Troy's 5 year Build

So here we go with some background info and then into it. First, this is going to be a slow build as I have time here and there to do things and will go weeks without. I have had my car for 3 years now and I am just starting to do it now if that gives you any indication of my speed as of late to finish up other projects. I ordered my kit and then two weeks later I found out my 2nd kid was on the way. My time for it went away and have had a lot of and now that he is almost 3 time is starting to come back to me, plus I have had a lot of other project. What really takes up almost all my free car project time is the race car and team, McKibbin's Biohazard Racing, running the team, building the car, etc. I am addicted to the entire process of building a car and races so that took priority for a while. I also wanted to finish my MR2Mini project car, blog here MR2 Mini

OK, now that is out of the way let me share some thoughts on my SLC and where I plan on going.

Engine- I have changed my mind 5 times on the engine now and yes I know, I have issues. I started out with a twin turbo Toyota 3MZFE and planned to make 500-600hp with it, but I changed my mind from this as I wanted at least a V8 sound, yet I still think that a V6TT with a light engine, more forward location would be a great engine in an SLC. I then went the standard LS3-480 variant and ordered my car to that. I then had the crazy idea of a flat plane crank LS3 that would be destroked to 5.0L and rev like crazy. I got the design done and ran out of time to do it and money (I still might someday as I have the hard parts). I then wanted to go with a S85 BMW V10, but after cost and complexity of that engine I said no to that also, yet the V10 is my favorite engine sound. Now I am back to what I know and using a 1uzfe and will twin turbo it. From a cost perspective and hp it is the cheapest for the most. The engine is so over built that we can buy a junkyard one for $400-500, put it in, run 11psi of boost (my plan) and get around 450-500rwhp out of it. I will be using a MS3Pro to control it with a custom intake manifold to fit the SLC and ID 1000cc injectors. I also will use T3/T4 turbos, twin air to air intercoolers and AIM meth injection to help. I have different stages I am calling it and this is stage I and will rev to 7,000rpm. Stage II will be a build bottom end with con rods and pistons at 9.5 c/r to turn the boost a bit to 15psiand maybe 500-550rwhp. Stage III is build heads with cams, porting and polishing, valve springs, shimless buckets and rev to 9,000-10,000 and this would be in the 600-700rwhp range depending on how much I turn up the boost. Stage IV is to upgrade to EFR turbos.

Trans- I had a G50/20 LSD 6speed and was going to use that, but changed my mind with my big splurge item and got a Quafe full sequential LSD 6speed box. I am a motorcycle guy at heart and really like the idea of a full sequential box. This blew my budget and used up my money. Cost was like $14K for it and then I got a custom flywheel from AASCO with a Tilton twin disc clutch and release bearing for about 2K.

Wheels- Currently I have Vette grand sport 5 spoke wheels and I ponder different wheels all the time so time will tell on that.

Body- I plan on doing a few things with the body as I am inspired by all the work done from the guys on the board. I got different front head lights that I think will look great when done, like Fling did. I got a set of C7 tailights and will redo the rear end to make it all one flowing piece. I am not sure where the exhaust will exit yet as I have to see when done. I plan to make the side scoops much larger for the intercooler and thinking something like the Mclearon 675 sides or something like that. I also plan to remove the roof scoop and smooth that transition to not have a hump on the roof. I want a smooth roof and will be way different with that for sure and I think the lines on the car will flow better this way. Side mirrors I am undecided on at this point. Color will be 2014 Caterham F1 green.

Interior- I plan to make my own dash and console area and will make a buck and mold and then do CF. I got the CF interior kit and will go off that a theme for it. Seats, I have tired a bunch and think I will go with the stock seats and have them redone to make nice as the others I have gotten just do not really work well. I plan on adding a radio, amp, speakers, etc, but we will see when done what it looks like. I am also going to use gauges Speed Revolution Gauges.

Here we go.

Here is the basic engine and trans bolted together to make sure it fits.
blogger-image--232169460.jpg

The stock engine comes with a power steering and I had to make a pulley there to get the correct belt location. A little bit of time on the lathe and I used a stock 1uzfe pulley from the center. Having a pick a part with 2 LS400 and 2 SC400 is nice locally.
blogger-image--1461583210.jpg

I finally moved the car out of my wife's garage to my shop and she is so happy to her garage back. I put the engine and trans in for fitment. There is not a of room there for sure.
blogger-image--1969499646.jpg

I had to work on making and engine mount for it and basically went off of what Fran sent with the kit as that design works.

blogger-image-714121512.jpg

The next few things to do is work on the intake manifold. I was going to go ITB like Scott, but I do not want to have a hump back there and want a smooth transition, yet the ITB TT clear top is super sexy. I have to cut the rear window opening in my clam and then see what will fit best. Right now I am leaning towards having the TB go forward and sit right up under the body and then a Y adapter to go to the intercoolers. I think the benefits are fitment height and keeping the intercooler lines away from the exhaust as much as possible will be best. There is not a ton of room to work, but we can make it work.

I have a race this weekend at PIRC, next weekend in Canada Mosport and in 4 weeks at AMP. So very busy times, but in the winter I should have more time to really get on this.

Troymx576;479982 Body- I plan on doing a few things with the body as I am inspired by all the work done from the guys on the board. I got different front head lights that I think will look great when done said:
Dude,, get out of my head...lol

Okay,, you actually are planning a few things similar to what I am doing.

1. I am doing a custom dashboard. I'd say I was about 35% done. This weekend I'm claying in the center part of the dash to make a fiberglass mold out of.

The gauge cluster hood is off a 2011 Subaru Impreza that I glassed in. I am using the original center console, as I was going to make my own, but it just turned out to be a bit of work, and was just as easy to modify the existing one.

I actually cut it down quite a bit, I also am in the middle of modifying the frame slightly. I cut out a large notch in the center beam for the shifter. I'm going to have a welder brace/reinforce things back up. The end result though, is a shifter that is a lot lower (more like it is with production cars) In fact, the center console now only comes off the floorboard about 8.5".

I also would like to get rid of the roof scoop. It makes things look a bit too round, and accentuates the "bubble". If you take it off and flatten it a bit, I think it would make it look a little more square.

I am going to replace the front headlights with ones off a Celica. They actually do match the front lines/contours of the car. I'm having a body guy do this, as it will have to be perfect, and I'm not at that level of fiberglass work to make it look like there was never any changes made.

view

For the tail lights, I was actually thinking of using the inside tail lights of an Acura TLC,, but in a different orientation. Look up 2015,, and image them swapped (left with right).

acura-tlx-v6-paws-tail-lamps.jpg

I do like those tailights. If the car turns out half as good in real life as me head I will be happy. I also think the roof bulb hump takes away from the lines of the car and think it will look much better without it. My other thought was to make it larger, but nah. I was thinking I would be the only one with a flat roof.

My first goal is to get it running over the winter. Then next year I can do the body and interior as I have time. I should scale back on racing,but I am so addicted to it I have trouble saying no.

I am always debating the color. I am thinking green with white stripes, but not sure how. I do like the Mcleran P1 in this pic. Now on my schedule it will be years before that is decided and countless mind changes.
p1hero.jpg

04-mclaren-p1-gtr-geneva-1.jpg

BTW- If I have stolen and idea from you it is because it was a great idea and I take ideas as I see them. I just hope I can come up with some ideas myself that someone will steel someday.

Quick question. I am going to cut out for the plexi clam window now. How to decide how much to leave on the edge for the window? I have seen what looks like 3-4", but I was thinking 1-2" as I would rather have the viewing of the engine and all larger.

Thoughts?

I would have liked to have tried to do the upper rear scoops like on this Ferrari but I don't think it would be possible, not sure how they would have done it either but they do look cool.

Attachments

• Ferrari 1.jpg
    Ferrari 1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 442
I started looking into doing something along those lines, problem is with the fuel filler area. You would have to have a big hole in it to access and try to shoot the fuel in from a distance, or, extend filler neck out, which would also be visible from the inside and couldn't open clam.
You would have to start them past the filler neck, which almost puts them too far back.

I just hope I can come up with some ideas myself that someone will steel someday.

I'll step up and steal all of your ideas that I can :shy:

I also have used the rear of the P1 as inspiration. In particular how there's a lot of venting where the tail lights would be, with a thin line around the perimeter that is the actual tail light. The other thing I would love to incorporate is the wing stanchion design and attachment. But that is one of the things I catch myself staring at the car trying to figure out then have to snap myself out of the daze because its too early to try to figure out. A lot has to happen before I even know what I'm going to have to work with back there.

Please don't require body mods for your intercooler setup!! ;) (I'm following Troy's lead on engine design....ok, he's carrying me) I don't know if I'm going to be able to play along if you go advanced like that! :shocked2:

A.J.

I marked a spot on the wall in the shop where I check off each time I put the engine in and out and so far 6 times for the engine mounts. I can only imagine how many more it will be.

Scott- The fuel filler neck did keep popping up in my mind so I will need to put that in and throw the fuel tank in to see how it will fit in there to make sure I have room to do it. I am hoping I can route it somehow around the fuel fill neck to make it all work. It sure looked like a nice big area until I stuffed the V8 and transaxle in there and then it gets small real quick. Do you have a good picture of that area with the fuel filler neck installed so I can I start pondering what it will be like.

In the intercooler setup we will see on mine. I plan some air to air intercoolers and will add meth injection as needed to keep it cool when and if I turn up the boost. I found the renault turbo 5 intercooler was really nice in the size and shape to fit where where need it to and inlet and outlet same side. I am thinking this should work well.
2-25-ALUMINUM-font-b-TURBO-b-font-INTERCOOLER-font-b-RENAULT-b-font-font-b.jpg

The other options are 300zx
300zxss.jpg

Or MR2 Turbo
js1logo_2_1.jpg

I am wanting to sell these. The ones that came with the car. 11"x14" outer dimensions.
If you think they will work for you, just make an offer, I can't use them.

Scott. Maybe, let me take some measurements and see what will work best with how I fit it in there. Right now is race car time as I just got back from last weeks race at PITT and this week at Mosport. Back to back is not fun, uggg.

Nothing all exciting yet, but I am working on a few things and about to install the fuel tank so a question for the ones who have done this.

Where did you get the rubber to isolate the tank? I see it on page 95 of the builders manual, but I do not have this so where do I get it and what size did you use?

A few quick updates on the choices I have made.
1- I did get a super nice Radium surge tank, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and return less system. This is super nice. I will use an inline walbro 190lph pump to feed it. This can handle the hp I want and keep the system very simple with less hoses and complication. It also can free up room for things as needed since twin turbo. I went with the FST-R with the big pump.
fb0c299a-a021-4fe8-a140-249cd94b4508-800.jpg

2- I also decided to go with the Borg Warner EFR twin turbos now instead of waiting until later. This turbo is pretty much the best of the best, super quick spool up, ceramic ball bearing, internal wastegate, BOV recirculating within and integrated boost solenoid included. The main reason is that I do not have to deal with the plumbing of the wastegate and BOV and Dumptube. This is a very compact unit and there is not a ton of room where I am working.
3- I got the MS3 pro with loom already and the injectors, connectors, etc should be here any day.
4- I have wrote a plan of order of things to do after looking over the build manual a few times.
5- I just got some SS 1.5" mandrels to make the coolant pipes and borrowed the bead maker from DOC, thanks again for that.

It should get interesting here very soon.

Nice choices on the fuel pump and turbo ;)

For my fuel tank I used1466N44 from McMaster. It's a hi temp silicone that someone else on the forum recommended. It's peel and stick. I bought 3 rolls, and have used the leftovers elsewhere. Excellent stuff. I used angle aluminum from the big box hardware stores to hold the tank in place. Along the front of the tank I bent plate aluminum strips to match the angle of the tank, yet still fit behind the cover. I thought for sure I had pics in my build log, but I don't. Let me know if you want pics.

A.J.

Troy, curious on using the ms3 and getting gauges to work successfully and integrating to all the other things (e.g. steering column for turn signals etc) Are you still going to use the InfinityBox stuff (rebrand isis)? really curious how you will approach the electronics.

Back