SLC at Mecum

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Not a good sign...as more and more of these come up for sale the market prices seem to be falling.

Given the following the SLC has, this is perplexing. Richard "Gas Monkey" can clear coat a rusty 50 year old pickup and it sells for more than an SLC...WTF???

Doug

The SLC has never been billed as a high end car, as it should be. Advertising says it can be built for $80k, which it can. The problem is that most of us have well in excess of $100k+ in our cars without labor. The car is like none other on the market yet we are hard pressed to get parts money out of our builds, and it will stay that way until the "cheap build" perception changes. I realize it's a labor of love, but we shouldn't be expected to give money away, if I wanted to do that, I would get married and divorced again.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There is only one car on here that can command high resale price. It does start with an S.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Boy...they sure went overboard with the photos, didn't they.

That usually indicates there's not too much to see...or, put another way, 'not too much someone wants us to see.

I think it's just the stigma of a "kit car". As soon as you say that word, it is perceived as cheap (by those not knowing - which is like 98% of the public). Now say Instead hand built race car or something of the like and see how that perception changes. I'll be honest, I don't expect this perception to change anytime soon. If you want an appreciating asset (car) these are not the things to buy.

Kit cars arn't rocket science - people who want to buy and not build one generally know if they hold out they will eventually find one at a fire sale price.

My philosophy is if you won't pay the price i want you can go eat a dick for all I care.

Interesting. Didn't sell at $80K. Don't know why they put it on Tues, not all the right day at Mecum for a car in that price range.

Agreed. Tuesday is a terrible day to try to sell that car. $80k is by far the high bid of the day. Almost double the next highest bid.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Auctions are NOT the place to sell specialty cars like the SLC or even an SPF GT40. You are offering these to an audience that is looking for bargains and have no understanding/appreciation for these types of cars. You will get bottom feeder prices. The only bidders will be opportunity buyers who see a "deal"

Roll in the mud with the pigs and you WILL get dirty.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Considering it was added to the auction too late to get in the catalog, and it was on Tues, I think it's actually a good sign that it got up to $80K. If they would have put it on Friday, it would probably have gone much higher.

Scott made a great point that I struggle in answering a lot when asked what is it.......I too hate to say kit car since many uneducated folks associate cheap with the kit car business.

So what consensus might we have amongst the owners on the "label" for a SLC?

:idea:

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
I'm really sorry to say this out loud but this particular build is not on par with any of the builds we at the factory assemble or the majority of you guys on the forum do either !!

Many many other cars have sold well in excess of this cars 80k reserve and deservedly so

When people say is it a kit car ?
I say no, There's this English Bloke in Detroit who makes these custom built, one of kind race cars. If you want one, you have order it and wait about a year depending on how busy he is, they come unfinished, then you finish them the way you like, saves you tons of cash. If you would like this one its only $200,000.00

+1. I never use the word kit.

What is it?
"A hand built race car that I have decided to make street legal."

Blank stare

Nobody cares what it's called, they want to know what it is. Cars with SL-C logos all over it get the same question.

A.J.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
FYI.. an RCR40 just sold at Mecum for $110K

Allan sold his car at a quick and easy sale price for him...he also has the advantage that he had less invested than most due to his build skills so didn't feel the need to recoup 'x" amount that many others have paid outside contractors to paint etc etc their builds..

He already had his GTR on order too, which he is feverishly finishing

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Like many here, the term "Kit" is one which I do not care for, nor do I use it when discussing these cars. I know of absolutely no one here who has built any of these cars, regardless of the manufacturer, that got absolutely 100% of everything they needed to build the car to a finished product.
Indeed, there are many aspects and components of these cars that each of us have source or created independantly from the manufacturer.

These cars, as delivered by the manufacturers are no more a KIT than all the ingredients within my wife's cupboards are a Cake-Kit.

These cars are component cars. The definition of such may be something such as -
A collection of components and parts which comprise the majority of parts needed to assemble and craft a specialty car from.

IE, we are not taking a Metalflake P917 bathtub body and swapping it in an afternoon for the body off of a 1968 VW Bettle.

But you know what - there are precious few of us that would know the difference when standing back and looking at the final product.

Somehow, the term Kit-Car needs to be abandoned and I suggest that it start with the manufacturers and go from there..

I agree with Randy. I think Grant has it figured out. That sounds good. It is not uncommon for someone to pay 100k for a tack car just to run timed events with their friends. That has always been my market and I have had good results selling cars to that buyer.

Back