Tilton 3 way Resevoir vs Wilwood Master Cylinder Hose Adapter

Gents

Save me some work. For those that changed from the Wilwood Reservoir bottles due to persistent leakage and are now using the Tilton 3 way with push on hoses what hose are you using to connect the Tilton to the Wilwood master cylinder cap?

The wildwood hose is too small for Tilton and a Tilton hose is too big for Wilwood.

:idea:

Thanks

go buy some Goodyear Horizon* hose - it slips on nice and tight and uses a hose clamp to seal. It should be a common item at any hydraulic/hose shop.

*that's what goodyear calls their epdm hose, which you need to use otherwise fluid will weep out.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
I used Tilton hoses to an adapter to the Wilwood hoses, then secured all the junctions with Oeteker clamps.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Ran across this photo and thought someone might be interested. I had sent it to a friend regarding the use of Oeteker clamps.

Illustrates the Tilton reservoir attached to the gray Tilton hoses, which are in turn adapted (via metal adapters) to the smaller red Wilwood hoses that go to the master cylinders.

If you haven't used Oeteker clamps, they are worth consideration.....very size-specific.

This is not an SLC, it is an LMP-1, and the reservoir is in the left fender well. I will cover the whole unit with a clear adhesive film that will allow for protection, a detection of leaks, and yet is easily removable and replaceable.

Just how I did it,
David

Attachments

• 20161012_205050_1476337075799_resized.jpg
    20161012_205050_1476337075799_resized.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,004
I have never gotten any longevity from the Wilwood or Tilton hose before they leak. Years ago I started using the blue hose found on older Porsche 911s. I get it from Pelican Porsche,sold by the foot,at a reasonable price. It has a nice blue braided cloth covering and it really holds up through the years.

Dave

In my case I did toss the Wilwwod reservoirs as many have done and added the Tilton. As we all discovered the hose sizes for the two brands differ and require an adapter.

Did you also mix the brands and need two hose sizes?

One would hope that brands that focus on brakes would source hoses that maintain its structural integrity over time.

Any other undesirable experiences with Tilton or Wilwood hoses out there?

:huh:

Another way to solve the problems of incorrect sizes and leaky hoses is to step up to the version of the Tilton tank that has AN fittings instead of hose barbs. This permits the use of Teflon hose and proper AN fittings at each end.

You guys are making this too complicated - go to any hydraulic hose store and buy Goodyear Horizon hose, size 3/8''. That will slip onto both the Tilton reservoir and the Wilwood master cylinders. Horizon is their epdm hose lineup; it will not leak/weep/seep/degrade/etc.... and should last many many many years (my sl-c has been 100% leak free since i swapped over to it)

Ken Roberts

Supporter
You guys are making this too complicated - go to any hydraulic hose store and buy Goodyear Horizon hose, size 3/8''. That will slip onto both the Tilton reservoir and the Wilwood master cylinders. Horizon is their epdm hose lineup; it will not leak/weep/seep/degrade/etc.... and should last many many many years (my sl-c has been 100% leak free since i swapped over to it)

How can you fit a 3/8" hose on a Tilton reservoir that has a 5/16" hose barb and a Wilwood master cylinder that has a 1/4" hose barb?

I've found a trick to mount a -3 AN nipple on the Wilwood masters. I can share details if anybody is interested.

So apparently Wilwood is quite aware of how poorly engineered their reservoir connectors are and have introduced some products to remedy that. This is a part I tracked down that is used in one of their upgrade reservoir kits but I was only interested in upgrading the master connection which is the weaker link in my opinion. It's a $10 adapter that screws to the inside of the master inlet and gives you a -3 AN:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil-220-13130

You'll need to check your master cylinders however, some of the older ones aren't machined on the inside to accept this. In my case my 7/8" master cylinder was from older stock and didn't have it. If you haven't installed one of the older ones Willwood might do an upgrade for you, or you can just machine it yourself.

The trick to getting the reservoirs to seal apparently is to heat them in hot water just before installing them over the plastic connectors. It's a crappy design for sure but that method seems to have worked for me so far. No leaks since I installed it a year ago.

Attachments

• IMG_2569.JPG
    IMG_2569.JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 348
How can you fit a 3/8" hose on a Tilton reservoir that has a 5/16" hose barb and a Wilwood master cylinder that has a 1/4" hose barb?

Oh, i see why the problem - I'm assuming you're using the cast aluminum full body master cylinders, not those crappy stubby black master cylinders.

Back