Traction Control

Michael Fling

Supporter
I have done a search without much luck...

I have the LS 376 with the GM ECU hooked to a Graz. Can you give me recommendations for traction control systems that might work with this ECU/Engine combo? Also interested if it has launch control?

The traction control on GM cars like the Corvette is implemented in the BCM, which you aren't using in your car. And that is setup for a completely different car anyway, and wouldn't work as intended even if you were to implement it unless you were somehow able to get into the code in the BCM. No one has, as far as I know.

So using TC using the GM ECU/BCM is not a realistic solution.

The now-discontinued Racelogic system was the go-to setup for everyone with a GM ECU, so maybe you could find what you need in NOS somewhere?

If you really want TC and LC, the only practical way to get it is to dump the GM ECU and harness and go with one of the aftermarket ECUs that have it. As you know, Motec is an option, as is FAST, Pectel, Austronic, and others. I think even Megasquirt now has the code for both.

TGhe SLC wiki has an entire page devoted to the topic- did you check that?

Michael Fling

Supporter
I did not check it... my apologies. I am not very trainable as I need to get into a habit to look at that too. The Racelogic system apparently has been discontinued. I was hoping there might be another option other than replacing the ECU. I will look over the WIKI. Thanks...

I think even Megasquirt now has the code for both.

You are correct. I just received my Megasquirt ECU last week. It also says it has a pit lane speed limiter function! Glad I haven't completed my steering wheel, I'll be adding a button for that....

A.J.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
I was headed down Race Logic path up until the point they stopped manufacturing. Plan B was the Holly Dominator ECU with Holly/Davis traction control. However, after I did a little research I discovered that their approach is to compare crankshaft acceleration to a configured threshold. From their site:

"Basically, this Patented system looks for spikes in RPM that are caused by wheel slip. If these spikes are large enough, then a correction is made, reducing the slip."

So it's an open system and it doesn't have a clue what any of the wheels are actually doing. In the end it's the wheels that matter. Modern ECUs have a lot of processing power and software guys are extremely good at algorithms (yeah, I'm a software guy). Since we're talking about a RWD SLC the front wheels provide very good road speed and the rears provide drive speed. So Davis system looks at RPM whereas all of the others that I'm aware of look at all four wheel speeds (and perhaps RPM).

Traction control sits somewhere between improving your lap times to saving your bacon. RPM provides a good idea of what the wheels might actually be doing and Davis Technologies has obviously been very successful with drag racing and truck pulls. However, when it's my bacon in the seat I want those decisions made by a closed system with all of the relevant data.

My plan C is a MoTec system. Hopefully plan D is not needed!

I would not go the Davis route unless I could find someone with a similar setup that would verify it works well. Notice the "Road Race" part of their website has always been empty. They do well on dirt tracks, and many recent rule changes are geared towards catching their customers. But we see 12 to 14 second lap times on our dirt cars. Think of that as 4 corners and two straights in 13 seconds. On a road race track you can eat that same amount of time on one straight. Also, on dirt a fair amount of wheel spin is desired - you just don't want to spin them too fast. A TC that works well in that environment may not deliver what you are looking for in a street/track car.

Given the heafty cost, I'd want a trusted endorsement.

Are people running traction control on the track? I find the TC in my Audi to be overbearing at times causing me frustration when it kicks in and I'm trying to drive the car aggressively. For the street I keep TC on because sometimes my right foot is stupid and it allows me to be stupid. In a straight line when I'm planning to goose it I'll disable TC momentRily then turn it back on. But on the track almost unanimously the Audi guys turn off their TC to its lowest possible setting (not sure if possible to go completely off). I was thinking a quality LSD and a sensible right foot would be all that's necessary on these cars. I can see how launch control would be good for the giggle factor.

Wouldn't stability control be something more desirable for a track car? I imagine those systems would be super $$ since it would have to take wheel slip, yaw, steering wheel angle, and throttle all into account.

Scott

Lifetime Supporter
TC is certainly useful in race situations. During the national championship race (which the 01 car won) there were several people scouting the corners and keeping Ryan, the driver, informed as to how wet they were. After not hearing from Ryan for a bit Fran thought that they had lost radio contact… apparently Ryan was busy driving and changing the slip % on the RaceLogic TC based on what information he received.
<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
My experience with traction control in production cars is that they have a two settings: off and a preset that allows little to no slip. Whatever system you get, find one that enables you to dial in how much slip you want and locate the dial in an accessible location (I’m thinking about putting mine on the steering wheel).<o:p></o:p>

Back