Engine Crossmember Orientation

Does it matter which way the crossmember is orientated? Does it make a difference if the holes/mounts are in front of or behind the bar that goes accross the chassis? I don't think it should make a differnce, but will ask anyways just to be safe.

Not that I'm aware of, but I did put them facing the back... Seemed more conducive to the forces it would see based on my eyeball geometry and engineering skills.

Not that I'm aware of, but I did put them facing the back... Seemed more conducive to the forces it would see based on my eyeball geometry and engineering skills.

That's how I have mine right now. I haven't drilled the holes/secured it to the frame yet. I know that I am will probably have to drill holes for the front, remove the engine, and drill the back set of holes, because as the crossmember sits with the engine on it, it doesn't sit flat against the chassis. I also don't like the fact the braces are a quite a bit wider than the chassis rails (enough to require some large spacers to fit between the frame and the bracket/brace).

If memory serves me...

You should have some U-shaped brackets that fit between the cross member and the frame from the bottom.

The cross member should not fit perfectly because there needs to be room for these brackets.

Only reason I was thinking about removing the engine (or at least raising it) was that with the weight of the engine on the braces, they don't sit flat against the frame and the brace tilts ever so slightly back, however, I will see if I have the brackets that go between the frame and the crossmember.

okay, just got home, found the black brackets that go under the cross-member. I am assuming they go on top of the chassis brace and under the crossmember (as in an upside-down "U").

Only reason I question is I often think, or should I say over think things. If it was set the other way (like a traditional "U") would it not brace against the torquing effect of the engine. I'm just trying to set it in the optimal orientation.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Only reason I was thinking about removing the engine (or at least raising it) was that with the weight of the engine on the braces, they don't sit flat against the frame and the brace tilts ever so slightly back, however, I will see if I have the brackets that go between the frame and the crossmember.

I had the same problem. I shimmed it with some washers.

okay, just got home, found the black brackets that go under the cross-member. I am assuming they go on top of the chassis brace and under the crossmember (as in an upside-down "U").

Only reason I question is I often think, or should I say over think things. If it was set the other way (like a traditional "U") would it not brace against the torquing effect of the engine. I'm just trying to set it in the optimal orientation.

Uhhh No. They go UNDER the cross member to fully box in the frame. You'll figure that out as the holes won't line up in your orientation.

Uhhh No. They go UNDER the cross member to fully box in the frame. You'll figure that out as the holes won't line up in your orientation.

Thanks, I thought it didn't make too much sense the other way, but wanted to make sure. Boxing in the frame does make more sense.

Back