First SPF MKI Pictures

Ron Earp

Admin
I received these from SPF and thought I'd post them on the forum. Car looks good (except for that color, what is up with that! :)) and is reported to be the first SPF MKI, destined for England for Nigel Hulme, their importer I believe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,628
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 2,534
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2,533
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 2,551
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 2,545
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2,628
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,619
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,475
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 2,498
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,510
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,498
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,344
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,517

Ron Earp

Admin
And here are the rest of them...

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 2,475
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,745
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,406
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2,397
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,477
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,419
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,429
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,401
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,429
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,410
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,378
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,365
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,350
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,382

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Is that a single car or two different cars? I see an oval air cleaner on some of the photos and 8 individual air cleaners on some others.

Just curious--enquiring minds want to know.

Doug

Will not pass SVA/get road registered like that, will need a lot of mods to pass if to be used on the road. What a shame it has central shift !

wealdenengineer said:
Will not pass SVA/get road registered like that, will need a lot of mods to pass if to be used on the road. What a shame it has central shift !

Where there's a will, there's a way Frank:D - let's not deride another manufacturer of what, from the photos, looks like a quality build.

I'm sure that a side shift could be designed if required (is it an option?) and in general, I think the pictures show it in a good light. Will be good to view one in the flesh so to speak at some future time - any idea of ETA into the UK Ron?

One thing though - do the multi-filter arrangements flow enough air for single venturi fitment?

Ron Earp

Admin
They have side shift available for the cars. This is the first MKI and this does not show bearly all the options that are available, as far as I know. I'm sure they will get it registered for the road - what would be the point of producing such a pretty car and bringing it to England?

Paolo, not cheap but I'm not a SPF rep and am just basing this off the cuff and from what little I know about pricing. The roller would be $70k USD here. Then add AC, and some of the options to do with paint, sprites, etc. it'd be around $80k or a little more. Then throw in a Rousch motor at about $12k, transaxle around $10k, and you are looking at a $100k plus complete.

The funny thing will be when it gets to England - many times the dollar amount goes straight to English Pounds and I never understood how that worked. I remember the Superformance Coupes were like that, X dollars went straight to X pounds, even though the car was exactly the same. Hope that doesn't happen here.

R

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

The Air Con is standard.

Must walk funny now, pictures have caused all blood to leave brain......

But gotta have ANYTHING other than that "Gulf blue"!!!!!!

Having driven P1116 at the 1989 Glen GT 40 reunion, I have had the honor of selecting a gear two ratios too low as I passed the front straight grandstand....they thought I was downshifting for turn one when in fact I had just F'd up royal! I wanna do it again with a SPF MK I in white with a blue stripe.......or maybe silver like the Avengers car.....

RHD with RH shift.....something around 347 CID and 8 stack injection would do the trick. Faster than I can handle but enough to keep me trying!

Rick

It does look superb, and I'd say more than one pic is of the mkII car.
Cill shifter is offered if required from what I recall.

Ron's prices are about right, and his guess about $ to £ is unfortunately not far off the truth, but its not quite the 1 to 1 just yet (lets see what happens as orders flood in).
The demo car was being offered last year at a price of £45k, plus engine & trans at the NEC classic car show.

I can't wait for it to come to the UK and the opportunity to have a good look over it (assuming the salesman / owner will allow this).

CliffBeer

CURRENTLY BANNED
Car looks great. Obviously, some very nice period-correct touches like the oil cooler and the dash/instrumentation/knobs.

However, I think SPF has its work cut out for it with its dealer network. To be more specific, the Seattle dealer (Park Place) had no clue about the competition (CAV, RCR, etc.) nor GT40 history - the rep there said they expect their first car in December and it's an "absolute carbon copy of the 1971 LeMans winning car." Huh? 1971? I just walked away....

I tried to source the oil cooler when I was going to install one in my CAV.
I found only rebuilt ones for the Çontinental aircraft engines application, $600 each, and required a core. obviously, I didn't have a core so that project went flat.

Attachments

• Oil_Cooler.jpg
    Oil_Cooler.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,083

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mark Worthington said:
Maybe you blokes in the UK should source your SPFs through the US.

Keep in mind that the SPFs in the UK are sold as complete SVA approved cars, not as rollers. The Brock coupe there comes with a Roush engine package in the UK so the price difference is more understandable.

Rick

The car looks like the widebody rather than the narrow, as I had hoped. I
I'll take mine in guardsman blue.

Mark Clapp said:
I don't think that is a wide-body since the side skirts look fairly straight. The roof louvers are interesting on a MKI.

I think you may be right. I just re-checked an email from Lance Stander of Superformance I received last week.

"The MKI that we are producing is not the super wide flared rear body car but
the more popular and correct looking wide body version that was done between the narrow and super wide flared car."

I did not realize there were more than 2 variatons on the rear clip of the Mark I.

Last edited:
Back