Door Latches and Locks

Based on how the mechanism works, it appears the door latches supplied with the kit need to be installed with the one marked "R" on the left door and the one marked "L" on the right door.

The two latches are mirror images of each other, so the mounting holes are different.

I'm about to start cutting fiberglass, so if I have this wrong, someone please tell me - otherwise I'll report back once they are in and working (or reconstructive surgery has been performed on the fiberglass) :)

The locks and latches supplied with the kit appear to be salvaged from a used miata and mine look pretty worn. They also don't come with keys. The latest version of the manual shows how to modify the latches to use the integral locks.

Here are some part no's for new Mazda replacement latches and locks (with keys), copied from another post on this forum:

1997 Miata lock cylinders and keys:
(left) N001-76-220E
(right) NA01-76-210E
1997 Miata outside door handles:
(left) NA01-59-410D
(right) NA01-58-410D

Dave,
Unless you are a stickler for originality you may want to look at the Toyota latches and put the door opening mechanism(from a Toyota also) and put it at the front of the door at the base(easier to reach). You will need the rods and a 90 degree swivel to get the rods up to the door mechanism. Much easier to reach instead of having to reach behind you to get to that lever. I have pics if you need to see how it works.
I didn't like the way the cables(wires) had to be done in order to get from the outside handle to the mechanism, so I added a remote alarm/entry system with door poppers. Then the outside handle acts as a way to complete the opening of the door.
Most of the doors require a push from you as well as operating the lever to get it open. Some contorting is necessary. My body doesn't do that very well anymore.

Bill

Bill, are you referring to your GT40? I didn't know you were working on an SLC?

Dave,
Unless you are a stickler for originality you may want to look at the Toyota latches and put the door opening mechanism(from a Toyota also) and put it at the front of the door at the base(easier to reach). You will need the rods and a 90 degree swivel to get the rods up to the door mechanism. Much easier to reach instead of having to reach behind you to get to that lever. I have pics if you need to see how it works.
I didn't like the way the cables(wires) had to be done in order to get from the outside handle to the mechanism, so I added a remote alarm/entry system with door poppers. Then the outside handle acts as a way to complete the opening of the door.
Most of the doors require a push from you as well as operating the lever to get it open. Some contorting is necessary. My body doesn't do that very well anymore.

Bill

Back