Body Cup Holders - Keep or Remove?

Gents, sorry for a thread on this, but got to ask.

Going to do some glass work on main body. Read several of you got rid of the "cup holders"., others drilled holes to drain. I don't see any practical need for them.

So before they get removed, any rational reason to keep them that I'm not seeing?

The front ones, when opened up, allow access to the door hinge and its environs. I find that very useful.

The rear ones probably just add rigidity. And a place to hold your drink when you are working on the engine. What other car has that feature? :)

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The front ones, when opened up, allow access to the door hinge and its environs. I find that very useful.

Dang, wish I'd thought of that. I cut holes behind the front tires and made aluminum access panels.

Did you ask Fran what purposes the "cup holders" serve? Just wondered. :)

Those moldings were originally designed for Corvette-style slam-latches. The current Aerocatches obviated the slam-latch model, as well as hiding the latch mechanism, and making assembly easier. The moldings remained since it wasn't worth modifying the molds just to take them out- especially when they served a secondary purpose.

Will

Good idea to use it as an access panel for the hinges. Never crossed my mind....I like it.

As for the rear ones, I'm not a drinker when I tinker........man is that bad....lol.

Following Will's general suggestion to me on this subject a month ago - I 'over' cut the front holders in my car as it is the ONLY access to the area behind the tires. I optimized the opening referencing the shape of the foot box under the body in that area. IMO this is a great option to include in a build, I plated the area over with a thin cover of aluminum.

History 101: The pockets were where one was supposed to locate the originally spec'd and supplied round VW Bug based front and rear cover latches. I don't know of any build that used them.

Back