Introduction & Advice

First post on here and wanted to introduce myself. Name is Del and there's no doubt future SLC builder/owner. Modifying stuff has always been a hobby of mine. If I own it or want to buy something, likely it's going to be modified. Stuff ranges from cars, truck, CRF50 stunt bike, making a CRF50 street legal, Hayabusa's, guns, RC cars/boats and the list can go on and on. I've owned several vehicles, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk #102, 2005 GTO, 2008 Trailblazer SS, Suzuki SV650, 2003 Hayabusa and presently own a Ford Raptor & 2009 Hayabusa. Every vehicle I've owned has always had a personalized license plate (another childhood thing). While I have time to figure out what SLC will have, past has been XTINCT (Firehawk & GTO), LS2SSUV (TBSS), MY 420 (03 & 09 Hayabusa), FIDDY (street legal CRF50) and the Raptor has had both XTINCT and EXTINCT (just got the latter when it became available). My passion lies in electronics and back when I was in college and still is a big part was LEDs.... Coincidentally my name spelled backwards is LED.

Now that I have finished building my house (of course all LEDs) and shop last September (built same time, like any man should do, haha) and now have the shop cleaned and setup I'm coming to the part of my life where I can build my childhood dream.... A kit car. For better part of last decade I've had my sights on a GTM and now that priorities are out of the way I've been doing a lot of researching lately. I've determined GTM :thumbsdown: is definitely not the kit I want to build. Everything I've read just seems like one huge headache (and 2x amount of time) which thankfully has also led me to the SLC. Upon first look, it's definitely different but had so many cool aspects like the doors, interior and mainly the QUALITY of kit. The more I looked at it, the more I fell in love and can't wait to start it.

My shop is 50'x40'x16' metal building (insulated) with 3 14'x14' roll up doors (2 on front, 1 on rear). When I originally designed the shop the right bay has always dedicated to this project. The other bay I can use for daily driver, bikes or whatever other kind of projects I have going on at the time and likely will get a lift at some point.

Right now I'm thinking stages that way I can start working on it while saving. Any suggestions on ways I may need to setup my SLC bay to accommodate the build? I have 2 4ftx8ft work benches between the bays and I'm sure they'll get alot of use holding parts for most of the build. I haven't fully decided if I'm going to order it stages or complete.

Also one last random question... Anyone happen to have a picture of the Superlite SLC logo? I've looked around and I can't find anything. I definitely plan to design and get some emblems made for my SLC, of course, with Fran's blessing.

I apologize for the long post.... Got carried away a little. I already know everyone is glad to share information and help each other out on the forum. I hope to be able to contribute to things as well and hopefully come up with some modifications of my own to share.

20140903_151737.jpg

20150530_005417.jpg

20150530_005534.jpg

20150530_005719.jpg

20150530_005624.jpg

20150529_231844.jpg

Howard Jones

Supporter
Your shop is perfect. If I had the room you have I would build a temporary rack to house the front and rear clip from time to time. I always seam to be taking them off and leaning them against the wall. I have also considered a rolling stand up rack of some kind for them to stand on end vertically.

Your shop is plenty high so maybe mount a lift point in the right place so that you can hoist the center section up and out of the way from time to time. The body work will get in the way and it does take up a lot of room.

Other than that you look good to go except I don't see a refrigerator. Your gonna need one of those.

Your shop is perfect. If I had the room you have I would build a temporary rack to house the front and rear clip from time to time. I always seam to be taking them off and leaning them against the wall. I have also considered a rolling stand up rack of some kind for them to stand on end vertically.

Your shop is plenty high so maybe mount a lift point in the right place so that you can hoist the center section up and out of the way from time to time. The body work will get in the way and it does take up a lot of room.

Other than that you look good to go except I don't see a refrigerator. Your gonna need one of those.

Great point, I was curious how often they come off too. I'm sure even once it's done, I'll still be playing with it... That's half the fun outside driving it. :) You are correct sir, no fridge and that's next on the list other than to finish and paint the drywall in the bathroom and office. Just waiting to find a good deal on a used one, I have place waiting for it. :)

You think It'd be ideal, least for front and rear, to mount some pullies and just yank them up and out of the way as needed instead of a rolling rack? Maybe do something similar with the center with 2 pulleys... Just thinking outloud.

Basic Needs: Refer, Sound System, Big Screen.
Great Shop! I'll have all my projects over shortly :)

I made the 4x8 tables you show, although mine are on wheels so I can get them to the location they are needed (or out of the way) easily. They are great for fiberglass part production.

Very nice intro - Welcome to the clubhouse.

Congrats Del!
I agree that putting your benches on wheels will help a bunch. You will have to move them around, period.
Finding a place for both front & rear clips is VERY helpful.

Have fun!

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Nice shop! I'm building mine in a 2 car garage, so I think you'll have enough room.

Thanks for the welcomes!

- Sound system I installed couple weeks ago, so nice to have tunes
- TV (only 32") will be in office, along with a computer connected to my network. Likely be years end I'll find a good deal on a bigger one. I ran coax and CAT6 to the office so I will have DirecTV in the shop. Thinking if a bigger TV, I may hang on outside office. Several bikes I actually built in my living room of old house, so sort of comforting to have a TV on vs music.
- Reefer.. I'd love to be able to check that off, but job prohibits that sort of fun. Ahhh, the good times!

I actually had planned on putting casters on those middle benches when I built them, but afterwards they're so massive I don't "think" I'll be moving them much. I do plan to built a 6th, smaller bench with casters for just what ya'll have suggested. Make it easy to roll around parts/tools. I also have kicked around building two 30" deep ones (like on opposite side of shop) that will go where my wife's pink kayak is now, specifically for parts. Just need to get the chassis in first and make sure I have plenty of room around it. Tops are MDF, thinking I need to seal or laminate the middle ones so I can cut and put dirty oily/wet parts on them.

BTW that 3rd shorter bench between the bays is for the office once I finish inside it.

Anyone have a guesstimate on what sort of dimensions (including car with body) are ideal for SLC working area? If I can get a feel for it, I may can go ahead and build some benches on that side.

Here was my preliminary floor plan I drew right after shop was built. I've changed table sizes and outlet heights as needed so everything was more ideal. Reminds me, I need to update it just because.

Shop%20Plan.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
The way i do it:
I cover my benches with horse stall-mat material. It is a 3/4" thick sheet of solid rubber made from recycled car tires. New ones, purchased at a farm & ranch store, make a nice smooth surface that can't scratch your parts. Not very expensive considering it lasts forever. It seems like I paid a couple of dollars a square foot. You buy it in big sheets and cut it to shape with a saber saw. If you want a rounded edge you can float an angle grinder over it to feather out the edge. Of you need a cut-out, like for your drill press mounting, it is easy to do. You can drill it, pound on it, and wrench on it and not destroy it. I also keep some small pieces around the shop to put under things I am drilling through and to put under parts on the concrete floor. I have a very large compressor that provides air to all of my garages, and I used it as a cushion under the feet. My Baldhead cabinets came with butcher-block counter tops, (overkill) which I immediately covered with thick rubber. I made some workbenches using Gorilla Racks from Costco, covered by stall-mats, about fifteen years ago and they still look awesome. Quality of the mats may vary, so if you don't like what you see, shop around.
It works for me, might work for you.
David

Your shop looks amazing and huge.

Do you have a lift? If not when you put it in the shop I suggest you try to put it in the middle. I have a two post one that is 8000lb and works great. After getting one I would never have a shop without one as it makes life that much better. After using mine you really will want to have at least a 10' area on each side of the lift to work if possible. You will want that behind and front to pull engines and pull the clam and things like that. This gives you a lot of room to wonder around and do things as it will get crammed pretty quick. I have a 40x30 shop with 3 bays, 1 bay a machine shop area and can put a car in if needed, the next is just a work on car bay and last is the lift. I wish I had more room around the lift now as it would make life a lot nicer.

Maybe a pulley system to lift the body on and off by yourself, unless you have a bunch of people to help. Myself, I ask my wife to help and she gives me that look and asks, please tell me you do not want to me help bleed the brakes on the race car again. (no baby, that is all done so not worries, I just need to bleed the clutch today. ) haha, but true story.

On that note I made a brake fluid pressure system from a hand pump from lowes sprayer. I had an extra brake reserve cap and just put the fittings on. It saves time when bleeding the brakes and much less complaining from the wife, that is for sure.

I also like a smallish roll around table (The $50-100 ones from harbor freight are fine). You can put a bunch of the tools you will be working with and it follows you around where you go and you can put things on it. It will save you hundreds of hours of time in the long wrong trying to walk and search for that tool you just put down and forgot where.

I also pretty much always have an LED light on a cord follow me around and sit close to me. Even with a ton of light under and around things I never seem to have enough light.

This is just me, but I like to have 3-5 4-1/2 angle grinders with different things in them. One a cutting wheel, another 36 grit sanding disc, another 120+ grit sanding disc, one a wire wheel. This sames so much time swapping them out. I just got 3 more from harbor freight for $10 each.

Man, everyone is full of fantastic ideas! All of them, I never considered but make perfect sense. Since I've never had my own place to work, these suggestions are great! This board is awesome, making me even more excited. I had half a full kit in savings before we built, but after moving into the house and the shop didn't have power or lights I had to dip into it. As you can see in the pics, the busa is apart and I'm cleaning the Plasti-Dip off of all the nooks. Once it's back together, it'll go up for sale I'm be able to put my order in and purchase several stages and get this party started.

@Dr. David I really dig your idea for the work bench tops. I'm pretty sure the little town I live in has a feed store, so I'll be doing that really soon! Did you glue down the mat to keep it in place?

@Troy Truglio That's a ton of valid points. I got friends and family that would help, but they're all ~30min away and I hate asking for help unless I really need it. Pulley system in a must I believe. I think I'll get some chalk and outline the SLC and determine where I was to install some pulleys, then rent a scissor lift for a day and get it all installed.
Funny you say that about the HF roll around table. I've been kicking that idea around instead of building one. Haven't decided yet, but good to hear they work good.
I agree about the lift, it'll spoil you. I've always wanted and needed one, now that I can I'll be doing it at some point to make life easier. I'll likely put it by the door where the mower and fiddy are now. That way I can still use the main bay for random projects on whatever.
Spot on for you can never have enough light. That's one thing I didn't skimp on for the shop, least above head lighting. I need to get a couple LED handhelds for underneath things. Always great to have light from multiple angles with taking something apart underneath a vehicle. One of those things I've always wished I had at the time and never did.
I like your idea on grinders, makes perfect sense and don't have to go grab some pliers to change discs. Seems I always need the disc that's not on it when I do something, lol.

I know how much time to expect to build this beast.... But realistically how long has it taken everyone or do you expect it to finish assuming money isn't a factor (even though it will be with my build)

Anyone have a Superlite SLC logo? I can't find one on the site and want to Photoshop a background for my computer.

My old workshop. This was a few months before I got married. Bike stayed parked in living room till day I moved, had no garage and didn't live in the best neighborhood to leave outside.
SNC18635.jpg

SNC18641.jpg

Bike when stock and after I finished (Plasti-Dip was a couple years later, but rest of bike never changed other than mileage)
SNC17450.jpg

IMG_8385.jpg

IMG_8418.jpg

Howard Jones

Supporter
I am planning my new shop in Texas as we speak. Tell me about your lighting. I am interested in a all LED system. Can you point me towards a model.

Also what is the wall height and what is the peak of the ceiling height in your shop.

About the time necessary to build a home built car...................... I can only be honest on this one. There is no good answer to that, but I'll try. Assume you work on the car 3 week days and one weekend day per week. 3 hours a weekday and 6 hours a weekend day. 15 Hours a week. Things happen so lets go with 50 weeks a year. That's 750 hours.

For me that's no where near enough. BUT!!!!! I like to change a lot of stuff and I try to do everything myself. If I just put it together I "ME" could do a pretty good job in a year. The problems is "YOU" will want to change things more than likely and then the "thinking" time gets added to the "find it" time and the "make it" time and before you know it you have added another year to the build time.

Farming out things can save time if they do the work on time. Here's one practical solution. Buy a crate motor complete with electronics, exhaust, water pump, oil system, and the rest of the engine package from ONE supplier. Tell him the reason you went to him was you want it all to work together the first time.

Study the option of a electric water pump. I would do it that way if I had it to do over. Davies Craig electric pumps seam to be the state of the art.

Then do the rest of the powertrain, clutch, gearbox, shift system, CV joints, etc. from another single supplier with the same goal. It all will work together the first time.

All I can say is go out there and do something damn near everyday. Then when you run out of stuff to do it's done.

All in all the car will take a couple of years...............+ or - a year or two.

If you look at my build log you will see that I got the car on 3-5-09................ The bodywork is at the paint shop now and then it will need to go back together. That will take a month or so. So call it 6 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn that's two years faster that my GT40. I hauled ass on this one.

Last edited:
That makes perfect sense, I was thinking a couple years off the top of my head and I know it's hard to figure because we all have family and life outside the build. I'm like you and fully plan to do all the work myself, outside of paint (and likely body work). As of now, I plan to wrap it so it's easy to change colors as time go on.

There is no doubt I'll make it my own. Likely few minor exterior items, but most of my time will be spent on the electrical/electronics and interior. I'm sure I'll go off on some tangents throughout the build on ideas that may or may not work out.

My eve's are 16ft and I believe the peak is ~21ft (off memory, I know i went with the least steep roof line). I can find my building drawings if you'd like to get you an exact figure on total height?

I'm glad to give some advice/opinion on lighting. While my house (interior & exterior) is 100% LEDs, I did not choose to do the same for the shop. I don't have full faith in the throw (of light) from the LEDs would give me enough light being 16ft in the air. For something like a garage fixture, LEDs are fine. I went with 6 florescent fixtures, each fixture has 6-54w 5000K bulbs. Like I said I didn't skimp on lighting, I wanted more than I could imagine and with these fixtures I got it. Best way to describe it, it's stupid bright. There's zero dark spots in any area of the shop. The specs on these fixtures call for them be 15ft-30ft (if memory serves me right) high for best performance. I also didn't hard wire them, I put plugs on the end because I wasn't sure if I was going to leave at 16ft or go higher, but they're perfect. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't change a thing! :)

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/93838/BSS-HB6T5.html
https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/2382/FHO-54T5850ECOG.html

Last edited:
@Dr. David

Do you recall what thickness of the stall mat did you end up with? Wish you'd gone thinner or thicker?

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Stall Mats:
I used 3/4". Seems about right for counter-tops. No need to glue or screw it down, as it is heavy enough to stay in place. The bottom side is rough and the top side smooth and finished. You may need a friend or two to help move it around when it is in large sheets.
David

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make some of these. Wheels at McMaster Carr. Use cheap low capacity wheels. 150-200lbs will be good enough. Great when working alone and if you get 6 inch wheels and put them on 2 inches of wood you will be able to work underneath.

Attachments

• HPIM0613.JPG
    HPIM0613.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 310
  • HPIM0614.JPG
    HPIM0614.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 289
3/4" mats it is! Thanks for the reply!

Those kneeling pads I could see making life easier. I keep a big broke down box to put on concrete to stay cleaner. So far shop stays clean, but concrete dust I just can't get around. Could use these to kneel or sit on, thanks!

I was curious about if you need to move car around solo and more so you gain some clearance when building. Beats heck out of jack and jack stands constantly!

Hi Del
I have a badge design that I made for Peter and Stu's cars. It goes in the center area above the rear bumper.
If you can PM me I will send you the DXFs or cad files if you can open them.
If needed you could design your own and send me a 3D (IGES or STEP) of what you want and I could make and send to you.

Craig Young

Attachments

• DSCF4600c.jpg
    DSCF4600c.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF4481 (2).JPG
    DSCF4481 (2).JPG
    284.3 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCF4421c.jpg
    DSCF4421c.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 261
Hi Del
I have a badge design that I made for Peter and Stu's cars. It goes in the center area above the rear bumper.
If you can PM me I will send you the DXFs or cad files if you can open them.
If needed you could design your own and send me a 3D (IGES or STEP) of what you want and I could make and send to you.

Craig Young

That's awesome looking! I'd love to have the CAD files, definitely can open them. I can draw in 3D a little bit, looks like I'll need to sharpen my skills and see what I can come up with! Thank you!

Back