Windshield

I have hit a roadblock in my build and I need some help (and hopefully some pictures) of how your windshield fits before its final placement and after.

For me, I have had to spread the body at the at the A pillars (where they meet the dash) 1/2" per side. This causes other fit problems with the body, but my biggest concern is all the tension that it creates. According to what I've read, this is a normal adjustment. Even with that, and several adjustments to the fiberglass frame, my windshield still does not sit flush. And, if it were to placed with urethane, it would raise it even more. The result would be not up to what I expect. Again, how do your windshields fit when you feel they are ready for permanent placement, and after final placement? Do you have to do a lot of body work to make the windshield have a smooth flow with the body?

Maybe I'm shooting for an unattainable result.
Howard, or Rob, you live in my general area, would you be OK if I came by to see your cars?

Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciated, especially during this frustrating time.

Thank you to all who make this forum such a great asset to other builders.

Bill, I was going to install my windshield, I dry fitted it and was a little baffled as to what I should do. The sides did not fit. I considered shimming the body but that messed up the door fit. I found a good professional auto glass guy. He used a black windshield adhesive and it just looks like the rubber is a little thicker in those areas. Nobody has ever taken notice of it and I think it looks great. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• windshield 001.JPG
    windshield 001.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 317
  • windshield 002.JPG
    windshield 002.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 291
  • windshield 003.JPG
    windshield 003.JPG
    307.9 KB · Views: 303
Pete, thank you for the referral post. I have read that several times and used the information to set my windshield. However, I still don't feel that the fit is good enough. With pictures from other builders I can establish whether my current result is as good as its going to get, or that my expectations are to high and I need to stop where I am.

Al, thank you for the pictures as it starts to make me think that my expectations are to high. Your windshield looks like a factory installation. I am totally unfamiliar with the process of the final install from the professional installer. Your pictures gave me some confidence in that I'm going in the correct direction.

Please keep the responses coming,
Thank you,
Bill

You're on the right track Bill. I realized on mine the flanges themselves were what was holding the glass out, as well as the width of the body being too narrow. Here's how I solved it:

Windshield fit

Go down to post #86

A.J.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Bill, you are welcome to come by anytime you like. Pm me for Ph# and address. I used a Lexan windshield on my car. I do have a OEM glass windshield but it would never fit to what I would like with out a complete refit of the entire body, doors, center section.

Ears at lower rear corners are visually deformed and flare out about a 1/8" beyond the generally out of shape lower corners. I would have a gap of more than 3/8" per side. Otherwise no cracks or blemishes.

It might fit a car with the stretched out A pillar mod. I would let it go for 50% off OEM cost or trade of another Lexan windhield. Local buyer could trial fit it first if he wants to do the driving.

I am interested in that windshield Howard. Mine has a weird delamination problem at the corner and am readjusting the entire body anyways.

Back