Colins Build Log

The 'kit' has been ordered - expected delivery ~ Jun 15th; the tires bought and shipped to RCR.

I am researching all the things I can do while I wait for delivery:

- Read the manual (again!); read all the build logs (great source of insight into build process); check out Alan's youtube videos (all of which are superb!); review the wiki.
- Plan the fuel and coolant systems.
- Buy parts that aren't supplied with the kit - what bolts, nuts and washers are a must to have on hand at the beginning?
- Clean the garage; organize my tools.
- Stock up on beer.

I also want to hang the spider from the ceiling in my garage. Can someone provide the width of the spider at the base so that I can fab up some rails for support and a hoist?

That's all for now.

Congrats on joining the club!

For the main body, rear width about 75", front width about 71", and the length about 75". It is an important enough piece though, I would really wait until you had it in hand to figure balance point and such.

Thanks guys; Scott I'm just buying the wood and making a preliminary hoist setup to see where it fits in my garage (trying to work around my wife's car!) - will refine it once I get the kit.

Michael Fling

Supporter
Thanks guys; Scott I'm just buying the wood and making a preliminary hoist setup to see where it fits in my garage (trying to work around my wife's car!) - will refine it once I get the kit.

Congrats Colin... pretty cool car. You will enjoy it.

Before you remove the spyder from the body, reference the width both front and rear. When you place the spyder on the horizontal supports, be sure the body is secured/fixed to the supports with that same width. That will ensure the body doesn't deform as it sits.

FYI, but you may already know from the build blogs........ McMaster Carr has never failed to have any fastner I need. Grainger as well but seems to be a tad more expensive. Enjoy the challenge.....

FYI, but you may already know from the build blogs........ McMaster Carr has never failed to have any fastner I need. Grainger as well but seems to be a tad more expensive. Enjoy the challenge.....

My experience.... always buy more than you think you need. Because....

DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!!!

You'll always need more.

Also, watch Allan's and mine vijjeos.

Planning where to store the body parts - how heavy are the 3 main pieces - front clam, main body (without windscreen) and rear clam individually? Are they easy enough to move around by 2 people?

Also interested on shipping company experiences; mine will be shipped from RCR to west coast hopefully in late June. Would greatly appreciate the names of companies that handled the delivery well.

Thanks in advance.

Collin

Many have hung the spider from the ceiling (many techniques, but make sure the body is supported at the same width to keep from distorting the body)). As for the nose, tail and other fiberglass parts, we built a storage rack on wheels to hold both boxes and the body parts so it was mobile and we could move it as needed ( I included a picture). As for weight. its easily carried by two people but in a pinch one person can move each part, its not that heavy just bulky.

I used Silver Eagle Enclosed Auto Carrier. Delivered on time, direct to the house, not damage so pretty smooth delivery. Make sure you have plenty of help since the suspension is not aligned and no steering wheel connected so it wont turn. We used furniture dolly's from Harbor Freight to wheel it around....poor man solution.

Attachments

• DSC01809.JPG
    DSC01809.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 368
Thanks Dan

I have to work within an average sized double garage with the wife's car also inside; so most of the boxes will be piled up to one side; the spider is being hung from the ceiling using a kayak hoist and frame to hold in place; the rear clam I plan to store over top of the garage door and the front clam will be placed on a 4X8 sheet of plywood over top of my garage cabinets. Should work. I live in a condo so there's not much additional storage.

I will look into Silver Eagle Enclosed Auto Carrier to wether they deliver to the left coast - I live right on the border with Canada so not all carriers come this far west/north.

Thanks

That a pretty good haul. Lived in Spokane for about 8 years. Loved that area.

The good news about the build is as you progress you gain space, as more gets put on the car. I use it as a gauge of progress....:laugh:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Make a set of these. You will use them all the way through your build. Better than the ones you can buy. Mine set the car high enough that I can slide myself under it for retrieving dropped wrenches, nuts and bolts, and even doing things like attaching the bodywork hardware, starter motor. etc.

Fastenal has a really good catalog. Go to a local store and get one of theirs. Also I second McMaster Carr. Some other really good sources are. Aircraft Spruce, Pegasus Racing, and Summit Racing. For just about all the electrical stuff I like Allied.

https://www.fastenal.com/

McMaster-Carr

Pilot Supplies and Aircraft Parts from Aircraft Spruce

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/

Allied Electronics - Industrial Automation & Control Products Distributor

Attachments

• HPIM0613.JPG
    HPIM0613.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 327
  • HPIM0614.JPG
    HPIM0614.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 314
Thanks for the info Howard; I have a set of wheel dollies and also some wooden blocks that ride on the dollies for under the frame or suspension when I want to remove the wheels.

Re: On its way!

Just got notified by Vicki @ RCR that the car is on the auto hauler; should take about a week to get here (I am in the far NW corner of this great country!). The countdown begins.

SL-C has arrived

The auto haulers literally hauled ass across the country and delivered my SL-C on Monday morning only 4 days after it was loaded @ RCR. They got lost trying to find my place but eventually it arrived safely. They were great guys and as I live in a gated community the trailer had to be parked on the main street and we had to push the car up the road and then up my steep driveway (~15 degrees of slope!).

I did an inventory check on Tuesday and have been very slowly taking it apart in preparation for hanging the body sections from the garage ceiling.

Not too many parts were missing and most are already on there way here (thank you Vicki & RCR).

My first set of questions for those that have done it before me:

1. What size bolts are used to mount the roll cage onto the chassis?
2. Is there a trick to getting the rear wheel hub nut off - I plan on replacing all the wheel studs?
3. What is the easiest way to remove the air vent from the G96 transaxle to ready it to be inverted?

I am excited to get underway with this build though it will be slow as work and grand kids take up a lot of my time at present.

Will post again when I have some actual progress to report!
Ciao

Attachments

• SLC0002.JPG
    SLC0002.JPG
    244.2 KB · Views: 219
  • SLC0005.JPG
    SLC0005.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 230
  • SLC0007.JPG
    SLC0007.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 211
  • SLC0008.JPG