Scandinavian SL-C build

Johan

Supporter
Hello forum members,a short intro, my name is Johan, live in Sweden and I received my SL-C a week before cristmas last year.
Back in the middle of the -80 I lived in the US for almost three years. During the initial period I shared an apartment with an american guy who later became my best friend.(And still is)
One of the first days I was trying to brake the ice by asking him of his height and weight.
So I asked: Hey buddy how long are you? Of course he was l laughing his balls off and the ice was broken.
Why am I telling you this? Well, if I’m writing something really stupid here on the forum it’s because english is not my native language. So please bear with me.

When it comes to the car it is a street tail and I ordered most of the options including the Graziano. LS3 out of a 2013 Camaro, but I will skip the infinity elec.
I have the Holley dominator fadec and it takes care of pretty much everything exept head/tail lgt and LH/RH blink.
I have already had a lot of help and picked up some great ideas here, so I hope I can contribute with something in future.
I’ll try to post updates as frequent as I can.

Hey Johan - welcome and great to hear how the SLC is going international. I am sure your car will be very unique among the sea of Volvos! Looking forward to hearing more about your build progress and of course - load up some photos when you have a chance! It’s always fun to see how others are making their SLC unique.

Stephan E.

Supporter
Hello Johan,

Good to have you and welcome to the clubhouse. How is the project coming along? Please post some pictures.

Cheers,

Stephan

It was great to meet you in person last week in Naples. Please let me know if I can be of help. This Forum is just an awesome way to share ideas and levels of experience. We look forward to seeing what you are doing.

Johan - I think it is traditional to post photos of when the car was delivered! What was the experience like having it shipped so far?

Johan

Supporter
Finally I managed to upload photos to my post. It was after a good portion of help of Mr CamT. Again Cam, thanks a lot.
As you might understand me and computers does´nt add up.

My car arrived a week before cristmas and it had been a nice Winter up until then, not a single snowflake. Winter came the day we picked up the car. A normal 4 hour drive turned into a 9 hour.
1iWpk00.jpg

After the engine was in Place I started construct the exhaust. I thought I had a clever solution to connect the LS7 manifolds to a collector. As it turned out I had invented the wheel again. I later discovered it had been done before. It is all Stainless with Flowmaster dxb mufflers.
dpOAYxX.jpg
dK7MtL8.jpg
https://imgur.com/TKki7uW.jpg[/IMG]
Lsbidcv.jpg

Nice work Johan, very clean welds! Are those catalytic converters immediately after the collector?

I like the red - are you planning to keep it in gel coat or will you be painting?

You need to make a slight correction to one of your photos, the IMG in square brackets got moved to the wrong spot! This image here ...

TKki7uW.jpg

Johan

Supporter
Dusted off the old Kemppi tig, I have´nt used it for at least 12 years, still working but for some reason it does´nt weld that good anymore. Or it might be me. Most likely so.
Cooling system next.
Decided to go with Stainless. I ordered a bunch of 1,5" j-bends from Summit.
Also added a bung for a drain plug on both sides of the footbox, lowest point in the system and easy accessable.
I had good help from a frien to fabricate a fan shroud.
kpWDHaz.jpg

BBEab7R.jpg

VHzw1W7.jpg

tPYEGc5.jpg

I´m trying to have the engine compartment as clean as possible, routing everything forward. there is not a single wire in the Holley harness I have´nt shortend or lengthend.An advantage is that not a single wire is close to any heat source. Disadvantage is I had to repin the injector harness, I just hope I got it right.
I also relocated the coils just to get rid of the ugly coil brackets.
I´m planning to cut down the bosses on the covers and then powder coat them.
Changed the fuel system from a returnless to a dual inlet and used the old(stock) inlet for return via the regulator to the tank.

g3mK5Wq.jpg

Cf8VopH.jpg

bNipid9.jpg

Johan

Supporter
Ok, next up was cooling. I elected to go stainless all the way. Added a bung for drain plug on each side of the footbox, lowest point and easy accessable. I´m just not happy about the hose on the pump outlet, looking for a stainless 90-bend to weld on.
A buddy of mine working at a company making dehumidifyer for Boeing made me a radiator shroud. Exellent fit, I gave him the measurements and he made a cad drawing and and the machine just spit it out. Impressive, at least for me who is not the best friend to computers.
Cam, the cat´s are Flowmaster stainless, I have not been able to get a straight answer if I need them or not for inspection/registration, but better safe than sorry. About the color, it depends of which week you ask me. right now I´m pretty much into red, the 2017 Mazda have a very nice red metallic or maybe candy red, we´ll see.
MT7ZTGM.jpg

chhRfWv.jpg

VHzw1W7.jpg

JrgvEDj.jpg

Johan

Supporter
Ok, next up was cooling. I elected to go stainless all the way. Added a bung for drain plug on each side of the footbox, lowest point and easy accessable. I´m just not happy about the hose on the pump outlet, looking for a stainless 90-bend to weld on.
A buddy of mine working at a company making dehumidifyer for Boeing made me a radiator shroud. Exellent fit, I gave him the measurements and he made a cad drawing and and the machine just spit it out. Impressive, at least for me who is not the best friend to computers.
Cam, the cat´s are Flowmaster stainless, I have not been able to get a straight answer if I need them or not for inspection/registration, but better safe than sorry. About the color, it depends of which week you ask me. right now I´m pretty much into red, the 2017 Mazda have a very nice red metallic or maybe candy red, we´ll see.
MT7ZTGM.jpg

chhRfWv.jpg

tPYEGc5.jpg

Johan

Supporter
I´m trying to make the engine compartment as clean as possible. All electrical wires and fuel lines is routed forward. Don´t think there is a single wire in the Holley harness I have´nt shortend or lengthend, this also keeps it away from heat sources.
I also made a modification to the fuel sys. The stock LS3 inlet became the return to tank via the regulator and then I welded a fitting on each of the rails(Dual inlets). That way I know the set pressure is what it should be, no pressure drop up to the rail. Relocated the coils for the same reason, clean look.
dBKcaTl.jpg

g3mK5Wq.jpg

bNipid9.jpg

5xzuzm8.jpg

Johan

Supporter
The Holley Dominator comes with a separate DBW harness and according toHolley it´s a no no to cut or lengthen it since it´s shielded, so I had to choose between modify it anyway or place the fadec where the harness reached both the pedals and the throttle body.
I mounted the fadec on a 3mm aluminium plate just 1/2" larger than the fadec itself, then made mounts out of polyamid plastic 20x20mm and cut 3,5mm tracks in them. Also cut a step on each side of the alu plate, that way I only have to pull it up/back about 2"to remove it.It´s not an optimal placement but it´s good enough and serviceable.
Ck536Sv.jpg

x2Vzr9y.jpg

vG9W1kh

Last edited:
Looks great Johan, clearly a lot of planning - everything looks very organized. That's a clever method for mounting the Dominator box.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Johan if you are planning on tracking your SLC then I'd suggest a minimum dry sump tank size of 2 1/2 gallons for a LS engine. Your picture looks like a 2 gallon tank.

The C6 Z06 Corvettes from 2006 to 2008 had a 2 gallon tank and it proved to be problematic with owners who installed stickier tires and coil over shocks. GM upgraded the tanks the next year (2009 and up) to hold about 2 1/2 gallons and that seemed to help stop the engine failures. They still use this expanded tank in the C7 Corvettes.

You can add a piggyback section to your tank as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_1750.JPG
    IMG_1750.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:

Johan

Supporter
Sorry about the double post. After first attempt I got a fail message that said the post should not be posted until........., then the message was gone. So I re-posted and now they are both ”online”.
So, I’m not drunk, just confused. J

Johan

Supporter
Ken, that piggyback lookes like a good idea, I will definetly consider it. However I believe the problem you’re talking about is mainly the Z06 ”semi drysump” .
I have the Bill Dailey system and he recommends 2 or 2,5 gallon tank so I think I’m good. It will be none or very little track driving.

Back