Bear claw - 1 click or 2?

In Allan's video of his bear claw installation he states the mechanism only latches until the first click. Is there a reason why it won't engage to the second click? I'm getting ready to locate and install my striker pin and want to be sure I don't install it in the wrong place if there's something that prevents it from engaging the second position.

Thanks!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
From this side of the pond has to be two clicks

And when latched the bearclaw must not be able to lift off the latching pin

Ian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've always used both "clicks". The ratchet appears to be sufficiently safe with one "click", but then should anything loosen up, then you'll get movement or play in the latch. Considering my project where there is no spring or foam cushioning to allow some amount of margin to fully engage both "clicks", yet also push against the latch (foam or spring) once engaged, it was a challenge to get it nearly perfect.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, I can’t believe that anyone would just rely on the first click. If you look at the jaws, they are just barely grasping the pin at that stage.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The guys with the remote control doors have no bear claw period. I always thought doors and hoods required a two stage latch system required by law/DOT.

Back