Let's talk carbon fiber

Hello Gents,

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I'm in the process of building my first BMW M powered SLC. My whole career involves modifying/repairing BMW which is why I chose to put a S85 in my Slc.
My build is moving along steadily considering there is so much modifying that has to be done.

Now that Ive got that out of the way I'd like to discuss carbon fiber options, quality and durability of interior/exterior items. Pros/Cons etc.

With my SLC I purchased quite a few carbon fiber items and am in the process of polishing those items. Considering I'm new at this what products do you guys recommend to give carbon fiber a glossy shine that will last ? Is it worth clear coating? I hear the gel coat can yellow over time if exposed to the sun? Also it seems I have one item that has a couple of hazy/foggy spots... Can that be wet sanded and buffed out? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Clear coating is really the only way to get a gloss to it. Alot easier to sand and polish out clear coat than it is resin anyways. Auto clear coat will also have uv blockers in it.
Hazy/foggy spots are not really repairable. If purchased that way, I would ask for a return if possible. If it is clear coated, and it is in the clear, then yes, sanding it down and reclearing can take care of it. Really just have to test and see though. If it is in the resin, not much can be done that I know of.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Scott
The parts have clear gelcoat and can be fully sanded and polished and then clear coated
Remember that carbon is a material and not a finish ..there is a reason that paganis with cosmetically appealing carbon bodies cost more than race car bodies , also made from carbon.

I didn't know he was referring to your parts. It sounded to me like it was some aftermarket type stuff, which could have been done any number of ways to create the "look".
Ya, those Pagani bodies are a work of art. I have laminated smaller parts, and a few full carbon parts with vinyl ester and clear coat, but to do big body panels like they do with all the contours and no noticeable weave blemishes is SUPER hard.

Daniel
Be very careful sanding the clear coat on the CF parts. DO NOT sand thru the clear coat and into the CF. You will wind up with a big blemish in the CF.

Thanks for your input guys. I guess I will have one of my detail guys give it a try. He's one of the best when it comes to getting out imperfections.

Pagany's cars uses the latest tecnology of carbon fiber molding for body panels which is to use prepeg epoxy carbon stuff layed in fully carbon prepeg mold and some for small parts in aluminium polished molds.
they are using for the first lay aspecific prepeg woven carbon clothes that is allready mixed with more than 100/100 resin ( normal CF is impregnated with 75to80/100 resin ratio) ;
This gives to the part when unmolded a rather excellent finich (depending of glossy of the mold in which the part have be laminated ; then all parts are carefully hand sanded and clear coated 3 times with asort of satin / gloss Polyuréthane 2 parts stuff
They where enought kind visiting them to explain this process as I wanted ( years ago !!) doing some similar process to my little chopper ( italian buid kit)

Attachments

• DSC00015.JPG
    DSC00015.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 245
Back