Mike's Build

Haven't been the best poster of information on any of my former projects, but going to give this one a shot. It would be nice to have a photo history of the build - I don't tend to be good at keeping up with pictures either so maybe this will force me to do it. I have been modifying cars and trucks all my life, and I have always wanted some type of exotic to complete my collection. I was originally going to buy something but my daughter put the brakes on that - she has a thing about buying something anyone can have and much prefers when we do a bunch of fabrication and make something totally unique. We are just finishing a scratch built hot rod which has taken more time than I thought it would, so I started to look at kits and component cars as a way to avoid having to think out things like how wide to make the foot box and how long the upper and lower control arms need to be but still have the option to have something that is one of a kind.

I have been looking at some of the builds on this site and love the fact that each one has unique elements so no two are alike. After visiting several other kit and component manufacturers that had limited offerings of drive train options often based on their reliance on donor vehicles, I went to visit Fran in March and put in my order in April. 16 weeks later (today), it loaded onto a truck headed for Florida (I live in the Orlando area).

I ordered all 17 stages of build so I will have all of the parts at the beginning of the build. Also got the carbon fiber dash and tub, adjustable pedals, extended foot box, dropped floor and front suspension lift. Going to get most of this assembled, then go back for the rest of the interior and transaxle in the spring. Haven't decided how everything is going to be finished, but there are plenty of ideas in the threads on this site to help with that.

As for my time line, that is up in the air too. Between my work schedule and my daughter's school schedule, progress tends to go slow on our projects. But speed of completion has never been a concern - it is more about the journey than the destination. I will take a day in the shop over a day in the hot sun at a car show any time.

Looking forward to posting pictures as I go and looking for advise from those who have built one before. From what I have seen of the projects to date, there are some amazing cars out there to help with the project.

Attachments

• Loading up.jpg
    Loading up.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 763

Earl Mitchell

Supporter
Well congrats on the new project.What are you powering with ?I assume you were talking about FF when you mentioned donor car and that would be GM most likely.I too get wrapped up in the build and dont take many pics.

Drive train will follow suit with the rest of my cars - Gen III Hemi. Just have to decide if I go normally aspirated or supercharged - perhaps my Hellcat could have a trunk fire and the engine would become available. The drive train was the primary selling point for the SL-C - Fran was more than happy to accommodate while others didn't even want to consider anything but an LS. With 4 other Mopars in my garage, I couldn't go any other direction.

That should be an interesting build. I don't believe anyone has done the MOPAR thing with an SL-C. Keep us posted Mike.

Arrived this morning. Still working inventory - there are a few brackets I need to figure out but all seems to be there. May need some help if I can't figure it out soon. Still removing tape residue, waiting for it to cool off tonight to finish. Thing looks lower and wider in the garage. Looking forward to blowing it apart and starting the build.

Attachments

• DSC_3931.JPG
    DSC_3931.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC_3933.JPG
    DSC_3933.JPG
    407.8 KB · Views: 574
Before it got too hot to work in the garage, found out that a cover for an Acura NSX fits pretty good and came up with an adjustable height movable platform to work on.
Time to go in the pool and cool off!

Attachments

• 20170819_225746.jpg
    20170819_225746.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 589
  • 20170820_095931.jpg
    20170820_095931.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 732
Mike

Clever idea for mobility. That will be very handy. I have a three car garage and once the body came off; storage for those parts plus work space for the car, the wife's car of course, all really became an issue for me. Are you planning to hang body parts or do you have additional storage somewhere?

We will watch the Hemi-fied SLC with interest. Full speed ahead!

Cover is from a 2005 NSX.
I have the same issue with a 3 car garage that I clean up nightly to put in my wife's car. Is especially tough when I am welding and grinding which I did a lot of on the last project. This one should be a bit cleaner. The wheels also lets me push it up to the wall for more room to get in and out, but still easy to get out and work on.
I rent some space near my house for my other cars and there is room there for the body.

Lift is a EZ Car Lift. Have had it for a while and have lifted everything from my wife's SUV to my Charger with it. It uses a 1/2" electric drill for power to raise/lower so it is pretty light and can be stowed easily. I think they are rated to 4400 lb although when you get close to the limit if you don't have a pretty heavy duty drill it won't work well but for the SLC it lifted it easily.

You may have to do something about the weight distribution when you have the engine and gearbox in the back. You may need to strap or bolt the front down somehow.

That problem can't come soon enough. Can't wait to drive it. Long way to go.

Has anyone put on on the scales to get the weight distribution on a street prspared SL-C?

Now I know why they call them Superlite - put the rolling chassis on the scales with the body, weighed in at 1340 lb. Distribution 52% front/48% rear. Going to check periodically through the build. Pulling the body off this weekend so I can start the chassis build. Have a few things on back order that I need to wait for (including the wiring harness) but have plenty of other stuff to do.

Attachments

• Scale.jpg
    Scale.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 551
  • Car on scales.jpg
    Car on scales.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 568
Subscribing as well. We got our cars around the same time so will be interesting to follow and see how your build goes compared to mine...maybe even some motivation to get more done if I fall behind you. :)

I was wondering what the weight without drivetrain was and someone asked the distribution, so thanks for that issue. I'll be interested to see how the weight goes up as you get further along. What transaxle are you using?

I intend to take weights as I go just out of curiosity. If there is any info you want, just let me know. I like the idea of motivation to keep it going. My last project stalled a few times and it wasn't without an external kick in the pants that got it going again - that's why it took 8 years and it still is in primer - I may not be the best at motivation.... This one I would actually like to get to the road trip stage. I also want to do a little better job of taking pictures along the way so I intend to use this space to document the progress.

Going to work on disassembly over the next few weeks in between travel I have coming up. Put in my first of what I know will be many orders to Summit Racing last night to get some materials to start routing lines and doing the sound insulation. Also need to get the throttle pedal and figure out how to modify it to fit the pedal assembly. Not sure how close the Mopar pedal is to a chevy pedal, but will soon find out. Mopar Performance just came out with a new 392 Hemi crate engine with complete wiring and ignition package which includes the throttle pedal that I will be using.

I am going to be using a Graziano transaxle but won't be getting it until early next year when I order the engine.

I intend to take weights as I go just out of curiosity. If there is any info you want, just let me know. I like the idea of motivation to keep it going. My last project stalled a few times and it wasn't without an external kick in the pants that got it going again - that's why it took 8 years and it still is in primer - I may not be the best at motivation.... This one I would actually like to get to the road trip stage. I also want to do a little better job of taking pictures along the way so I intend to use this space to document the progress.

I with you on that, motivation is hard right now with this heat. I'll be following your thread to see the progress and if no replies for a while I'll give ya a bump. :)

I will do likewise. Last Saturday I couldn't get more than an hour in before I had to jump in the pool to cool off. Florida is pretty bad this time of year.

Re: Mike's Mopar SL-C Build

Battening down the hatches here in Florida, but in the middle of storm prep the door bell rings and instead of a neighbor looking for a hand I find this pretty cool looking box. Not going to do anything, but having the first piece of the drive train is one step closer to getting everything together. Interesting that UPS had a box from Summit Racing that was supposed to deliver yesterday and they cancelled the deliveries but Fec Ex delivered today.
Talked with Kristin at RCR yesterday, they are holding the shipment of a few bits that were on back order until the storm passes - one less thing for me to worry about.
Now to find a safe spot for my new box......

Attachments

• Electronics box.jpg
    Electronics box.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 549
Back