Go Back   GT40s.com > > >

Notices

The SLC Clubhouse RCR SLC Build Logs and Technical Questions

Old 18th June 2018, 02:05 AM   #521
A Tenth
United States

GT40: None
Re: Mark's GT-R Build

Mark I agree with Jared the roads in Pa suck so there will be repairs from time to time and yes this will be the first mod among many once my car arrives the end of Aug per Fran keep your fingers crossed Jared needs a crushing partner
lkishel@wmjdonovan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2018, 12:14 PM   #522
A Tenth
United States

GT40: None

Mark can you send me the order numbers on the Raptor Steering Wheel and Quick release you used for your car it's the same one I would like to use.
Larry
lkishel@wmjdonovan.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 09:01 PM   #523
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

GT40: GT-R

Hi Larry:

My steering wheel is a Momo Eagle with leather wrap. They are available at many outlets. I love the steering wheel on my Ferrari 458 and I chose this Momo Eagle because of the molded hand positions and it is the closest wheel I could find to the Ferrari steering wheel.

As for the quick release hub, I would refer you to the locations on the forum I got my information. First is the build wiki. It has a whole section on steering wheels and adapters. Also, there is a thread in the SLC Clubhouse on NRG quick release hub part numbers, dated 12/29/16. It is worth a look.

I have an Olds steering column, so my NRG adapter is SRK 170H. I stated in the thread above that I could not get it to fit, but I was later able to get it all to work.

Finally, I added the Summit Raptor Pro wireless switching system to the steering wheel. It is a bit pricey, but really cool and saves you on ordering other switches you will need in the cockpit.

Hope this helps.
mksetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2018, 09:39 PM   #524
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

I am finally back in the shop doing some building! Today it is time to attack the door seals. Superlite cars used for track only may not need to pay attention to this, but street cars need to have weather stripping and as much of an air tight cockpit as possible.

The GT-R has a great area for weather stripping in the spider, along the "A" pillar. around the top of the door and along the back of the door. The front edge of the door has no seal, and the seal along the rocker panel is present, but less than what I want. There is a wide open area for air and water to enter the cockpit. Also, the area in front of the door when the door is open is UGLY.

To get started, I had to create a smooth surface for 1" x 2" aluminum rectangular tubing to make up the front edge of the new door seal. The welding bead rising up from the adjacent surface would limit the seating of the tubing.

A 1" x 2" rectangular tube was cut to fit, then had to have a finish put on the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5800-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5799-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5801-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5802-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5803-jpg  

Old 25th June 2018, 09:45 PM   #525
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

With this piece in place, I now have the forward surface available for weather seal. It also really cleaned up the appearance of the area. With the door closed, the new piece has a really nice fit relative to the front of the door, with enough room for weather stripping. From the other side you can see how much space was filled with this piece.

Although this has improved the surface available for weather stripping, adding an angle piece will greatly improve the seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5804-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5805-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5806-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5807-jpg  
Old 25th June 2018, 09:57 PM   #526
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

Using angle stock cut to fit, I was able to line up with the "A" pillar and the rocker panel.

I needed to use 1.5" screws to mount all of this, and sometimes I had some difficulty getting the screws to line up with the threaded holes, given the depth of the stock I was going through. I could either enlarge the holes, which can make for loose pieces later, or I could taper the ends of the screws.

I elected the second choice. I used a grinder to taper the ends of the screws, then re-tapped the threads.

Without the tapered screws, I could not, for the life of me, get this last screw to grab threads. The tapered screws went right in.

With the angled stock in place, it looks good and has great surfaces for weather stripping.

I did the same thing on the other side. A future time I will develop the door seal along the under side of the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's GT-R Build-img_5810-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5815-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5816-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5817-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5818-jpg  

Mark's GT-R Build-img_5819-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5808-jpg   Mark's GT-R Build-img_5809-jpg  
Old 25th June 2018, 10:08 PM   #527
mksetter
Silver Supporter
United States

While I was on the Power Tour, I had the chance to talk to a lot of car builders about wiring a custom car. Although the cars are different and the details are different, most builders used Ron Francis Wiring or Painless Wiring components. I am sure the Infinity System is a great choice and provides options that may not be available with some of these other wiring systems. My problem is that I don't understand the system and I am having trouble making it look neat and organized, like I want it.

I saw the wiring H did and I was blown away!!! I may not be able to get it as good as he has it, but I want to get it better than I have it.

Also, I anticipate that I may have problems trouble shooting the Infinity System should a problem arise. I kind of view the system as having VooDoo boxes that perform the magic.

Again, I know Fran uses the best components he can find and the Infinity System certainly can make it easier to build. All that being said....

I have decided to remove the Infinity System and re-wire the car using Ron Francis Wiring Components. They were exhibiting at the Power Tour so I had a chance to speak with their knowledgeable staff and got the stuff ordered. Should be here soon, then I will attack the wiring system again.