BBares SLC build thread

Dry Sump Pump
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y506/baresdds/photo1_zps6beebd99.jpg

With this latest update, I wanted to pass on what I had recently learned. I was unaware when I purchased this Dailey Dry Sump System that the dry sump pump would conflict with where the a/c compressor was to be mounted. The picture above shows the position of the dry sump pump. As a result, we had to remount both the compressor and the alternator.

Remounting Comp. and Alt
http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y506/baresdds/imagejpg12_zps049eb252.jpg

This picture shows the new location of both units, the new brackets we made, and the fan belt installed. Needless to say, this was a lot of work. I believe we have enough belt contact and if not, we can add a tensioner. The brackets should be strong enough as is; however, if I'm wrong, I will add some more support to the brackets with the remaining unused mounting hole still available on the original alternator bracket.

Howard Jones

Supporter
I think you should begin work on a tensioner. I think putting the whole car together only to find a big fix at hand is harder to swallow than going to plan B now. I think that the alternator pulley should have at least a third of it circumference in contact with the belt I would be trying for 40%. Your picture looks like it could be as little as a 15-20%. I think it will slip a lot and certainly at higher change in engine speed rates or when heavily loaded.

I think the AC pump will slip but I can't see the other side. It really needs good belt contact. I would go for at least a third of its circumference. If the belt continues around the pulley and then upward to the water pump then it might be OK. How's the water pump pulley contact?

Do you have a head on picture that shows the whole setup?

A tensioner deep between the two might work. Maybe even run the AC pump off a separate belt.

Real nice work on the mounts. Clearly you are good at that so one more time back to the drawing board buddy. Aint hotrods fun! We should get together. PM me.

Last edited:
Dry Sump Pump
photo1_zps6beebd99.jpg

With this latest update, I wanted to pass on what I had recently learned. I was unaware when I purchased this Dailey Dry Sump System that the dry sump pump would conflict with where the a/c compressor was to be mounted. The picture above shows the position of the dry sump pump. As a result, we had to remount both the compressor and the alternator.

Remounting Comp. and Alt
imagejpg12_zps049eb252.jpg

This picture shows the new location of both units, the new brackets we made, and the fan belt installed. Needless to say, this was a lot of work. I believe we have enough belt contact and if not, we can add a tensioner. The brackets should be strong enough as is; however, if I'm wrong, I will add some more support to the brackets with the remaining unused mounting hole still available on the original alternator bracket.

Fixed that for you, try using

Howard - I am inclined to agree with you and I will take a closer look when I have the motor out. In the meantime, I'll get another tensioner (lol).

Thank you too Paul. I am still learning more about computer skills than I am about fabrication.

Back