Visibility of Koso Gauge

I finally got around to test fitting the dash, Koso gauge and steering wheel.

With the seat in the most rearward position and flat on the floor and the steering wheel positioned comfortably, I can’t see the Koso gauge through the top half of the steering wheel. Lowering the steering wheel doesn’t give me any room for my legs and also blocks a view of the gauge; the steering wheel won’t go any higher. I’m only 5’ 11”!

Anybody else have this problem and figure out a solution?

Thanks

Attachments

• Koso0001.JPG
    Koso0001.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 384
looks like you need to raise the steering wheel higher - koso or digidash, no way you could view the dash with the wheel like that. Maybe adjust the mount?

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
It looks like your dash is sitting higher than it should. Is something stopping it from sitting flush on the top of the footboxes?

Here's mine:
DSC_0899_zpsb2f7d7a2.jpg

I had the same problem on mine. I'm the same height as you. I cut down the height of the spacers that the bolts go through that hold the steering column to the tub as much as possible. This moves the column up. I ground the nylon stop on the tilt column to give me one more "click" of upward travel. More than that, and the angle of the wheel is is bad. The dash was as low as i could get it. I still couldn't see the redline on the tach. I do have a bit smaller diameter wheel (320mm?). So I cut out the entire mounting surface in the dash for the Koso and mounted the Koso directly to the chassis. The lowest possible way to mount it. And now the wheel doesnt block the view of the tach at all. It was a ton of work, though. Because it meant I had to do a lot of redesign and fiberglass work.

A.J.

I think Pete and Alex are right. There's plenty of visibility for a person your height with the gauge and dash installed correctly.

Smaller diameter wheels don't help any, but I think the first problem looks like a dash that is too high combined with a column that could be adjusted.

I'm a little taller than you, and I see mine perfectly, even with a range of wheel adjustments. But I have a slightly larger wheel than most.

I think it would help everyone if you stood back a little farther in to a better photograph. I think that everyone can answer will agree that we can't really see how your is sitting The chassis relative to the chassis. You should begin fitting the instrument panel once the body is set in place. Great idea of the correct height of the IP.

I am building the GT-R, but I had a similar problem. I "reverse engineered" and figured out where I wanted the steering wheel and relocated the steering column from the foot well wall to the base of the dash support beam to achieve that position. The mid column support bracket had to have 3.25 inches of spacer added to get the column approaching the dash from a low enough angle, then had to have 1.0 inch spacer at the dash support attachment point. I also shortened the steering column 1.5 inches.

I know the measurements will not apply to the SLC, but I found in playing around that the column mounting can make a great deal of difference in steering wheel angle and position as well as the visibility of the gauges.

i think his dash is fine. Looks like the same amount of crossbeam showing as mine, and my wheel provides perfect visibility of dash.

pretty sure his steering mounting is wrong (too low)

Attachments

• alex_dash.jpg
    alex_dash.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 315
Again, I know this is a different car, but my problem was too flat of a steering column angle. The first two photos are with the tilt completely up and completely down, and the steering wheel was just too low. By putting spacers to change the angle of the steering column, the range of the tilt became usable. I had too short of a spacer at the dash support beam the first time. A longer spacer, further lowering the steering column, but increasing the steering column angle made it work perfectly. The last picture is with the tilt in the middle of it's range.

Attachments

• IMG_3265.JPG
    IMG_3265.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_3266.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3299.JPG
    IMG_3299.JPG