Stephan's SLC Build Log

Stephan E.

Supporter
Stephan's SLC Build Threat

Hello fellow current and future SLC owners. My name is Stephan and I just received the majority of my 2017 white SLC on Sunday, February 25th. Graziano, flywheel and Infinity box still to come due to backorders... I am in the Yardley, PA area wanted to introduce myself. I am certain I will bug the living daylight out of this forum with a million questions along the way...

A brief intro about the car

LS setup for Graziano
Carbon tub, carbon wing & splitter. Carbon seats and door covers, dash and front splitter. 12" x 20" in the rear with 335-25-20 Pilot Sport Cup 2, 10" x 19" in the front with 285-35-19 Pilot Sport Cup 2.

I already purchased the Bosch starter for the Graziano on Amazon for amazing $179.00 new with no core charge and no shipping The ring gear was $147.00. The clutch was an interesting find. I decided to use a dual friction clutch with Ceramic and Kevlar facings based on the Lambo V10 pressure plate. Good for a lots of torque and HP. The price was acceptable considered that some companies asked me for my 401K.

I'll be back with some pictures soon...

Attachments

• SLC_Home3.jpg
    SLC_Home3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • SLC_Home1.jpg
    SLC_Home1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,079
Last edited:

Howard Jones

Supporter
Re: Stephan's SLC Build Threat

We all want to help. If you just want to talk to someone PM me a phone number and I'll give you a call. Have fun. A little each day will get er done.

Congrats! Nothing like the day it arrives and you get to stare at it for hours!

Stephan E.

Supporter

Congrats on your wise purchase!
Which LS are you going to use?

Hello Rich,

It took me three years to finally do it. The kit is set up for LS but the new LT's are really coming around more. I spoke to Fran and if I change my mind I'll exchange all related parts for LT components. It will take a year or so to get closer to that decision making moment. If LS, I am considering a de-stroked LS 7, flat plane crank and ITB for high RPMs. I could stick with the close ratio Transaxle. If I decide to implant a drop gear, it will be a different setup.

Time will tell...

Earl Mitchell

Supporter

Congrats Stephan on the new adventure,I leave tomorrow from south jersey to go pick mine up.Id like to meet up some time to compare notes,I don't think were that far from each other I'm in Franklinville NJ.That high revving engine option sounds interesting as I'm debating on doing the drop gears as well as I only have the stock 376 crate motor.

Hello Rich,

It took me three years to finally do it. The kit is set up for LS but the new LT's are really coming around more. I spoke to Fran and if I change my mind I'll exchange all related parts for LT components. It will take a year or so to get closer to that decision making moment. If LS, I am considering a de-stroked LS 7, flat plane crank and ITB for high RPMs. I could stick with the close ratio Transaxle. If I decide to implant a drop gear, it will be a different setup.

Time will tell...

careful with the ITBs - i went down that path on my built LS3 and ultimately spent a crap load of money on them & peripherals and ended up selling them.

no matter what we did the car would only idle properly with ~0-3* of timing, meaning headers were glowing cherry red after idling for 4-5 seconds.

i chatted with multiple LS guys using ITBs and everybody had the same issue - some gave up on them, others used them and dealt with the problems like burnt head gaskets, and others who were using them in race motors (i.e., go all the time, no idle) were okay with it.

i completely agree with the saying that the happest day of your life is when you unbox a set of ITBs and stick them on your engine, then the next happiest day is when you remove them and put on a normal intake manifold.

Stephan E.

Supporter

careful with the ITBs - i went down that path on my built LS3 and ultimately spent a crap load of money on them & peripherals and ended up selling them.

no matter what we did the car would only idle properly with ~0-3* of timing, meaning headers were glowing cherry red after idling for 4-5 seconds.

i chatted with multiple LS guys using ITBs and everybody had the same issue - some gave up on them, others used them and dealt with the problems like burnt head gaskets, and others who were using them in race motors (i.e., go all the time, no idle) were okay with it.

i completely agree with the saying that the happest day of your life is when you unbox a set of ITBs and stick them on your engine, then the next happiest day is when you remove them and put on a normal intake manifold.

Thanks for the info,

I know those ITbs can be a nightmare. If I go ITB, my preference is with the Harrop Hurricane for all the good reasons you just listed even others look better. Lots of time to decide which transmission ratio and engine will be the chosen ones. Any input is welcome. I don't want to go through these experiences losing time and tons of money.

Cheers

Stephan E.

Supporter

Congrats Stephan on the new adventure,I leave tomorrow from south jersey to go pick mine up.Id like to meet up some time to compare notes,I don't think were that far from each other I'm in Franklinville NJ.That high revving engine option sounds interesting as I'm debating on doing the drop gears as well as I only have the stock 376 crate motor.

We will certainly do that. Congrats and good luck with the transport. You are about 90 minutes from my house. Post some pics when you got it.

Cheers

Howard Jones

Supporter

My thoughts on gear ratios.

First you will need to decide the final drive. This all really starts here. I would recommend a 3.3 - 3.5 final for a duel use 5 speed car. You could go a bit lower if you have a 6 speed. 3.2 maybe and set 6th as you freeway gear. Track only car will work best if you figure out the top speed you will need. I used 170mph for mine. You should ask other open track guys in you area or intended track or tracks what they would recommend. But 170 is very fast and most tracks just don't have those speeds. So I will assume a 3.44 final and a 28 inch tire as I proceed. Things are rounded here to make it simple. I will link a good gear calculator at the end.

1. Ff you intend to drive the car on the street and in traffic then 1st gear should be selected to start the car from a rest at traffic lights without a lot of clutch slipping drama. A lower gear here is also very useful for crawling around the paddock and getting on the trailer. 2.8 to 3.0 will work well here. Don't keep lower 1st's such as the 3.5s in the Audi's and the Porsches. Its worth it to change them in my opinion. I did and used a 2.8 for first.

2. If you intend to drive hours on the freeway. Pick a freeway speed, 75 is a good one for me, and a engine rev that suits the engine as well as other factors such as cabin noise, etc. Then select top gear, 5th or 6th, to work for you.

3. I have a 1.73 2nd and it is the go to gear under 70mph, abet still gobs of traction issue at anything near full power, (500hp in my SLC and about 350 in GT40)

4. 3rd and forth. First 4th gear should be 1 to 1 and will get you to about 140mph with a 6500 rev limit. On many tracks this will be your top gear. 3rd will, believe it or not, will be your down shift gear for slow corners for just about all the corners at most tracks unless the corners makes a 150 degree or more direction change. Really at most tracks you will do the whole day in 3rd and 4th and be just fine. Mine are 3rd 1.73 and forth .98 & 1 to 1.

So dual use car.

1st 2.7- 2.9
2nd 1.75
3rd 1.38
4th 1 to 1
5th Only .85 (this about 2900 @ 75mph)
5th with 6th .89 (this will be about 3k on revs at 75 mph)
6th .7 (big top speed number but would be a great cruise speed, noise, fuel number etc.)

http://www.tremec.com/calculadora.php

OMG, that is funny. I think sometimes that fact that English is my second language simply catches up with me.

I think it's actually really fitting for these types of projects!

My wife is SE Asian, so I'm used to the translation/accent hilarity!

Back