good about being inside this as they supply tens of thousands of windows a year.

As mentioned shimming the body under the A pillar between the body and the crosscar dash beam is sometimes helpful, as is shimming between the top of the roll hoop and the inner roof edge, neither are is visible once the standard dash and inner roof panel are installed

So... Let's simply answer the question.... How thick of adhesive are most of you guys using between the body and glass? 1/4"

This type of back and forth conversation without answering the root question is what is frustrating. Maybe no one really knows??

Fran:

What is the designed dimension?

There is no designed dimension as each piece of glass has the potential to be different...as I just explained

Neither is there a designed dimension for the thickness of shim required as every component has production tolerance and variation, not taking into account each builders potential for variation.

The question has been answered by at least three people

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I ended up with 1/2" shims at the A-pillars and about 1/8-1/4" gap at the corners filled with urathane.

My issue apparently was I had pulled down the top of the body in front of the scoop a bit to meet up with the roof panel. After removing the roof panel and pulling the body back up with a suction cup, I got the windshield to fit reasonably. However, I now have about a inch gap between the front of the roof panel and the body. I used two layers of foam tape to fill this in.

Pete , did you trim/open up the pockets around the top of the roll cage on the roof panel as this often helps...as does trimming the front edge of the roof panel itself to relieve some of the structure..it has a large flange as you know.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Yes, I trimmed the pockets quite a bit. The roof panel fits well on the sides above the doors.

I assume that you guys are talking about trimming the pockets of the inner roof panel ( headliner panel)? The outer body doesn't come close to touching the roll cage. Correct?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Well, the windshield cracked on the left side, where one of the big gaps was filled. :furious:

Back