Wiper Motor/arm location?

Hey all (paging Will Campbell!)

Hopefully someone has some measurements and pics of the wiper motor install so the tub doesn't have to be cut.

Also, dumb question, but the wiper arm has a clockable stud on it... I haven't run into this style of wiper attachment before, anyone have info on that?

Much appreciated fellas!

The manual has pictures of the install on my car- but with a hole cut in the chassis for clearance as discussed.

If you don't want to notch the chassis sheet, drill the hole 2 1/8" down from the edge of the windshield flange.

Use the same side measurement as in the manual.

The manual has pictures of the install on my car- but with a hole cut in the chassis for clearance as discussed.

If you don't want to notch the chassis sheet, drill the hole 2 1/8" down from the edge of the windshield flange.

Use the same side measurement as in the manual.

From the manual, as you described it's about 10" (can't remember the exact off the top of my head). Correct, I do not want to notch the chassis.

I'll retry this measurement tonight.

Does that include 1/2" of spacers?

Thank you. :)

The spacers are on the shaft itself, and don't affect the location of the hole in the body, if I understand your question. :)

The optimum amount of spacers you need is a function of the length of the shaft, and the desired height or protrusion of the shaft through the body. I have a low profile mount and it keeps the wiper are very tight to the body. Others who have a long shaft variant of the motor, and use no or few spacers, have the end of the wiper arm sticking out an inch or two. Depending on whether or not this offends your sensibilities, you may or not need to use spacers.

Here are the measurements I used, I believe I got them from Will. Two pieces of 1/4" to space it out and a piece of 1/4" ground on an angle 1/4" to 0 over 1 1/2" and threaded for a 5/16" stud. JB weld to the fiberglass and then cloth fiberglass when dried.

Attachments

• 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    582.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    578.9 KB · Views: 263
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    604.3 KB · Views: 272
  • 002 (2).JPG
    002 (2).JPG
    594.9 KB · Views: 265
The spacers are on the shaft itself, and don't affect the location of the hole in the body, if I understand your question. :)

The optimum amount of spacers you need is a function of the length of the shaft, and the desired height or protrusion of the shaft through the body. I have a low profile mount and it keeps the wiper are very tight to the body. Others who have a long shaft variant of the motor, and use no or few spacers, have the end of the wiper arm sticking out an inch or two. Depending on whether or not this offends your sensibilities, you may or not need to use spacers.

I see no spacers on the shaft.... I see a jamb nut and a nut used to tighten it to the body... Spacers?

Also, thanks Al, I'll look at those more closely tomorrow.

I see no spacers on the shaft.... I see a jamb nut and a nut used to tighten it to the body... Spacers?

As Al's picture showed, the spacers move the end of the wiper motor shaft relative the body, which moves the arm closer to the body. The spacers fit between the body and the wiper motor to, in effect, shorten the shaft so that the end of the shaft (and hence the arm) sticks out less. Your choice if you want to use them or not, but using the right spacing keeps the arm tight to the body, which some (like me) prefer.

Back