rear view Camera

Hi So has anyone come up with a good system for a rear view camera ?
I've been trying to connect to a tablet but no luck so far. Ive seen it done but can't seem to get it working ?
Cheers,
Grant

I originally planned to use a tablet, and got it working. However, the fussiness, and latency delay were ultimately too much to tolerate, so I went to a traditional hardwired camera with a monitor.

The quality was better with the tablet, as the LCDs are far higher quality compared to the typical touchscreen monitor. But unless you go through the effort of rooting the tablet, using a car-specific ROM, a standalone powered USB hub, and some piddling, it's not going to happen-- unless you use a wireless connection to the tablet.

If you have a dedicated tablet, the wireless solution isn't bad if you can tolerate the latency delay. But the use of a wireless connection means it can't connect to another network at the same time. So trying to use one tablet for a universal solution with GPS, streaming music, or anything that requires network access with a wireless connection for the camera is a no-go.

I do have a system up and running on my SLC. It begins with a regular camera with a 130 degree FOV mounted in the shark fin shown below:

20858853410_46f39a4d9a_o_zpszpbygy0r.jpg

The camera was selected to not have the yellow lines on it that some backup cams do.

It feeds to a monitor mounted in the roof panel that flips down electrically on demand.

The monitor has a touchscreen, and allows me to select either the rear view camera, or a backup camera, as needed. The default is the rear view camera, which I treat as sort of an electronic mirror.

Both inputs are reversed by the monitor, so the picture is true, from the left/right perspective.

Here's a picture of the monitor flipped down, with a choice as to inputs:

IMG_2848_zpskcxoks1o.jpg

Here's a picture with the monitor on, connected to the rear view camera (with a superb view of the back of the garage door):

IMG_2849_zpsxehia6at.jpg

The pictures are washed out by the flash- the contrast is actually pretty good, day or night.

When the monitor is up, it's pretty hidden. Here's a view of the monitor retracted into the roof panel:

IMG_2850_zpshrz9j4ps.jpg

The rear view camera and monitor are powered whenever ignition is on; the backup camera is powered by the reverse switch on the transaxle, but has a special time-delay relay that keeps the backup camera powered for 90 seconds after the car is moved out of reverse. That way the backup view is still available as I make multiple saws at tight turns, moving through first and reverse. :)

With the rear view camera, and the two hippo ear mirrors (each of which has convex glass), I really don't have a blind spot, which is good, because, as all SLC owners know, people like to drive all around your car while they are driving, as they are taking pictures of it. :cry:

Right now mostly what is available is the wifi dongle to connect your tablet to the camera. Seems to work ok in some cases but as mentioned latency delays network connection errors can be annoying. I found this but I have no idea where it is offered for sale and haven't found similar products either. It would charge the tablet while plugged into the dash and offer a direct camera connection by the usb (micro/mini ?). Its the scam not pcam.

Liteon Automotive Crop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI3DeIL8F7s

I have yet to pick up the cameras, but I have two small monitors and will get 2 90degree angle cams. Monitors will be recessed in the roof panel, one for each camera, then aim them in a way that I get a 180degree view. It will be on full time as a full rear view system and for blind spots too.
Mounting will be similar to how Wills is, but two cameras facing at roughly a 45 degree angle to the rear.

I have found rear view mirrors that already have 2 monitors in them that would be a far easier installation though, and may get that instead.

I have found rear view mirrors that already have 2 monitors in them that would be a far easier installation though, and may get that instead.

I wonder how the S-cam one works. It seems to me that they'd need something to allow video to pass in, which implies a new ROM.

Also, they might need some help with their marketing- do they understand what " SCAM" means in English? :) S-Cam! Now that's funny.

I noticed there wasn't a price or a manual to download to check the details, either.

Just looked closer. The two I posted are actually very similar. Looks like the Scam (lol) is just a backup camera using USB, then uses an OTG converter to connect to the phone by microusb the key is their OTG converter is powered so it also charges.

Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Will, I did the same basic setup on my car. However I went with a relative high value camera and a lower cost monitor. So far I am marginally happy with the result. The field of view is real good as is the location of both the camera and the monitor.

The resolution of the monitor is the marginal part and if I do change anything it will be the monitor.

Could you provide a link to your monitor for me? That's assuming you would recommend it.

Thanks

Will, I did the same basic setup on my car. However I went with a relative high value camera and a lower cost monitor. So far I am marginally happy with the result. The field of view is real good as is the location of both the camera and the monitor.

The resolution of the monitor is the marginal part and if I do change anything it will be the monitor.

Could you provide a link to your monitor for me? That's assuming you would recommend it.

Thanks

Hi Howard,

I can't find the exact site, or my receipt from the interior shop that chose it once I gave up on the tablet, but it was a 6.5" touch screen VGA monitor with two inputs, and in open frame. I'm guessing your local custom stereo shop has a line on the series they prefer.

Mine is perfectly adequate, but it isn't HD quality, obviously. My Nexus 7 has much better quality, and if I were doing it again, and could actually make it work well (including charging, video IN, and making a decent frame) I'd go that way. The tablet is much thinner as well. OTOH, the LCD monitor comes right up on power, and doesn't need to boot, or manage battery life, both of which are issues with a tablet.

-Will

Has anybody looked at the Parrot devices?

I will probably give this a shot once I get there...Unless I can find the scam for cheap.

Camera to analog/usb converter (unless camera is already USB), to OTG powered converter, to tablet. The tablets charger would power the OTG and constantly provide power to the tablet in dash. You can make tablet switch to backup app when placed in reverse and providing power to camera.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Degree-Angled-Adapter-Galaxy-Tablet/dp/B00M7X6XNG/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1444431346&sr=1-2&keywords=lava+simulcharge+usb+tl-002+adapter[/ame]

Last edited:
Bunches of dual screen mirrors here.

dual camera mirror screen | eBay

I may go this route since it will make both screens moveable to get a more natural feel that it actually is a regular rear view mirror. Cameras will mount very high (maybe off sides of roof scoop front) and 90 degree. Hopefully it will create an image from 90 degrees to my left, and 90 degrees to my right, behind and beside me.
Will find out soon if that will work.

Last edited:
It is the TView RV808 monitor (which is a 25x8 format that looks more like a rearview mirror) and the Boyo 420 camera. I'm sure better systems will be out in the next year, but that is what I have.

I like this. Well thought and executed with the wide aspect ratio screen and camera placement.

I may end up putting one of these flush with the ceiling so you can't see the top mounts.

97d2860871f3d35e35f6eb0477d3015a_L.jpg

Last edited:
Scott,

That unit is a Tview T1220SV-BK. The screen is 12.2 inches wide and the overall width is 15.1 inches. The screen resolution is 1280 x 480.

That is probably too wide for me; however it does have a better resolution than my monitor (800 x 240). The resolution of the camera would be the limitation now (512 x 480). We need to find a better camera.

Bob Woods

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I understand that camera latency is not tolerable - but aren't you guys obsessing maybe a little when it comes to resolution?
When in your daily driver vehicle - are you trying to read a book or street signs in your rear view mirrors?
I simply want to see objects behind me and to be able to discern them as either being stationary or moving.
For my truck and 40' fifth wheel camper, I bought a wireless backup camera that allows me to see what's going on behind the trailer (50' back).. The camera is part of my GPS package from Garmin. 760LMT is the model number and I think the camera is BC20.
This was taken on a bright sunny day so a bit of screen wash - but certainly tolerable for my needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 366
Back