KOSO gauge vs LS3 Oil and Water Temp Senors

I know this has been done by many, but a "search" denies me the answer.

Starting to wire the car and the majority of the hookups are relatively straight forward, however there are a few mysteries.

I note the LS3 has its own oil and water temp sensors. The KOSO also has oil and water temps but different sensors. Is it possible to connect the KOSO to the existing LS3 oil and water temp sensors in parallel with the GM engine harness?

If not, I see that KOSO has a water hose adapter for their water sensor and an oil plug with a hole tap for their oil sensor (I guess we could drill and tap the oil plug and do the same as their part).

The question is for you LS3 folks, how did you connect the KOSO system to the LS3 oil and water sensors?

Thanks

Use the extra port on the opposite cylinder head for the Koso water temp, and use an adapter at the oil filter to add more 1/8" NPT ports for the oil pressure and temp. The Koso needs an adapter from it's metric size to the 1/8" NPT.

Pretty simple, really. :)

Thanks Will

Couldn't see the tree for the forest. Will explore the connections some more tomorrow.

Last edited:

Attachments

• oil temp fitting .jpg
    oil temp fitting .jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Great solutions.

Mike, I recognize the bottom sensor in your picture, but not the top arrangement. Was that part of your KOSO kit?

ecu water temp reads from the port on the driver front head

secondary water temp reading is from passenger rear head. note that it will read 5-10* cooler than the front (e.g., fans come on at 200* but the dash will typically only show 190-195*)

oil temperature can be taken from the remote block-off plate above the oil filter. unbolt the block off plate and install an adapter for npt:

CBM MOTORSPORTS LS STYLE BILLET OIL PAN UNION FITTING ADAPTER

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Putting the KOSO sending in the water pump, the temp reading on the gauge reads exactly the same as the ECU.

I drilled and tapped a hole in the water pump for the KOSO water temp sensor.

I used an adapter from Improved Racing (Oil Accumulator Adapter for LS Engines EGM-116) to plumb in my Accusump and it has two extra 1/8 npt ports that I used for the oil temp and oil pressure sensors.

Pete - what oil pan are you using? It looks like a factory GM unit? Also looks like you are not running an oil cooler? Have you monitored oil temps and do you have any thoughts about whether an oil cooler is necessary? Last bit - what are you running for your exhaust manifold and are there any clearance concerns/issues with your oil pan?

I was leaning toward finding a corvette oil pan for my crate ls3, improved racing thermostatic adapter and running their 25 plate cool cooler setup. Have been on the fence on whether an Accusump is necessary. Would appreciate your thoughts on your setup and my proposed setup given you've had yours on the road for a while now.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Cam,

That pic was before I swapped a Corvette pan in. Mine's a street car, don't plan on doing much track time so I'm not using an oil cooler, but I do have an Accusump. Don't know if it's necessary but I had one left over from my previous build, so I put it in.

Back