Notices

The SLC Clubhouse RCR SLC Build Logs and Technical Questions

Old 2nd April 2018, 08:57 PM   #501
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: GT-R
Re: Mark's GT-R Build

But I have a question. Should I plan on sanding, priming and painting the splitter, or should I polish and wax the gel coat and leave the surface unpainted? I am planning on using bed liner paint on the under side of the splitter since I know I will be repairing it, since the car is a street car.

Any suggestions on which way to go for the top side of the splitter?
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5502-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5504-jpg  
mksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 10:24 AM   #502
fatbob
Rookie
United States

GT40: H Craft GT-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksetter View Post
But I have a question. Should I plan on sanding, priming and painting the splitter, or should I polish and wax the gel coat and leave the surface unpainted? I am planning on using bed liner paint on the under side of the splitter since I know I will be repairing it, since the car is a street car.

Any suggestions on which way to go for the top side of the splitter?
If you mean by painting the same as the body color my opinion is I prefer it dark or black to compliment some other accents you might have on the car. I avoided having a carbon splitter for the reasons you state regarding it being a street car. I know I will bash mine up. The carbon splitter does look nice but not practical on a car with 3" of clearance on PA roads.
fatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2018, 12:59 PM   #503
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

I decided to polish the gel coat on the top half of the splitter rather than paint it black. I am using truck bed liner on the underside. Originally I was concerned that the gel coat black would not match the black used in powder coating the rear diffuser, but I will use the splitter black as the color chip for the rear. Using bed liner makes the inevitable repairs to the splitter easier. I have the first coat of bed liner sprayed and it looks really good.
Old 20th April 2018, 10:56 PM   #504
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

I am back in the shop and had the help of my good friend, Dr. Jim Fraser, a master car builder from Michigan for a few days. I was able to add body filler to the under side of the splitter to get a smooth junction going from the splitter to the floor pan, then taped off the under half of the splitter and painted the under side with truck bed liner. The upper half I buffed and polished the gel coat as a final finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5532-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5533-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5534-jpg  
Old 20th April 2018, 11:05 PM   #505
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

I had to remove inches from the body above the splitter to get the stance I was after and get the clearance needed for a street car. This also meant removing the same amount from the aluminum body supports. When it came time to mount the splitter, the fiberglass "bracket" used to connect the splitter to the body that was provided with the car was no longer useful. The vertical body section below the "snout" ended up being 7/8 of an inch and the fiberglass bracket was 3 inches. As a result, we made some aluminum brackets to provide that connection. The best body alignment was achieved when we were able to put a little tension on the body panel just ahead of the wheel well and these brackets were able to maintain that subtle pressure on the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5519-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5520-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5521-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5528-jpg  
Old 20th April 2018, 11:08 PM   #506
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

With the splitter mounted, the body profile looks much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5526-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5527-jpg  
Old 20th April 2018, 11:16 PM   #507
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

Now we can finally re-mount the radiator and the AC condenser. With the splitter now inches above it's previous position, the radiator was repositioned with an increased angle but we were able to get a close fit to both the splitter on the bottom and the front clam on the top. It ended up with the radiator having a 45 degree angle to the splitter providing the best fit. We had to remount a few items in the front, like one of the horns, but overall the area looks very similar to the way I had it before the front end modification.

In looking back, I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND this area be addressed as one of the first items in a GT-R build. Although there is a great deal of work to modify this area. it would have been much easier to do this before putting items in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5523-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5524-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5522-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5535-jpg