Graziano oil temp?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
How hot is too hot for the transaxle oil? I plumbed one of the fluid temp sensors that came with the KOSO gauge into the cooler bypass line on my Graziano. The KOSO gauge allows you to set a temp where the warning light flashes. What is a good temp to set the warning light for?

API Service Class: GL 5+
Viscosity Grade: SAE 80W140
Vis @ 100°C, cSt: 26
Vis @ 40°C, cSt: 231
Viscosity Index: 144
Brookfield Viscosity,
Poise: 500 @ -26°C
Pour Point, °C: -40
Pour Point, °F: -40
Flash Point, °C: 224
Flash Point, °F: 435

I talked with a friend that sets up race cars, he said he would want the sensor at 220 F because the oil will start to break down 230-240 F.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Al I have a gauge in my R21 Renault gearbox in my GT40. I have never seen grbx oil temps above 150F even during 30 min track sessions with air temp above 105F. On the street the gauge that reads to a low temp of 120F barely comes off the peg even after a couple of hours of highway driving. I have a Quaife so they run cooler than friction type LSD's but in a straight line or long roadrace type corners not a lot hotter.

I think that I would set mine to a relative low temp so that it would warn of a oil loss that resulted in a high temp spike before all the oil ran out.

In any case run the car and see what the normal running temp is. Then set the warning 20-25% above that as a default setting. You can always refine your setting later.

As far as the oil goes it will be fine and recover after a temp spike up to about 250F or so. The internals of your grbx will be undamaged as long as the oil isn't. IMHO if gear oil temps get to 200F let alone 250F then something is BAD$$$$$$$ wrong.

Interesting search results.

Torco Gear Oil 101

FAQ: Manual Transmission Fluid Basics

Tech Tips | Pantera Parts Connection | Carson City Nevada

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Ok, thanks guys. I think I'll set it at 200F for now. I'm not really concerned about it on the street, but if I ever get to the track, then it's something I'd want to watch as I'm not running a cooler.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Did my first 100+ mile drive today. The fluid temp on the Graziano was 202F when I got home. Is that too high? :huh:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
I don't have a cooler as Fran said it wasn't necessary for a street car. I think I'll up my alarm to 220 and keep an eye on it.

John B, are you running a trans cooler with your car? I'm wondering what your experience has been with trans temps on track.

thanks

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Out at COTA today in a friend's Corvette-based race car and thought of this thread. He has a cooler and pump, has seen as high as 300 degrees on hotter days. Definitely not a good thing, and some changes with the trans cooling system coming - but no worries in the 220 area.

Hi Mark - yes, I have a cooler going in mine

Question. As far as temperature sensors go, is the heat reading the same from sensor to sensor. In other words if a single temp gauge was connected to both engine and the Graz via a toggle, do you think it would read the temperature of each accurately?

What sensor does the Graz use?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Dan, the Graz doesn't have a sensor, you have to add one if you want one. I used one of the KOSO temperature sensors and placed it in the cooler bypass hose.

Thanks Pete

Guess I would have to ask Speedhut what type of signal input their gauge reads and adapt it if it doesn't read the Koso sender. Think I will wire it up for a future mod.

Back