How to align Graz 25 spline clutch

what is the secret to aligning the Audi/Volkswagen 25 spline dual clutch during install?

Did it come already aligned.....I wish.

An alignment tool does not seem to be readily available.

what is the secret to aligning the Audi/Volkswagen 25 spline dual clutch during install?

Did it come already aligned.....I wish.

An alignment tool does not seem to be readily available.

Should be already aligned, you can test it by sliding the whole set up on to the trans-axle shaft prior to installing it on the flywheel.
It's a precise fit.

Allan

I am so used to the single disk system with pilot bearing in the crank, that this was foreign (no pun intended). It appeared to be self aligned but wanted to make sure. Thanks

Yes the splines are aligned. If you need a tool to get it centered with the pilot - I have one and will mail it to you if you need it. Not sure if you need it or not, but I was not used to installing a clutch without making sure all was lined up, so I machined one.

If you want my tool, PM me with your address.

You can mail it back when done or mail it to the next guy who needs it.

I also couldn't find an alignment tool. I called the local Audi dealer and asked about it, and the response I got was "we buy all our tools from Snap-On".

So a few days ago I mounted my Graz without an alignment tool. The way I did it may have been overkill, but it worked: Thread #114

A.J.

I'm sending my alignment tool to Dan today. If someone wants it when Dan finishes, let him know. I don't mind if it gets passed around forever - I can always turn another if I need it.

A few minutes of Google-fu shows this clutch alignment tool for the 2009+ Audi R8, which uses the Graziano.

Clutch Alignment Tool - T10097

The picture looks a lot like the one Frank made up, but I can't tell if that is a generic pic, or the actual one.

In any case, the right tool looks like it's available, and inexpensive.

Will. You must gave the golden Google touch. I tried every possible search combination of words and could never get a tool to fit the Audi system. I hate it when Google searches fail to produce....:2thumbsup:

If it is as pictured then it will not fit in the throw out bearing. It also says it is a universal product and may require modifications. But it's cheap enough someone might want to try one out.

I did see somewhere a guy used the input shaft to make a mold and then poured a plastic one that looked just like we are used to seeing available "free" with a domestic clutch. Since it had the splines it would be ideal.

Using the input shaft to make a mold is a great idea. Then there is no question about fit.

Another possible idea might be to draw it up in CAD and have it printed in nylon or a hard plastic. Shapeways even has a store so you could conceivably sell more.

This would be a perfect candidate for 3D printing. Would be far easier than making a mold.

So is the tool actually necessary? Dan, did you try mating the gearbox without one? Allan seems to think it's pre-aligned

This would be a perfect candidate for 3D printing. Would be far easier than making a mold.

So is the tool actually necessary? Dan, did you try mating the gearbox without one? Allan seems to think it's pre-aligned

People have installed them without the tool. But it's easier with one.

You can align the clutch splines with a length of carefully cut sheetmetal if you are patient and careful. But the tool lets you do it in seconds.

Back