Graziano Install

Quick question,

When installing the graziano transaxle to an LS3 does the axle slide all the way along its shaft to mate cleanly to the adaptor plate or do you need to draw the two together with bolts to overcome the clutch springs?

Ok so for reference no mechanical force is needed to fit the Graziano to the LS3 adaptor plate, just a big hug as somebody said.

On first try I had a gap roughly the width of the pilot bearing but couldn't tell if the shaft had engaged in the pilot bearing or if the clutch's springs where holding off final mating and needed to be overcome buy bolting the two together.

I applied some grease to the splined shaft, slide it back in, took it back out and saw that it hadn't removed any grease from the smaller shaft where the bearing sits which confirmed it hadn't slid into the bearing.

I should also mention that Fran text me to tell they shouldn't need to be bolted together.( Thanks for that ) which confirmed I had an alignment issue.

A bit of adjustment with the hoist and load leveler and then a big hug and it slid in.

If I was doing it again I'd use an alignment tool just to be 100% sure everything was aligned but it's not really nessasary as the clutch assembly is fairly self centering.

Hope this is helpful.

The hydraulic throw out bearing gives some resistance so expect that. Taike the plug off the port on the bottom of the trans-axle to release some pressure. Place the clutch/flywheel on the trans-axle shaft before installing just to be sure it will go on easily before bolting it to the flywheel.
Leave it in neutral and put a bit of grease on the splined shaft. It also helps to put studs on the adapter plate where the alignment cups are so that there's support for the trans-axle when installing.

Thanks guys, I hadn't fitted a clutch since 1987, I was fairly sure it wasn't engaging with the pilot bearing but wanted a sanity check and its all together now.

One question, are the transaxle support rods and ends supplied with the kit?, I don't have any.

Onto the electrics this coming week!

One question, are the transaxle support rods and ends supplied with the kit?, I don't have any.

Yes. You should have 4 rods for the back of the car. Two support the trans.

Note my left side bar is shorter than 'stock' as I have a spacer between the bracket and trans.

IMG_5397.JPG

Back