SLC Delivered! (Allan's SLC #17)

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
For those of you who missed the youtube upload - here she is completed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McRU3rKAWSk&t

This is Allan's #17 and it turned out beautiful. He's a gem of a guy and I count myself fortunate I had the opportunity to work with him. I'd also like to thank RCR (Fran, Vicki and Kristin) for their help both before and after placing the order, and Cam Macissac for taking me out on a drive last year and helping get me off the fence. The end result is truly spectacular and I can't wait to get it fully shaken down and out to COTA.

On the car - I really liked what Fran had developed in the kit, knew I wanted to use the car regularly/have reasonable serviceability, so we stuck to as much of the proven formula as possible. For me that meant an LS3 motor (the LS376-525hp), a Graziano transaxle and mostly factory bodywork.

There are a lot of custom touches on the car - but two I don't think I've seen before are the Audi R8 gated shifter and a set of drop gears for the Graziano that make the OEM gearing a better fit with the LS motors' torque.

Now that the car is here, I'm planning to be on here a lot more regularly... I'll post some videos up of the car driving - well, hah, after I tend to a few projects courtesy of the shipping company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHVyqkYl0eQ

First start video for those who missed it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZvwjftnH7g

Best,
John

Attachments

• Finished.jpg
    Finished.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 459
  • 65613.jpg
    65613.jpg
    398.5 KB · Views: 523
  • 65579.jpg
    65579.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 460
John, your car is truly one of a kind!! I hope my SLC will look as good as yours Allan is done with it. I may have to steal a few ideas from your car including the r8 shifter..:thumbsup:

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Thanks Dan! I saw your car patiently waiting for mine to get off the operating table when I made a trip up to visit a few weeks ago.

Allan told me about your plans with the shifter. Damn you man!!
Just kidding - I borrowed a lot of ideas from others and glad they were open to sharing. From the couple test drives I've made, I'm really happy with the decision. Check out Race-seng for some shift knobs that fit the shifter post well.

Hey - I'll have the only one for at least a couple months, eh?

what is that shrieking noise - bad throwout bearing and/or clutch? sounds like it'll be drivetrain out soon =(

Michael Fling

Supporter
Your car is stunning for sure!The gated shifter is a cool deal. I love the red! Allan turns out cars that look like they are from the factory. Envy....

John,
I ordered a shifter from raceseng.com. They have a very nice selection of custom shifters. I ended up ordering the orbature with red translucent core and the engraved shift gate 6 option . BTW you should post up an in car test drive video. Very curious what your first test drive was like.

Looks great John,
Nice having another John in Texas with a SLC. :)

Hopefully we can get all the Texas guys together at some point.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Ya, really nice car. I really like red cars, I always want one but seam to never paint one red. Not sure why............. Anyway you need to find out what that wining clutch release noise is. It could just be a throw-out bearing. Or it could be telling you that the input shaft of the gearbox is being damaged. Find out now before it gets really expensive. But it isn't nothing and it's not going away on it's own.

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Thanks for the comments, all!

Daniel - Raceseng created that option 6 just for us about 3 months ago.
it'll be some time before the car will be repaired and I can get it out on the road. Can you believe Plycar won't give me their insurance information? Straight refused.

John - Cam, Cody and Howard had all suggested the same thing around a track day. I've got friends running regularly in several of the main driver's ed groups. I'll find one that looks good and see if we can make it happen.

Howard - have a lot of theories, but haven't gotten it apart yet. Looking like week-after-next until I know the culprit. Highly suspect clutch based on the shipping company driving the car ~ 3 miles with the emergency brake engaged.

Cam - yep, I think I'm the first here in Austin! Howard's move to New Braunfels doesn't count since that's just a suburb of San Antonio!

Howard's move to New Braunfels doesn't count since that's just a suburb of San Antonio!

NO. It doesn't count because it defected from Kalifornia! HELL we're going to have to build a wall..... Berlin did it.

I still count it here. You Texans have too many SLCs as it is. Freeakin state is going to sink into the gulf under the weight.

NO. It doesn't count because it defected from Kalifornia! HELL we're going to have to build a wall..... Berlin did it.

I still count it here. You Texans have too many SLCs as it is. Freeakin state is going to sink into the gulf under the weight.

Ha!
Texas can't fall into the gulf because..... Oklahoma sucks. :)

(Sorry Fling, couldn't resist)

Yes very nice, I'd have to say Allen's has it down to a science now, nice job. let us know what you find out for the cause of that noise, something isn't quite right.
enjoy the car :)

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about the clutch, I can't believe they didn't give you their insurance info.
Did you by chance take a in car video of your test drive?

HCF - John

Gearbox / Brake Systems
Hi John,

Sorry to hear about the clutch, I can't believe they didn't give you their insurance info.
Did you by chance take a in car video of your test drive?

Finally got it all underway - turns out there's a regulatory agency that not only makes all that information publicly available, but also frowns upon unethical behavior.

Once I get this all sorted out I'll have plenty of videos to share!

Back