Mounting the hippo mirrors

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The mirrors come with some metal inserts for the mounting bolts. What size drill bit should I use to drill the holes for the inserts?

I started with one just a little bigger then the shank size it was way to tight then kept going up in sizes till I got to work it was almost size on size by the time it went in if you try to install with the hole to small the incerts will snap in half.

When I got the mirror angled correctly, I marked it, and drilled through the door into the base of the mirror with a bit the right size for a 1/8' squeeze pin. I drove the squeeze pin into the base of the mirror. I enlarged the hole in the door so the squeeze pin would fit. Then tighten the mirror with the 1/4" bolt. The squeeze pin keeps the mirror in place without having to over tighten the 1/4 bolt.

Mine didn't come with inserts. I just drilled through the door into the mirror with the right size drill for a 1/4-20 tap. I tapped the resin in the mirror base, and that worked great. Just be careful not to drill too deep... You can wrap a piece of tape around the bit where you want to stop drilling- it's pretty clear when to stop as the tape flag whips around while drilling.

The hex socket in the insert tend to break out if you exert too much force during installation. The inserts have plenty of threads to bite the plastic, so drill the holes a little large.

Also, put a little soap on the thread to help them install more easily.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to do mirror #2 tomorrow. I broke one insert on the first one, but I had a 1/4-20 rivnut that worked to replace it.

Back